Friday, April 11, 2014

The past echoes into the future

Hi,

Gak. I've stared at this empty, white form, while ideas and stories run through my head. Strange, in that starting off seems to be the most difficult first step. True, perhaps or blogging, and other things in life too.

So, I'm - we're? - back from a short week in the North West and a grand time was had by all. Much walking was done, there was a little bit of cake therapy, a few visits to the adventure playgrounds and all round family fun. The time, did however, go all too quickly, although luckily, we've a few days before returning to work. Things to be thankful for, eh?

While out on our travels, I did wonder if each city as a look and what I mean by that is, a look for the people who live there. I know - from friends - that Nottingham menfolk (of a certain age - hell, my age! :-) ) seem to sport the skinhead haircut. Women's hair tends to be more varied, although, perhaps because I'm so used to seeing people here in a particular fashion, I'm no longer able to see the trend. I mention this because some of the women I've spotted, they're more made-up that their Nottingham counterparts. I'm not saying this is a good or a bad thing, just as an observation. However, saucers of milk at the ready, there are those who wear the warpaint well, and those who are worn by it. The magic marker hi-def eyebrows, the orange foundation and obligatory hair-in-a-messy-bun. Perhaps the look, if it can be called that, works when it works, and is noticeable when it doesn't.... and I'd be the first to point to some of my own make-up mishaps and nod in agreement.

The wide, wide world of sports

I'll leave you to get the reference (or Google it), but the line rang in my head when I followed the social media link to a project called Private Birthday Party. The art project (here), has this to say:
...party scenes from drag balls throughout the 1950s and 60s. In many, men and women in drag are posed outside the famed Kansas City club The Colony, photographed red-carpet style on their way into the night's event.
It seems that someone was photographer du jour for the events and kept the slides of the event. By happenstance, these previously lost images, where found and we get to look back at how things were for some (Psst: there's an interview here).

On a side note, there's a Broadway play called Casa Valentina, which - I've not seen the play, so apologies if I'm off here - is likely to be inspired by the events at Casa Susanna (also FlickR). The latter wasn't drag, more a safe place for trans folk to be themselves.

Now, I'll be honest and say I had planned to write a little short story about the slides, but after bashing the keys for a little while, it didn't quite work. So, rather than bore you with a short story, I'll bore with with the idea of it instead ;-) So, here it is: will someone much further in the future, find digital pictures of us trans folk from now, and look back, asking 'what must it have been like for people to live with only two gender choices? How did we get from there to here?'

At least, that's what I'd like to think. I'd like to think we're on this road of continual progress. That things - from an acceptance and freedom point of view - are only going to get better. Well, that's my dream and I hope that's not a fiction.

Take care,
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment