Saturday, March 15, 2014

Quiche From Mars

Hi,

This week's Blogger Challenge is to talk about food. Where to start with this one? :-)

People's relationship with food seems, to me at least, as varied as there are people. It's - not to be Master of the Obvious - something we cannot go without. Okay, if you're a sparkly faced sun dodger, maybe you drink, you fictional pedant, but it's still food, even if it's not eating :-)

I've been fat, I've been too thin and now, I'm probably on the heavy side for my height. The thing is, I love the varieties and wonderful combinations of flavours, scents and textures that there are in the culinary world. I'm not a portion size queen: I'd rather have quality than quantity. The Every Lovely Mrs J is of a similar mindset, we'd both happily sit and enjoy a small, but very tasty meal, than go to an all-you-can-eat gig.

I find other people's views on food very interesting. It seems strange that food can be politicised: vegan, organic, GM, intensive, etc. Then there's the pseudo-science diet BS that floats around and occasionally makes its way on to the TV as a valid lifestyle choice. The Ever Lovely Mrs J works in science and in the same way I see a Hollywood film showing computer technology and I roll my eyes, so it happens too with Mrs J and some of the crap that's peddled as nutritional expertise. Not that we judge in our house... until it's been peer reviewed ;-)

Then there's the gender of food. Now, I don't mean Sausages are from Mars, Quiche is from Venus. I remember being at school (single sex grammar - really I should be an MP :-P ) and hearing the choices available if you didn't want to play army. Sorry, did I say play army? I meant to say 'Student Cadet Force' where you march around the playground, roll about the mud, shoot and.... play at being in the army.

Where was I? Oh, choices. One of the lads in my class said, I hear the High School are having cooking lessons. Cue a few choice remarks some some of the boys and a somewhat surprised reaction from the form master. To his credit, the lad said, well, if we can't cook for ourselves, what happens when we leave home, or go to college? Are we supposed to live on chips? Good on him and yes, I did offer a few questions to those who though living on chips was a good idea :-P. Sadly, due to clashes with other lessons, the cooking never came to pass. But I mean, really, roll about in the mud and be shouted at, or be in the warm, make something delicious to eat and hang out with girls? Is this even a question!? :-) Perhaps there are some girls who looked longingly from across the street and wished they were allowed to wear army camo, shoot a rifle and roll about in the mud. Who knows.... :-)

So, no, I don't consider cooking to be a girl's hobby or woman's work. From a cynical point of view, a person needs the ability to be able to look after themselves. To not be able to cook, clean your own home or look after your own clothes? That's a pretty poor state of affairs IMO. What's wrong with being able to run a house or look after kids? But then, maybe I'm biased. ;-) That's not to say I like cleaning or Hoovering, but that's 'cos I'm lazy :-)

Obligatory Report and Photo from Thursday Night Out

All went well going to Chameleons this week. I wasn't too late leaving (the kids were all fine for an early bath, story and then Lovely Mummy J tucking them in), and I had my outfit choice down to one. Well, one-ish. I had a top I wanted to test and I also wanted to know if my office dress would still fit.

We were due a visit from a jewellery vendor, but they didn't show. I checked the group's email and found out that they had transport problems. So be it, these things are sent to try us, I guess. Oh, talking of jewellery, I popped into town after my interview to get my ear pierced. While the place was open, there was too long a queue, as I had booked just a half day off. So, no dice - or earring - but with luck, there will be time next week.

Oh, talking of interviews, the job wasn't really me. It's pretty much the same money that I'm on now and more slightly more third line support work than I'm doing now. The prospects look okay, but the hours (which the agency had failed to mention) and the nature of the business felt.... not quite me. Those doubts aside, it seemed okay and the interviewers were nice enough (even if one kept leaving to due 'a system issue'). The easy part is, I've not heard anything from them, so I guess the job's not mine. Fair enough, that makes the decision to move so much easier :-)

Thanks to Alison for taking my photo. It seems my love of food means that I haven't managed to slim into my office dress. Ah well, maybe more walking and less eating are in order.

Take care,
Lynn


6 comments:

  1. Ah, food. I could talk for hours about food, so I won't and say that the Chams seem very special. And I look forward to seeing your new proper earrings. Sue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you feel the need, do talk. It'll only be me here prattling away, otherwise. :-)

      The Chams lot are a wonderful group of people. A number of them have helped me - and others over the years - and gone from helpers to friends. A good bunch <3.

      Earrings? Oh, must get on with that. Bloody work keeps getting in the way ;-)

      Delete
  2. At one of the country schools I went to, everyone in Years 8 and 9 (due to the small class sizes, each classroom had several grades doing the same lessons) spent one term doing Home Economics, which consisted of sewing and cooking, the two subjects done on alternate weeks. I always liked the cooking part, though was never very good at the sewing, which even at the time seemed ironic to me as I was probably the closest thing to the "class sissy" (even more ironic, the best sewer in the class (hmm, that doesn't look right...) was probably the most macho guy in both years - I hope he didn't subsequently let his talents there go to waste). One interesting character in that class was a guy who seemed obsessed with the colour grey - for every sewing project we had, the fabric he used was that colour. For our very last cooking class we baked marble cakes and then iced them; guess what colour icing his had?

    While there wasn't a "student cadet force" at any of the schools I went to, the Army did run a Cadets course for interested teenagers here, which one of my brothers took part in (I wanted to do it too, but unfortunately failed to get in due to the fact I suffered asthma) - it actually ended up doing him a lot of good, and he really enjoyed it. A few decades earlier, one of my uncles had been involved in it as well, although around that time there'd been a bit of a scandal surrounding it: while on a camp, some Cadets had found some bits of UXO, and decided that using them to hammer in tent pegs would be a good idea. It didn't end well. :-(

    I'm quite fond of food myself, both preparing it and eating it, and have a great interest in trying new and unusual cuisines; over the last few years, for example, I've developed quite a taste for Ethiopian and Sudanese food, and I keep meaning to check out a Persian restaurant that's recently opened here.

    As for your comments about junk diets and the strange way that food can become politicized, I've noticed that myself with the rise of something called "the paleo diet", which seems to be based on the idea that we should all eat the way our prehistoric ancestors (supposedly) did. What's really weird about that one is that a lot of its adherents are right-wing types: people who often don't believe that Paleolithic humans even existed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the paleo diet. Serve with a hefty whiff of mammoth BS - not literally. I think that did the rounds a little while back, so I wonder if the publishers have moved on to new places to peddle those special diet secrets? ;-)

    Ooo. Persian food! Yum. Sadly our local Persian restaurant is long gone, but the memories of their fine food lives on. Pretty sure none of it was grey tho. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a slight disaster in my cookery class, despite that and the subsequent nervousness of my teacher I can make a fabulous spaghetti bolognese.
    As for jobs I've got through selection processes where half way I've thought 'I don't want this job after all' having found out more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your line about the job process made me chuckle. I can identify with that.

      "So, the hours are between 8am and 6pm...."

      Well, that wasn't in the blurb sent by the agency! :-)

      Delete