Friday, July 01, 2016

Quiet reflection

There are times when the words tumble from me like so much water over a cliff. Out they pour, backed by the need to get The Thought clear of my mind and to the screen, to freedom. This may be a blog post, a joke or even a scene from some imagined story. A short burst of clarity where all is as it should be and there is only the fast clack of keys, or the rushing patterns swiped around the smartphone's screen.

Those moments of brilliance are fanned with urgency. A haste to ride the thoughts as far as they'll take me because in a moment, the everyday will crash in and the glorious flood of creativity will run slow to a trickle.

On some days, when I crest the rise to  bathe my thoughts in the giving waters, the land can be barren and dry. Littered with broken rocks of half formed thoughts, or the sticky mud of distraction. On those days, it is best, I find, to withdraw and wait. I feel I cannot bring the rain, only dance in it, when the heaven's darken and break. 

So, dear reader, I feel if there's a point to today's ramble, is that some days the magic is with me and, that others times - like the lacklustre post I've just replaced - the Muse is not. Perhaps writing, is not unlike shopping: there are good trips and bad ones, but it's the persistence that lets you find what you want, not just luck.

Lynn
X

4 comments:

  1. Ah, it's a pity you took down your original post, as there were actually a few things in it I intended to comment on. I seem to recall you mentioning it was the 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme, which I thought was interesting. I actually got ridiculously excited on the 22nd of last month because it was the 75th anniversary of the launch of Operation Barbarossa, Hitler's invasion of the USSR: a campaign I've long had a great fascination with (on the day in question, I actually mentioned its significance to a few people I know, prefacing my announcement each time with the words "I know you're probably not going to give a shit about this, but...").

    I can certainly relate to how frustrating it is when you feel your Muse has abandoned you. I often joke that writer's block is like constipation - you struggle and strain to get something out, and when you finally do, it's only shit anyway! :) I can also really relate to this bit:
    Those moments of brilliance are fanned with urgency. A haste to ride the thoughts as far as they'll take me because in a moment, the everyday will crash in and the glorious flood of creativity will run slow to a trickle.

    I remember once stopping a very productive writing session in the middle of a sentence, blithely assuming that I'd easily be able to pick up where I'd left off when I next sat down to work on the piece of writing in question. Unfortunately, it didn't end up working out that way - in fact, to this day, I still can't remember how I'd intended to end the sentence in question!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fighting a war on two fronts? Our survey said...? Eek erk :-) Quite possibly a good thing that Hitler did invade the USSR, given the effect it had on the war.

      Yes, the old post... Hmm... I wasn't very happy with it and as such, I felt it had to go. It wasn't really here nor there, if that makes any sense.

      Your joke about writer's block didn't half make me chuckle.

      Delete
  2. I am sure you will find your muse again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Muse turns up when she, or he, is good and ready.

      I've looked in all the usual spots: in the key cupboard, down the side of the sofa, etc ;-)

      Delete