Friday, August 01, 2014

Shopped

Hi,

Like the real thing, only better

The other day I was reading an article on BBC News with the title Graduation photographs offer 'digital slimming'. A bit of retouching for graduation snaps: teeth whitening, removing blemishes and, now, being digitally slimmed down.

I do wonder where all of this Photoshopping - to use a modern word - will end. We all know about 'shopped fashion shoots and the mascara *ahem* adverts. I'm waiting for a flying car to be advertised and then see the famous words: enhanced in post-production. :-P

That gripe aside, who are we kidding? Is it the people looking at the photos or ourselves? I mean, if I could tweak my photos (more on that in a mo), am I moving further from reality into fantasy, or am I just amending the balance here and there?

For the record, the only photo editing I do on my snaps - which I why I can use them to keep the kids away from the fire ;-) - is changing the colour balance (because flash and overhead lights aren't always a great mix), removing awkward signs (fire escape this way, etc) or getting shot of red eye.

On the other hand, I did have the good fortune to have my photo taken by a professional - any many years ago that was too. Debbie did a grand job with the lighting, getting me to (just about) smile and then giving the finished snaps, that magazine glow. I can't complain and I think she did it well enough, so that I didn't look unnatural.

Our Different Journey

Regular readers will know that I ran a blog called Our Different Journey a few months back. The idea, for those of you who don't know, was to ask the trans people I know a few set questions about their life. This was partly because I know that I do meet a fair few T people and through the years, we do lose touch and in some little way, this was a bit like a personal record of people I'd met and I thought they had a story to tell.

Perhaps not all It Gets Better, but I wouldn't be being honest, if there wasn't a little part of that. Most of the trans folk I know are regular, well adjusted folk, who just get on with their lives. Some are occasionals (waves hello), some a part timers and some are transitioning (or have finished in some cases).

Despite a good start, and a few later leads on volunteers, the site has been very quite for nearly a year. To that end, I've closed it off to the general public. Partly because someone was reposting the notes without asking and also because the site had gone all quiet. I may move some of the stories to this blog, under their own section, and time will tell on that.

Shoes

Despite my initial thought that I didn't need another pair of heels.... I did fold and buy them. I couldn't resist the cute mid heel and that they were down to a snip at twelve quid (that's more than half price off). Armed with a browser and an intent to buy, I picked them up Thursday and had a spring in my step as I took them home.

I'd ordered two pairs - one pair in an eight, the other a more sensible nine. I can never tell with shoes from Dorothy Perkins. Sometimes they come up big and if the shoe's not a good fit, it's a pain to walk in. Anyhoo, the eights have gone back and the nines were spot on. Easy to walk in and not too tight either.

The Ever Lovely Mrs J tittered with delight when I showed her them. Another black pair? she teased, and with a little front strap too.  Never let it be said that I don't have a favourite design and I'm looking forward to planning an outfit around them too.

It's the little things. :-)

Take care,
Lynn

19 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to see the Our Different Journey blog end, Lynn. I think we had it listed on T-Central. I liked it when I first saw it but there was a period when we were dealing with a Blogger issue and could not add blogs to TC, so it may not have ever been added. Great idea though. Can't you leave it up and just turn off comments?

    By the way, I'm looking for guest posts for a Thoughts and Reflections series on T-Central and would love to see you do one for us. Contact me by email if you want to discuss. calietg at yahoo

    And, as long as I have the podium, have you heard from the infamous Becky? Geez, I miss Becky's blog.

    Love the pumps, btw. when they're too small, I just put a bag of water in them and put all of it in the freezer. Stretches the leather just fine.

    Calie ss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calie does that really work? do you have to repeat it? sounds a bit drastic dont they fall a part or something?

      Delete
    2. Sorry I went all Anon there, the shock of putting my shoes in the freezer just got to me there.

      Delete
    3. Hi Abigale! Yes! I did it as a last resort, but painful pumps became comfortable pumps. I've done it since then too. Just try a little water in a plastic bag and put all in the freezer. Try the shoe on and see if it makes a difference. Do the freezing little by little, but only if it's a last resort. Works on guy's shoes too!

