Friday, December 30, 2016

Looking back and forward

Hi,

First off, I hope you had a good Christmas. At Jones Towers things were very family orientated which is just how we like it! Both Wee Man and Little Miss thoroughly enjoyed themselves and the Ever Lovely Mrs J enjoyed her surprises. For me, and apologies if this is a bit cliche, it was all about seeing the joy on peoples' faces, good laughter and plenty of welcoming hugs as family arrived.

I appreciate that for some, Christmas can be more a time to count ones losses or avoid conflict. The festive season isn't always a time of cheer. If this was you, I hope 2017 is kinder to you, whatever your situation is.

Talking of the future, what will 2017 have in store for us? I'm curious as to how the big political changes will play out. Both the cynic and the romantic in me - odd how those two bedfellows get on - would like to see those who lied (or post-truth, if you want a modern term) get called to task. I can only hope that we'll see an end to the populist and a-little-too-frequently-dangerous BS that's been doing the rounds this year.

What of this year? Well, ignoring the big stories, for little ol' me, there's been some highlights.

  • My family are doing well and that's something to be thankful for. 
  • Likewise, Chams keeps on trucking and the new website and forum, where somewhat of a challenge, they are bedding in nicely. Folk are posting regularly and speaking personally, I'm finding the out-of-meeting chat really helpful and supportive. Top job everyone!
  • I think we're on the cusp of sorting the funding out, which will help us. 
  • I've managed a few trips out and about.
  • I've met up with old (trans) friends.
  • I've come out to a dear friend and this went well. 
  • I've gave a talk about what it is to be trans and - dare I say - entertained and educated.
  • After the Xmas party, Laura was kind enough to say this: "Boy, can Lynn dance - she certainly got her 'groove' on with the scissor sisters track!". That very much put the icing on the cake.♥
  • I've changed my hairstyle and had a lot of fun trying on new ones when TrendCo visited.
  • I've been to the biscuit tin one too many times, my weight could be worse! :-)
  • I blagged an interview with a trans author for T-Central.
  • I've been happy with big event outfits (here , here and here) and felt happy in my own skin. I don't think you can put a price on the latter.
  • I've not seen much of the Black Dog, just a few early starts with our own pets.
  • I've been lucky enough to have this blog featured a few times on T Central (1, 2, 3, 4 and 5).  
  • Val kindly wrote the first guest piece for this blog. Thank you!
  • I've been fortunate enough to have you lot read and offer thoughtful advice and/or witty comments on many an occasion.
All in all, numerous reasons to look back and think of the good times, and less of the occasional bad vibes. As to next year? I'm hoping it treats me, you and yours well. That's all I can hope for really. Anything else is a bonus.


Stay safe, happy new year and thanks for reading.
Lynn

18 comments:

  1. Great review Lynn! Hope you have a great 2017! Really hoping to see you in January - have an interesting meeting the day after in the area which I must tell you about at some point! Speak soon, Rhi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the highlights are just that. It's the rest of the 9 to 5 slog that I've glossed over. Yea gads, the slog in all its Sisyphean glory. :-) Still, it ain't back to work just yet. Woo hoo!

      I'm looking forward to seeing you again in the new year and hearing about that meeting. Hope you have a good new year!

      Delete
    2. Its a shame isn't it? Most of my best moments are in the 9 to 5 slog these days, albeit facing my own boulder-up-hill challenges in January. I've worked through the break, but hey, got lots done, so that's all good! Hoping to come to the Chams on 26th Jan if all works out... take care x

      Delete
    3. Well, maybe you being a would-be full time lady, means the 9 to 5 is where it's at. So to speak. :-)

      Delete
  2. Plenty of good highlights there Lynn, you've had a good 2016. Best Wishes from me for 2017.

    Kind Regards

    Lotte x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying - some would say very :-) - to be thankful for what I have. Not so much the material stuff, although that's nice. But, happy memories of good times and good friends.

      Thanks for the well wishes and I hope 2017 goes well for you too.

      Delete
  3. Best wishes and hoping you have a happy and fulfilling new year xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, Mrs! I hope things go well and if you turn your had to blogging again, be good to read his things are going.

      Delete
  4. Hi Lynn....Nice review.

    I had missed Val's guest post and wasn't aware of it until now, so you can add another featured TC post to the list.

    You should know that you don't have to be lucky to get a blog post featured on TC. You just need to be a good writer with wide appeal in our community. I would say you fit the mold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Calie! I'll let Val know (assuming she's not already reading this :-) ).

      Luck? Firstly, thank you for your kind words about my blogging. That's very thoughtful of you. To luck, I think there's an element of that when I write. What comes to mind during the week, or the pick of words and thoughts. But, with perseverance, I think you increase your chances.

      Thanks for you hard work in keeping T Central ship shape and good luck for 2017.

      L x

      Delete
  5. Thanks you for another year of entertaining and worthwhile reading, Lynn, and for the work you do in your unassuming but significant way for the trans community. Sending you best wishes for the new year and hoping 2017 is a great year for you and yours. Sue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue, for the kind words and good luck for the upcoming year.

      Delete
  6. Great list of 2016 highlights. I really enjoy reading your blog. Here's wishing you a 2017 with even "higher" highlights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tess. Thanks for the kind words and I see you've started a blog up too. Go you! Welcome to the madness that is blogging. :-)

      Delete
  7. "blog featured a few times on T Central" – I was just about to grumble enviously, but I suppose you do post more regularly than me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quantity doesn't always guarantee quality, but it does raise your chances. :-)

      Delete
  8. Great post again and I personally want to thank you for all the support you have given me in 2016 at Chams, and wish you have a great 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fyona, that's very kind. Hope to see you at the next meeting. As to support, that's exactly what the group is all about. Hope you had a good Xmas!

      Delete