Friday, April 24, 2015

If music be the food of love... get me a bucket.

Hi,

Poptastic

On the way to work I was listening to Radio 4's The Reunion. For those of you outside the UK, Radio 4 is part of the BBC and it's talk radio. Not so much speak your brainz phone ins, but interviews, book of the week and other such stuff. Oh, and comedies - either plays or panel shows (yay! News Quiz). None of this modern popular beat combo nonsense, that's for sure. ;-)

Anyhoo, today was a programme called The Reunion, which - perhaps somewhat obviously - brings people together after a long period of time, to discuss and comment on a historic, or social, event of yesteryear. Today, was the Hit Factory. A team of three gents - Stock, Aiken & Waterman - who shook up the pop industry during the 80s. Much as I didn't like the majority of what they produced, they could certainly crank out the hits (or an anagram, thereof) and were very successful.

Now, I'm guilty as a (t) girl can be, when it comes to enjoying Bananarama's 80s disco camp, who were signed the same label. Maybe it made a different that Bananarama wrote most of their own material, whereas they recordees, didn't. SAW had a formula for songs and - seemingly - a 'beat' or rhythm track (so I'm told), that was pretty much constant. To the point that if you ever heard a mix of their artists, it was pretty hard to tell the songs apart. Their dominance of the charts, made it seem that there was no escape. Wall to wall and packaged pop seemed the order of the day.

I suppose I was at an age where you start listening to other stuff. Friends lend you a tape, or a CD and you try different sounds, working out which worked for you and then, which 'tribe' you'd sit in. Pop, dance, indie, rap, metal...or, in some rare cases, classical. Rarer back then, were the folk who didn't let themselves be pigeon-holed and just listened to the stuff they liked and didn't 'wear' their music. I know I got a strange look when asking for an album by The Shamen, while wearing a Metallica t-shirt. Go figure! :-) So, judging by that statement, wearing a metal uniform - funny how *ahem* anti-establishment yoof culture is still about conforming? - and putting a dance band shirt with it, would seem to mess with peoples' heads. Mind you, we are talking a small town in the Midlands. I still think the good people of back then thought goths where transgender. :-P

So, after a (thankfully) brief 'megamix' of the SAW pop tunes, I felt the need to cleanse my ears, by listening to some Nine Inch Nails. A slightly different popular beat combo from the 80s. :-) Hello, DadRock :-)

Chams

Thanks to Val for the snap
Chameleons was very busy this time around. The Ever Lovely Mrs J gave me an early pass, in return for getting the kids herded towards the shower and coaxed into their PJs. With that all sorted and a kiss for each of them, I was off into the evening. We had at least two new people turn up and with last time's folk now paying, the rent was covered. Busy nights like this are great, because there's plenty of people to talk to and it helps build the funds up, for the quieter summer months.

I wore my new skinny jeans the high waist meant they were much more comfortable. Perhaps them being a larger size, also helps. Not that that stopped me putting my finger through my tights while getting ready. Gah, klutz! :-)

Make-up wise, I tried a new Rimmel eye shadow set and I was very pleased with that. Not too intensive, so I could go with the shade du-jour, matt red (whoever he is). I got the suggestion from the London Beauty Queen blog and if you're interested in make-up, it's well worth a ready IMHO.

We also had a visit from a student, who was doing some research into trans people's views on the word 'transvestite'. I guess it seems like an old school word, but it's still a label a lot of us may still use. Personally, I prefer trans, or transgender, because it's inclusive and there's less risk of offending someone. Say, someone who is full time.

Given the funding situation, we had a quick show of hands about funding a stall at this year's Pride event. That was a yes, so it's now a case of sorting out some business cards (we've got loads) and printing off some flyers. Then, it'll be over to Tania and some volunteers to staff the stall on the big day. Fingers crossed it all goes well eh?

Keren
Hold on. Matt red lippy and a slight rock look? Where have I seen that before? Hmm.... :-) And they say TV doesn't influence a child :-P

I guess there are only so many combinations, before we start to repeat. Still, I wasn't quiet old enough to wear it the first time around, so I'm not breaking that fashion rule. At least, not yet. ;-)

Take care,
Lynn

6 comments:

  1. Oh my.
    You look absolutely stunning.
    It's been a very long time and I wanted to say hi.
    Hi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi indeed! :-) It has been a very long time. Is it nearly five years? Welcome back and thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  2. Stock, Aiken and Waterman, eh? Now there's a blast from the past! I remember them from my own '80s adolescence; I think they were most (in)famous here for launching "our" Kylie's career, as well as inflicting Jason Donovan on the world (at least as a pop singer; he was already a household name here from his role on Neighbours)! (Are Australian soaps like Neighbours and Home and Away still big in the UK, as I gather they once were, BTW?)

    Yeah, it's interesting how we tend to have our own little "tribes" when it comes to music. Metal's been mine for a long time now, though I have made the effort to at least dabble in many others here and there. One thing that helped expand my tastes a bit was a show called Rage, which screens every Friday and Saturday night on the ABC, our national television network, and which I really got into during the early '90s - that introduced me to a lot of interesting artists. Having a brother who was really into techno also helped too; it was hard not to pick up a taste for the stuff when he seemed to be playing it all day (better that than letting it drive me mad!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And in the past they shall stay! :-) Are Auzzie soaps popular? Not sure. It's been a long time since I've seen any day time TV and soaps - from what I see in the TV guide* - seem to be on incredibly regularly. This may explain, why I don't watch TV. :-)

      [ "Got a TV guide, don't need a TV". Name the 80s film :-) ]

      Funny how (heavy) techno and metal would sometimes cross paths. Hello Industrial and much later, The Prodigy :-)

      Delete
  3. Having most, if not all your songs sounding the same didn't harm SAW as it didn't harm 5 or 6 other bands I can name. I probably was in the right age when they were at their peak, listening to Bananarama and early Kylie, a lot of it has stood the test of time.

    As for Neighbors, are Guy Pearce and Russell Crowe still in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Guy recently lead the Ramsey Street Crew in a brutal attack. The Madge's Coffee House Massacre, as it's now referred, saw Crowe in his element. They refilmed some of the scenes and put them into the new Mad Max epic. :-)

      Delete