Friday, March 20, 2015

What's a simple rural type like you, doing in an urban setting such as this?

Hi,

I'm back after a week away on a course. One of those organisational training sessions. It's been fairly taxing, given the amount of revision and the sheer depth the course went into. Oh and did I mention two exams at the end? :-) Still, the deed is done and the die is cast. Just a case of waiting to see what comes back. Really, I'm just glad it's over, even if it did give me some new ideas and extra skills. I like training - just not that full on! :-) Perhaps I should be bothered by result, but worrying about it won't help and there's nothing tied to my job about the need to pass.

Talking of passing - you see what I did there? :-) - there was no room in my bloke backpack for fancier items and given the revision scheduled, little time for that either. I didn't just work and go to my hotel, I did catch up with an old school friend (he's done well and given he was picked on, he's really blossomed, which is great). I also met up with Sue, or at least we met up as our male alter egos :-) I was against the clock due to the exam revision, so it was a case of finding a suitable venue and making the most of it. Blogs and emails are one thing, but to meet up and talk, is quite another. Time rolled on and it was soon time to say our goodbyes. Maybe at the next visit, I'll be able to pack extra clothing.

When fashion becomes uniform
[ Pinterest ]
I don't come to London very often, so it's an interesting experience for a country bloke. See the sights, get some walking in and enjoy a meal out on the company cheque book. I did notice (mais oui) the office uniform of little boots, opaques and a cute skirt. More than once I wondered what would it be like to have a day out en femme and just blend in (as much as any of us do). Mind you, seeing a few ladies leave the hotel in their heels and evening finery, I'm not sure we trans folk always overdo it. :-)

I'm conscious that being out every other Thursday is a luxury many of our number don't have and I know I can (and do) console myself with that fact. Given the need to be (sort of working), there was little time for shopping - other than the ask important ones for the Ever Lovely Mrs J, Little Miss and Wee Man. How I've missed them all this week and if I'm honest with you, I had a bit of a moment at the start of the week because of that. As to shopping for Yours Truly, no time for that and really, most of the shops I saw were the same as there is back in Nottm.

Now, we're on to the weekend and back to the usual routine. Funny, sometimes that's a treadmill, sometimes it's a blessing. The work stays the same, maybe it's all how you look at it. Right now, it's very much a glass is full. I've typed this while taking the train back and I paused to look out of the window, while wondering how to sign off. I found myself looking out over beautiful green fields. It was like the sun coming out after a long week of clouds, you forget how nice it is. Hello, countryside. I've missed you.

Take care,
Lynn

13 comments:

  1. I am doing something wrong. I need to get myself a cute pair of boots. Glad that at least you got some time out and about in the big smoke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're a) not conforming, or b) ahead of the pack :-) Or, c) like me, so far behind, you look ahead :-D

      All in all, not a bad way to spend a week. I hope you're keeping well.

      Delete
  2. Your not missing very much by avoidning London, its a dump!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yes, some of it is and that's true for a lot of other places too. I mean, Hull? Why? ;-) But, we're moving into the Crap Towns book now.

      (PS Crap Towns is a good chuckle if you can lay your hands on a copy. Frequently, the reviews are written by upset locals, and they don't hold back :-) )

      Delete
  3. While I've not been to London myself, a brother who was living in the UK for a number of years (I may've mentioned him before - he was living in Dorking: home of the giant metal chicken and other marvels) paid many visits to the capital himself, and said it was full of things that totally blew his mind (one thing I recalled him mentioning was some swanky bar or similar establishment whose customers seemed to consist almost entirely of Jewish folk - he ended up feeling quite out-of-place there).

    While I can't pass judgement on London being a dump or otherwise, I've been to a few cities that have left me decidedly unmoved. One is Melbourne, which I've been to numerous times, but which just doesn't do anything for me for some reason (it probably doesn't help that so many other people here seem to think it's one of the most awesome cities in the country*), while another is San Francisco. While planning my last trip to the States, I had quite a few people tell me I really should go there, but when I did, I found I couldn't wait to leave. Just the constant wind, the steepness of some of the streets (really, you had to go up some of them virtually on all fours!), the crowds, the seediness of some parts of town (you really had to pay constant attention to your surroundings, as they could change very abruptly), and the sheer number of homeless, the latter an unwelcome reminder that the US really isn't a great place to live if you're poor. As I said, though, I know other people who've loved the place. Different strokes for different folks, I guess!

    *It also doesn't help that it tries to steal every successful event we have here. I still haven't forgiven it for stealing the Formula One Grand Prix we used to have here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say London's a dump. Yes, it's very busy, yes it's huge, yes, it's expensive and yes, some parts of it are dire (not all, mind). But, as I said in an earlier comment, most other big cities have sh*te parts to them too. Nottingham certainly has some scary parts, as does Birmingham, Leicester and Derby. I suppose with a bigger city, the nastier bits are a whole lot bigger, and therefore it seems worse.

      SF... hmm... I can't say I enjoyed it either. It didn't have the charm (buildings and people) of, say, San Diego, but it felt more of a city than LA did. That seemed more like a collection suburbs and small towns, with a massive freeway system.

      I don't mind London, per se. The full on multiculturalism makes me smile, as you don't get that concentration of tourists elsewhere. Well, except the key tourist attractsions, like Wordsworths' house, the Lakes, etc. :-)

      For me, I'm a little disappointed that people visit and think that London is England. It so isn't, but that's a marketing thing, rather than a people thing.

      Delete
  4. I'm always much happier to be heading away from London with a feeling of - there's far too many people down there so I'm heading in the right direction again.With work deciding they don't want to bother with training us anymore it's not been an issue lately.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Training budgets, how quickly they vanish eh? :-)

      I don't mind a short visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. It is, as you say, lots of people there and this was a sentiment echoed by those on the course, and the former schoolmate, who worked there.

      I think I get why so many people work there and why the London economy is different to that of the UK. Will big firms ever break out of the want/need to be within the M25, and ship out?

      Delete
  5. It was lovely to see you, albeit briefly. With a full evening, I'll show you a really good time. As a London girl, I'd say to anyone, London's a perfect city: whatever you like in the way of food and culture, entertainment and shopping, it's there. OK we don't have a palm-fringed beach with day long sunshine, but it's unbeatable for anything else. Crowded and busy, sure, but no chance to get bored! Sue (Pearly Queen)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, Mrs. I night out would be good. One day perhaps! Thanks for the company and the restaurant suggestions too. Getting away from the usual haunts is often fun.

      Delete
  6. Hi Lynn,
    And there was I thinking the photo was your bottom half! 8-)

    Seriously, I think we sometimes want to stand out a tiny bit, just for fun, but more often than not just blending in is the best way. It's very much about context.
    Shopping at Waitrose seems to demand a different dress code from (say) Primark. No, really, Waitrose in our town is often more like a fashion parade. I think the ladies do it deliberately!
    All the best,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny. No, you can tell that they're not my pins. Besides, ankle boots and tights? Wouldn't they 'cut you off' at the widest point? What would Trinny and Sooz say? :-D

      We're not quite fancy enough for a Waitrose, although one is due shortly. As to fashion at the store: why are The Help so well dressed? I hope they are not glamming up on our time! tsk :-)

      Delete
  7. Maybe I should clarify - it's the female customers who dress up! The men appear to have smartened up a bit too. I think some even shaved. 8-)
    Maybe it's the harsh lighting..... I needed sunglasses to go in there when the store first opened, though I am used to it now.

    ReplyDelete