Friday, September 25, 2015

Tick tock, tick tock

Hi,

Last week, another year on the clock. Oh, don't mention clocks: this could be a terror threat. :-)

I did wonder, skipping back those *cough* 40 odd *cough* years ago. What was it like for my parents? Okay obvious joke, probably agony for one of them ;-) Did my Dad rush in from work, or had he been there since the start of labour? I may have to ask.

Skip on a few years, and a remember visiting my Mum, after my little sister was born. I also remember Dad taking us to the local toy shop (there were two in our little town). For some reason, he bought my sister and I toys. How this helps to adjust to a new baby in the house, I'm not sure, but I appreciate the gesture ;-) I got the Lotus from James Bond in The Spy Who Loved Me. When I see the film, I think of that toy and then about my family. Memories, they're funny entangled strings aren't they?

Skipping forward many years, I was lucky enough to be there for both of my kids being born. It was crazy how the time shot by. I guess a mix of panic, repetition and being in the same small room for over 16 hours (we both had a kip) may have played a part. :-) That's not to belittle the experience in the slightest. It is, to coin a well loved phrase, but the beginning.

I look now at our two wonderful children and think that they're the gifts. Not fancy gadgets - although the YBF Primer and a Desigual dress from Mrs J, are awesome :-) - but the things we do as a family. I once read, don't connect things, collect memories. I'm slowly getting that message.

Take last night for example. I was going to go out, but Wee Man needed some help putting together an electronic drum kit together. Bless him, he'd been saving since Christmas and his birthday. Given his excitement, and soft touch that I am, I stayed longer, to put it all together. So, while I did get to go out, it wasn't in fancy attire. Still, there will be other times and he did have a big smile on his face.

Take care,
Lynn

2 comments:

  1. "Last week, another year on the clock"
    Guess that means its must have been your birthday

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY

    ReplyDelete