Friday, March 21, 2014

Six to eight weeks

Hi,

All is quiet in the Jones Towers.... Little Miss has gone to spend the evening at Granny's, the Ever Lovely Mrs Jones is playing a treasure game on her laptop and - oh, there goes the peace - Wee Man is playing some type of Zombie apocalypse team shooter. :-) Me? Oh, I've sneaked upstairs to (p)rattle off another weekly post.

Some of you may have read about or maybe tagged in the No Make-Up Selfie meme that's going around Facebook. It's all in a good cause - well, two in my mind. Helping to raise much needed funds to fight cancer and, also, showing people what others look like sans make-up. There have been a few discontents muttering, but in the main, I think it's gone well. I noticed with some wry amusement that some men have taken it upon themselves to post an in-make-up selfie (see what they did there? :-) ). I've thought about it, but I think donating might be a safer bet. Mind you, I do have a snap Alison took of me in a lumberjack shirt, no wig and full make-up. Perhaps a tad too much? I think the idea is to raise funds, not scare the crap out of people. ;-)

Regular readers will know that the Ever Lovely Mrs J and I had a chat about earrings t'other week.... Today I managed to make it into town and achieve part one. I'm very happy. Part two will (hopefully) happen in six to eight weeks, depending on how the healing process goes.

It's funny, and this may seem like a little bit of an oversell.... but it's something I've dreamed of. Yes, I know that's a bit nuts, but there are times when I've made myself up and then reached for my trusty clip-on earrings. Much as I think there are some good clip ons (see Claire's Accessories), there have been times when I've looked at other designs, then realised they were beyond my reach and pushed such thoughts aside. After all, dwelling on what you don't have? That can take the shine off your day. Better to enjoy what you do.

The actual process was, surprisingly fairly painless. I'd have the top of my ear done with a piercing needle some twenty years back - somewhat painful, even after a numbing spray - and I was expecting the lobe piercing to feel the same. Perhaps naively, I expected a piercing studio to use a needle again, but this time around, it was a gun. Maybe that was due to the style of earring, or fleshy parts don't hurt as much as cartilage - I don't know. I'm far from an expert! A quick clunk and it was all over.

Looking back, just before I hit the post button, I looked back at the Ever Lovely Mrs J's reaction. She just smiled warmly - in that way that makes me smile - and said it suited me. Perhaps part of the joy isn't just that I have achieve a dream, but that she fully accepts me. Maybe that's the reason for my good mood more than anything.

Take care,
Lynn

13 comments:

  1. Getting my ears pierced was one of those things I had always wanted to do. Then five years ago, in Tanya mode, I walked into a Claires and had both ears done. Such a short event, such a small thing physically, yet such a major boost to confidence. Although, I came down with a heavy flu that night after getting them done and lost my confidence when in boy mode. Covered them up with home made 'plasters' :-)

    And it feels like I'm carrying a little bit of Tanya all the time, even when I don't have anything filling the holes. :-)

    As you may have seen on FB, I've posted a Make-up / No Make-up Selfie (I so dislike that Selfie word!). I have decided to share it among a few of his friends, charging them a small donation to a charity to see the pic then I'll match their donation. Fortunately, I don't have too many friends on FB who know about Tanya and they are not too rich either.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait. Having your ears done gives you Man Flu? Bloody hell! :-)

      Good luck with the selfie. If it raises some much needed pennies, that's a good thing right? BTW, did you read the article on BBC News about it?

      Delete
    2. Only both ears at same time. Then it's girl flu. As we kept being told, it's much worse!! :-)

      I'm considering getting another pair of holes. Lord knows what I'll go down with then.... :-)

      Hadn't seen the BBC news article before you mentioned it. There was also an article on Breakfast new this morning with a pro blogger who tried in vain to argue there were negatives to the meme. And I do like the word mem for this. Can't really call it a campaign as that sounds as if someone is organising it!

      Delete
    3. Another pair? Hmm. Well, perhaps they'd act as hot standby or fabulousity failover. :-)

      Yes, meme seems to fit as much as anything. I guess the negativity BS is part of the 'balance' the media seem intent on having. Not sure that helps really :-P

      Delete
    4. I guess the negativity BS is part of the 'balance' the media seem intent on having. Not sure that helps really :-P

      I remember down here in Australia, back in the early 2000s, there was this daily that seemed hellbent on providing such dubious "balance" whenever it ran an article on LGBT folk and their fight to gain equal rights in one area or another; the opposing viewpoint would invariably be a rant from this cantankerous old Christian fundamentalist who was a member of one of those awful organizations with the word "family" in its title. I remember at least one person writing in about it, and questioning the necessity of giving this nasty old bigot a platform for his bullshit; I don't know if they've stopped doing it in more recent years (I hope they have).

      Delete
  2. The ever lovely Mrs Jones indeed. Pleased for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done you, and we look forward to seeing some tastefully accoutred lobes before long. But not giant hoops, OK? Sue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I'd found some hula-hoop style Essex ones as well. :-) I guess I'll have to save them for the 80s night. :-D

      Delete
  4. Perhaps naively, I expected a piercing studio to use a needle again, but this time around, it was a gun.

    Heh, when I went to get my ears done, I was expecting them to use something akin to a hole punch - with that misconception in my head, it's a wonder I got them pierced at all!

    I remember hearing that one of my old schoolmates once pierced his own ear by simply poking a stud through it. For added gross-out value, he apparently did it in the middle of a crowded shopping centre (no doubt blood and gore sprayed everywhere when he did!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niiiice. :-) I hope your old schoolmate sterilised it first - although somehow I doubt it! :-)

      Yeah, the holepunch thing. I did wonder that when I saw the guy on the desk's rather large piercing hoop in the lobe of his ear.

      Delete
  5. Congrats girl. That's on my girl bucket list; you beat me too it. I've been busy, but finally had a chance to catch up with your transgressions, and transgressing you have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mrs. I rather like having it done and the earring in. It's a bit.... a bit like when you paint your toe nails. It's not something for other people, just something for yourself. If that makes any sense at all. :-)

      Delete