Friday, July 29, 2016

Money, money, money

Hi,

With the summer hols in full swing, it's been a doddle to zip down the ring road and into work. No more school run for me for a few weeks and plenty of people away on holiday too. As such, I'm ahead on my hours and an early start, means an early finish in my book. All good reasons for a good mood. Oh, and it's Friday. Woo! And it was Chams last night, Woo hoo! :-)

Talking of good things, Sandi and I have been on the look out for a way to help boost the group's funding. Luckily we didn't go ahead with our currency speculation or pole dancing club. Much as the latter would have been great for personal fitness and I own some perilous heels, I doubt I'd be able to muster the upper body strength to lift my ever increasing backside :-)

Why do all the bad foods taste so good? Gah! So much for Intelligent Design. This is a ruse! What a crock! I feel short-changed :-) Still, if you can't keep to your diet plan, you just have to work with what you've got, eh?

Where was I? Oh, yes. Good news. Despite the room hire increasing steadily [angry look to Austerity implementers goes here] and the insurance costs now being passed on to the group, we've managed to juggle our opening hours and trim back a little on the outgoings. Thing is, we need about 15 - 16 folk visiting a meeting to break even per night.

Most of the time, that's okay as autumn/winter, we're over that number and summertime is when we feel the pinch. We're not in danger of folding - thankfully! - we just don't want to eat into savings, or have to bump up the membership fees.

I'd approached the local council for help and was told that as most of our members were from outside the borough, we weren't eligible. In fairness to the local parish council, they do offer us a good rate compared to new hirers. Oh, for folk outside the UK. Councils: parish, borough, county/city and national.

By serendipity someone from Nottingham Self Help got in touch, saying they were dealing with Lottery funding and were we still interested in help? Oh, hell yeah :-)

A change of skirt, after some wise words
Thanks for the snap, Val.
Cue a few emails to the right people and then a telephone conversation with two very helpful people. Now it's a case of sorting out some paperwork, submitting it and crossing our collective fingers.

As I said to one of the funders, anything we could get would help us along. We don't need much in the way of equipment, as the Centre very kindly provide all that. That said, I think it may be time to invest in improving our website and forum. The former has done is proud, and with the loss of the forum recently; that hit the group's sense of community and history. I think we'd had that virtual community for nearly 10 years.

On a personal note, I gave a summer skirt a final try. I did like the pattern - pink with bold print flowers - but it wasn't quite right and despite chancing it, a friend was kind enough to politely point out its shortcomings. This, again, is one of the good things about Chams. We don't critique or tut at people's outfit choices. We do, however, give honest answers and I find that helps keep going in the right direction.

So, a quick change to a favourite skater skirt and I was ready for my close up. Second time around for the wedges and I think I've had my money's worth on the free lace top Mrs J gifted me with.

Take care,
Lynn
x

No comments:

Post a Comment