      Delete
    4. Hi Calie,

      Thanks for the suggestion about the comments and the shoes too. I have tried the latter, although, having not fully ensured the bag was watertight, I may have frozen two shoes together. Still, there was no water damage and the manufacturer was none the wiser ;-) They should make more accurate sizes!! :-D

      I disabled the comments on ODF from the get go. I didn't want anyone commenting on people's stories, as this was more to be a collection of journeys, rather than a place to discuss ideas etc.

      Not sure what the future is for Our Different Journey is just yet, But, what I don't want to do is just delete it all. Not when others have been kind enough to share their life stories.

      PS: I've emailed you about the Thoughts & Reflections thingy.

      Delete
  2. You can never have enough shoes......NEVER :)

    That reposting of notes is a bit cheeky. Well a lot cheeky. You try and help and someone helps themselves !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not shoes that's the problem, Becca; it's storage! :-)

      Delete
    2. And what a problem! I have ordered 4 pairs from newlook but you cant order the space for them as well!

      Delete
  3. I don't know how you could have resisted those shoes anyway, there'ye lovely!

    Like the "calm down" title of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea,

      I've got about four pairs of black heels now. I have others, but black suede ones are the most prevalent. I guess I'm on a hunt for the most comfortable heels (hell irony) there are. One day! :-)

      Delete
  4. Sorry to see Our Different Journey closed :( . But I note you've set it to private rather than shut it down. Does that mean we can have access if we ask? *waves*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what I'm doing with the site just yet, Jonathan. I may end up copying it across to here and blocking comments.

      Delete
  5. It's always good to have a spare pair of the shoes you really like, I find - or at least some very similar in look & build. Especially after almost falling in love with a set of silver strappy heels which adorned my plates in my halcyon days. Unfortunately the snow and slush of a very busy Newcastle winter weakened them to the point they broke irrepairably while I was hurrying down stairs to the front door where a taxi waited outside. I gave them a fitting burial the next day. It's what they would have wanted. If only I'd bought TWO pairs... gah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain at the loss of a fab pair of shoes, Justine.

      "We can rebuild them. We have the technology." :-)

      Delete
  6. Interesting post. Good to read I'm not the only one who questioned whether I needed another pair of heels before also folding and buying them. I agree with Becca, you can never have enough shoes. You only need to see me blog for proof lol.

    Going to make an effort and visit your blog more regularly Lynn, just read back and saw you got one of your ears pierced. It's a great feeling isn't it, even better when you get the second done too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Charlotte. Thanks for the kind words re: the blog.

    My second ear piercing is now well healed and having been on holiday, I've spent all week with both earrings in. Okay, a subtle one and a blokey one, but earrings none-the-less and that adds a little spring in my step.

    I shall have to pop over to your blog if you have a fine collection of shoes! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lynn,
    Hope you had pleasent hols, congrats on now you have matching ears. How about some pictures of earrings you what to wear next time out?
    Again shoes
    I ordered a pair from Dorothy Perkins in 9 UK and they are painfully tight! I'm slighly off to the wrong side of 9 UK / 43 EU and therefore an 8 UK is a no go. It's a shame I did'nt read your experience with DP beforehand, I might have delayed buying them 10 seconds longer! Being a 9 and a bit, I'm now going for "wide fit" from newlook (3 in the post) the selection is not that great at the end of the range - but they fit oh so much better..
    Abigale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely holiday, thanks. Must get around to blogging at some point :-)

      Earrings: there's a snap of me wearing a lovely green and silver pair, that the Ever Lovely Mrs J let me use. I think that's a few posts back. You can browse images via BlogLovin, if that helps.

      Shoes: Dotty P's are usually pretty good IMO. That or I'm just lucky in that their size nine fits me. Perhaps I'm a little over the eight and now into the nine? Not sure....

      New Looks' Wide Fit is excellent IMO, although I'm with you on the reduced range. Have you tried Evans or Long Tall Sally at all? Oh, there's also this article which may be useful:

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the infos and link! I took a short deco at the article and it looks good, but must go to work now, will surf this later (ed: or at work, otherwise she will get all gittery.. ), ? leave it!
      Also have a certain 'backlog' to catch up on.. ;-)
      Abigale

      Delete