Friday, March 10, 2017

Cutting down

Hi,

How's things? Hopefully ticking along nicely.

I have, at least for me, some minor good news. Over the last few weeks, a few friends have been saying how they've lost weight. I would usually reply that I'd found it.

Well, it seems I had the tipping point about two weeks ago. I was after some smart trousers (see later) and while trying on my go to size, 16, I realised that unless I started to cut down, it would be sayonara 16, as much as it was farewell 14.

What raised a wry smile was the recollection that as I got dressed (in bloke clothes) each morning, I was snubbing jeans or t-shirts that no longer fit. Instead, plumping - stop pointing at the back! :-) - shall we say, more generously proportioned troos. :-) I guess, faced with having to replace my female wardrobe with new larger sizes, when I've still got a skirt and dress I'd like to wear again, pushed a button in my head. Hence, I started a diet. Nothing too drastic, just no more booze (not that I'm a big drinker), fruit for lunch, lots of tea and avoiding snacks.

The good news is that over the last fortnight I'm down from 185lbs to 180lbs. Yes, this isn't a big number, but for me, there's a few things about it. Firstly, I'm finding it taxing, but not impossible. Previously, I'd be ravenous by the end of the day, and more than a little grumpy at being hungry. Secondly, it's progress in the right direction - not getting bigger! No doubt our Easter holiday will be a bit of a set back, but if I can be good at work, that's more days that are easier to cut down on, than weekends.

So, yeah, while I'll never be a Perfect 10 - if there is such a thing - so long as I can make the best of what I've got, I'll take that. I may have a bloke's build - after all, I'm a man - and all that goes with that. But I think I can, or maybe even have, learned to accept it. Listening to non-trans friends when they talk about their bodies, so much of it is similar. Yeah, maybe we trans folk have extra worries, but I think with work, time and help, we can get by those.

Chams-wise, Pat kindly organised for M & Co to visit, and they certainly seemed both jolly and very busy. We had an academic researcher visit us and Yvonne's questions and insights provoked some interesting discussions. More on that next week.

Take care,
Lynn

4 comments:

  1. Well done on the weight loss Mrs! I'm so coming back to Chams soon - looking forward to seeing you lovely lady! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've some way to go yet though. Hopefully I'll not fall off the wagon :-)

      I hope you're keeping as well as you can. Be good to see you again.

      Delete
  2. Sadly, trying to lose some [expletive] weight is a challenge I'm facing now too, though in my case I'm trying to tackle it mainly through exercise. I recently realized the amount of this I've been doing has been steadily decreasing over the years, due to a number of (sometimes surprising) factors: giving up running*, giving up going to the movies (since some of the cinemas I went to were situated a fair way from home or work, riding to them was another excellent way to get some additional exercise)**, and simply moving somewhere a lot closer to work, so that my commute time is now about half what it used to be (while that might be good from a time-saving perspective, it's lousy from a fitness perspective!). So, yeah, I've resolved to go for at least one really long ride each week, and have decided that if that means going for one after work sometimes, well, so be it. (I actually quite enjoy long rides, but found that it ended up being too easy to inadvertently let weeks elapse between them.) Wish me luck! If that doesn't work, well, I've heard that heroin and meth can work wonders when it comes to losing weight. Just kidding!

    *Not only did I use to do about an hour's worth of this most days, but just riding to the spot where I went for my daily jog would add an extra 30-40 minutes to the time I spent cycling each day.

    **Largely as a result of me becoming a grumpy old man who got heartily sick of many of his fellow moviegoers' seeming inability to STFU during pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the weight loss party, pal ;-)

      Good luck with the health routine. Hopefully it'll start to pay off. Cycling FTW! Less impact on your joints.

      Delete