Friday, September 05, 2014

To travel in hope....

Hi,

According to the Blogger Challenge I signed up for, this time's chat is supposed to be around New Beginnings.

A brief spot of family news before we move on the main course, as it were. :-) Wee Man has finished his first week at big school. He's doing okay, and I'm proud of him for being brave, doing his bit in getting up and - to use a well loved 90s phrase - getting his sh** together :-). There was a minor incident between from kids who thought they'd try it on, in winding Wee Man's best mate up. He stepped in, gave them some serious - and rather witty verbal - to send them packing. Good on you, lad!

So, New Beginnings? This last month, I've had a bit of a change at work. Sadly, not to more *ahem* interesting attire, but you can't have it all ;-) The change has been to working again in a project team. Here, I'm doing the organising, running meetings, scheduling tasks, leading people in making decisions and generally, getting stuff done. The latter, for me at least, has been a true breath of fresh air.

For many months - perhaps even the last two years - I've coasted along, trying to get out the dead end, that my job was turned into. I think, like much in life, you have to fight for what you want and for what you believe in. It can be tiring, but I'm not willing to back down and become a screen watcher. I didn't join the company I did to sit there and be just a cog in the machine. I want to make new things and make IT work for people. IT should, IMO, be something that helps you - yes, you - get stuff done, not get in the way.

The project work has been stressful, I've done longer hours than I would normally and getting the supplier to commit, has been like herding fog knitting cats. At least, I think that's the right phrase! ;-) But.... I have gone to work with a spring in my step and a smile on my face. I have - dare I say this? - enjoyed, nay, loved it. It is as if I've woken up. This interests me and that fire makes me want to bring the project team along with me, and push the message that we can do this if we put our backs into it.

Will this continue? Possibly not, but I hope it runs for a bit longer and while I know this is truly I long shot, maybe I can move to do this full time? It would certainly be a very welcome change and could give others a chance to fill my old role.

So, yeah. Right now, I'm very much feeling the message in the quote "...for to travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive..."

Take care,
Lynn

4 comments:

  1. I think that most people really don't get what IT is for. Users think it's a collection of yes men to just blindly give what is asked for, and some in IT (too many) seem to think that the users should bend around how IT wants to work and not the other way around.

    Personally I think it should be there to listen to users, work out what they are really asking for and need, and to make sure they can do their jobs with more ease, and better, after the change.

    Just a shame that we don't seem to be a majority. I have an issue at the moment in that I want some work done by a team - so I am the stakeholder. I asked for a simple web service that I can use for end to end testing, the team spent half an hour trying to think of the biggest most impressive web service they could think of, along with a lot of work to get it doing the simple stuff I need. Did they listen when I said just keep it simple? No, they want to make something space age and damn what is actually needed. It should be built whilst I am on vacation, we will see what I get when I get back :)

    As for the change in what you are doing, great news and hope you get more projects to get your teeth into!

    Stace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah, don't start me on yes men. >:-\ I think that's the reason we're in such a mess. Listening to what people need - rather than what they want - would be, IMO, a good place to start. If only we did that more often eh? But then, how would vendors part Pointy Haired Bosses from the company cash? :-)

      Fingers crossed I can snake my way into something. How come there are less 'yeses' when I need just one? ;-)

      Delete
  2. Good luck. I just wish that when I called IT, someone with a British accent answered. "For golly good sakes, my dear fellow, what might be knackered with your computing device?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Provided one does not intone said wordage in the manner of Dick Van Dyke - all will be well. He is, one understands, still located upon the Cockney Public Enemy Number One. ;-)

      http://sounds.bl.uk/sound-maps/accents-and-dialects

      So many different ways of speaking for a small island.

      Delete