Friday, January 24, 2014

Check your six

Hi,

Funny how some nights out seen to be damn near perfect. For those times, I think it's good to sit back and bask in the afterglow. Did anything amazing happen? No, not especially, but everything went to plan.

It all started to go right when the Ever Lovely Mrs J and I came to a mutually agreeable time on me going out. All was cool, calm and collected. Hell, I'd even managed to read to both kids and have a decent shave without damaging myself before leaving. As Bill or Ted would say: most unprecedented. :-)

Arriving at the venue, I was greeted by a group of folk waving their arms about while some other folk, in army fatigues, yelled encouragement at them. Funny how people choose to spend their evenings! Well, so I thought as I sat upstairs putting my make-up on ;-) Still, so long as they're not hurting anyone, what's the harm?

"Move it, Jones! Get those tights on. Don't ladder them, numbskull. Keep the seams straight on the toes. Move it, Jones! Move it, move it!"

BTW, five geek points if you read the above line in Gunnery Sergeant Hartman's voice from Full Metal Jacket. :-) I was pretty much ready when the shouting stopped and the bloke running the drill made them sing happy birthday to his colleague. I guess even drill sergeants have a heart.

Slap

Given all the glitz of the party season, I've started to look less at my Urban Decay colours, and more at the everyday palettes. I do like Urban Decay eye make-up, I think the shades are great, the colour goes on / blends nicely and they really do add to a party look. I've yet to save up for the Naked Palette, but maybe one day!

Anyhoo, the colours are all good when you're going out to a party, if you're looking for something more day to day, sometimes it's nice to take it down a notch and I think a bit of variety can be good. This time it was my trusty Model's Prefer set and despite a brief pause of oh, that's different, I was very pleased with the final result. Plus one on the good-mood-o-meter.

I'd taken two dresses, but the fitted one just wasn't working. It wasn't until I got home that I realised I'd been putting it on wrong. Duuhhh! So I went with a favourite wrap dress and some shoe boots I don't often wear, but I thought they worked given the hemline, so hey ho.

Oh and I got to try the other nail varnish that Sophie treated me to for Xmas. A rather fabulous red, with a wonderful finish. I really must start to log the better products. Maybe someone will find it useful! :-)

Money, money, money

The evening went well and later on I had a chat with Sandi, Tanya and Tracey over the rent situation. I did some totting up and given the new rent, we need to do one of two things: move to a cheaper venue, or increase the subs. The latter seems more preferable because the Temple Centre has some great benefits:

  • We have the run of the place after 8pm, which helps first time visitors. 
  • The council staff are a great bunch and are used to seeing us around. 
  • The place is fairly easy to get to being on the outskirts of Nottingham (most members are out of town and travel in)
  • Parking is excellent (lots of space, secure, private, etc)
  • The changing facilities are good (private, free with our booking, are a good size and not a set of loos!)

That's not to say we couldn't, or wouldn't move, but if we did, the new venue would need to be pretty special. Tanya mentioned a place near Sherwood which sounded good, so that's something to consider if we can't get our collective act together.

After a bit of basic maths - not my strong suit, I'll be honest - and it became pretty clear that we (the group) needed to sort things out over the subs. Now, I'm normally pretty good at plodding along, but when I think something can be sorted out with a chat, I'm afraid I'm a bit of a take charge kinda gal. I guess that's come from my mum, bless her ;-) So, a show of hands and some debate, the group's agreed to change the subs.

We're going to make it six pounds per visitor and four pounds for partners. We did debate the idea of reduced rates for the unemployed/retired, however, if we do that, we also need to increase the rates for working people. It's tricky to keep everyone happy - if indeed that is possible - but I think we've reached a happy medium. We did debate making it seven quid per visitor and keeping partners free, but that didn't go down so well. Personally, I don't mind paying seven quid, but I can understand that other folk feel differently. Luckily two of our regular partners offered to pay a reduced rate and that covers the shortfall nicely.

We're going to be stricter with the entrance policy. You pay on the way in, so no ducking the fee. Now, I think 90% of people pay without problem, so it's one or two people forgetting, or dodging it. I don't mind the former, I know there are times when it's been the end of the night and I've realised I've not put my money in. Ooops! But the dodging part is not so good.

The bottom line is we have to raise the money to pay the rent. We don't get a discount because half a dozen folk are retired. It's a shame we don't, but those are the breaks :-) So, it's all good - to coin a phrase - and I think this will secure our future for a bit. I still think that six quid for a night out is pretty good. You'd pay at least three just to park in Nottingham!

Looks like we're all okay, which is a very nice way to head into the new year. Here's too a good weekend!

Update: Grayson Perry collected his CBE award from Prince Charles this week. A quick Google will show you the outfit he wore - Grayson, not Prince Charles ;-) I find Grayson's views on art and commentary fascinating stuff. I'm not sure I agree with all of his views on being trans, but they are his views how he feels. Mine are only about how it works for me. However, this line from his wife, Phillpa made me laugh:


Football eh? The Every Lovely Mrs J said the same thing. Be careful what you wish for ladies! :-D

Take care,
Lynn
x

7 comments:

  1. Football? Wash your mouth out Jones!
    No geek points for me, I must be the one person on the planet that has never seen Full Metal Jacket. Or Shaft, or The Deerhunter or .........
    Nice to hear that the future of Notts Chams is looking a bit more secure. It is always a poser when you are trying to strike a balance, but it sounds like you have a handle on things so well done to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Football - it seems to be something most blokes and some women like. I don't understand the attraction, but what would I know ;-) Not seen Shaft, but the other two, yes.

      I think we're getting there over the Chams funding situation. With a little luck and some willing helpers, hopefully we'll be around for a few years longer.

      Delete
  2. How dare you give up the glitz and glamor of party season! That's minus one in the fun department. I'm also docking you minus three for making me read something twice. And minus two for reading it in a male voice... tisk-tisk. I give you plus ten in the cute picture department. Since you aren't good in math that makes you PLUS THREE!!! Yay-you! I'll take my fee of two quid now, leaving you with nothing. :( WTF do I do with a quid anyway? Is that some Harry Potter reference or something. Crazy British. (reread that in a shaking head, disdainful and under your breath type of way)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I see your points and I raise you two fingers :-D

      As to giving up, one must recharge one's batteries between social functions, darhlink. Think of it as a disco nap. ;-)

      A quid? Yes, the true unit of currency, rather than the sterling. All things are measured in quid. Well, unless you want to start talking in gibberish about having a pony in your pocket and wishing you had a monkey instead. Confused? You will be! :-D

      Delete
    2. I'd settle for a spare score at the moment, or better still a gross. How many daughters to a note?
      I didn't even know I was fluent in gibberish. Every day is a school day.

      Delete
  3. I saw the coverage of Grayson Perry accepting his award too - and for the first time ever I actually felt envious. Not that I've ever had anything but respect for his choice of outfit.. they're usually at the opposite end of what I'd call 'my cup of tea'. Well done ambassador!

    As for colour palettes.. I generally tend to go for different sized trowels according to the occasion. For daytime appearances something the size of a regular kitchen spatula does the trick. For night time excursions, think more along the lines of a kiddies' spade. Then for Christmas nights out on the lash there's only one kind of spade will do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so, Justine. On the respect front and also the 'not my cup of tea' with the regular OTT outfits. But, we're all different and why shouldn't he wear what he likes?

      As for colour palettes..

      LOL. Hmm. Top Trans Tips: why waste your time perfecting a smokey eye? Just hold each eye near the car's exhaust while warming the engine. :-)

      Delete