Friday, March 25, 2016

Teamwork

Hi,

Not a holiday, but certainly a long weekend away from the red tape machines. A glorious five days off for the Jones Massive. Okay, four for the kids and an extra day for the Ever Lovely Mrs J and I. Sure, the pay ain't always great in the public sector, but the holidays make up for it.

Clothes

A shorter week meant Thursday was soon upon me. I still find it a challenge to work out what I'm going to wear. It's not that I've nothing to wear, as I've got a fair few items that have built up over the years. Originally, I used to buy things I like in the moment, as it were, but now, I try to shop a little less, and buy things that have a longer life.

It's partly down to money, as in not wanting to fritter it away; wardrobe space, and, perhaps a little oddly, to make the most of what I have. Back when I had the pennies to almost buy something new every week, I found I was jumping from one trend to the next. That, and I never really took the time to enjoy what I had. It's also, if I can get on my Right On soapbox for a mo, not exactly sustainable, even if said items did go to charity.

There's also an element of not buying cheap, for the sake of buying something. I think there's a difference between cheap clothes, and items bought inexpensively. Take for example charity shops, I've had some real keepers - no, not football - from some of them. My green coat, my red skirt and a denim mini (or at least, after I'd trimmed it with the scissors ;-) ).

Now, like other people do, I guess, I try to buy items that will last a little longer. Something that will not only survive a few washes, but that I can mix and match, with other items later on. I've heard the phrase 'investment piece', but that tends to be a three, or four figure price ticket. I can do four figures, but only if there's a decimal point midway through. ;-)

Chams

So, not quite sure what to wear, I did over pack. Yes, even for me. :-) Usually I take one dress and a second outfit, in case of a last minute change of heart, or if Things Don't Work (TM). You know, you pack a nice top and in the time between deciding on that, you have a visit from the Red Death on your chest. Thanks, body ;-)

But, there was no last minute mess up! That meant I'd brought three pairs of shoes, some jeans, two tops, two skirts and a dress (see photo). That was probably a little excessive.... even for Yours Truly, here. Still, lessons learned and I'll have to try and not 'panic pack' next time.

As I'd managed a slightly earlier set off, I decided to risk some false eyelashes, which I just about got the hang of. The Fashion Fates were smiling, as I managed to double twist my long necklace, which shortened it nicely.

Some nights, the changing room is very busy and it's chat-chat-chat, while we get ready. This time, the place was fairly full, but everyone seemed to be concentrating on getting changed. So it goes! Alison did pop up to say hi, and it was great to see her more sprightly.

Once my nail varnish was drying, I was off downstairs to mingle and catch up with friends.

A Question of Leadership

I was talking to one of our number, who shall remain nameless, who said they'd been asked about Chams leadership. I asked a little more and it seemed that - and my apologies for making this sound like gossip, it's not supposed to - another would-be attendee was put off, because we don't seem to have "direct leadership". What that means, I'm still not sure. Neither of us could really expand on that, as there wasn't much more to go on and conversation drifted.

Well, my interest was piqued, but in a nice way. So, do we, at Chameleons, have leaders? For me, and others at the group may feel differently, I'd say no. We do have organisers, such as Sandi and Tracey, who kindly deal with the finances and bookings. There's Val and Pat, who act as a friendly meet and greet tag team (but without the half nelson :-) ). Others come and go, in terms of helping with catering, or making the place look fab, on a party night [waves to Helen & Rebecca]. I do a few announcements, meet vendors, answer email and look after the forum. That's about as far as it goes.

Between us all, we book events - vendors, visits and parties - but, and I'd like to hope this is the case: we are fairly hands off. We're there if someone has an issue, which is very rare and we're their for support, if anyone needs that. Thing with the latter, is the group is great at welcoming new visitors, and I think that speaks very highly of our members.

So, no, we don't have much in the way of management, but we do have a lot in terms of support. I guess, we've just not needed a heavy structure, we're quite flexible around who can book what, or request an evening. I know Pat's been working on getting some people to attend, which is great.

Hopefully, I've not just caused massive offence with the above!

Products

After last week's fail with some tights I bought on a whim from New Look, I thought I'd try a new shop. I happened to be in town and I had some M&S vouchers, so it seemed rude not to give their products a spin. I came away with two sets of tights. Both ladder resistant in cocoa, but one matte, one gloss. Compared to some other store's own brand I'd tried before, these felt great on and fitted well.

Okay, so while I'm unlikely to have pins as per the model, I was very happy with them. They certainly made a change from opaques, which much as I love, I do like a little variety.

Mind you, I saw a shared post on Facebook from Charnos, advertising fishnets. Are they back in again? It only seems a few years ago, that they were the done thing. Then again, maybe I'm getting old.

Take care,
Lynn

2 comments:

  1. Well, first of all, I love that dress! You look fab in it too!

    What few times I do dress, it's always opaques unless I'm wearing jeans. I don't shave my legs. Wish I could go with other colors.

    Looking forward to that guest post, girl!

    Calie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a gift from my lovely wife, The Ever Lovely Mrs J. When I see it in the wardrobe, it makes me smile.

      I'm hoping the long weekend will give me some writing time, do you'll get your guest posts.

      As to legs, I'm in the same boat as you. It's my agreement with Mrs J, and it keeps the peace. I don't always like it, but life it often about compromise.

      I get around the problem with two pairs of natural opaques and then the sheers on top. Fine in the winter, :-) In summer I'll switch to jeans, or loose cotton trousers. Necessity, the mother of invention :-)

      Delete