Friday, December 06, 2013

"You may fire when ready."

Hey folks,

Yes, it's another of those in-betweenie posts. One not quite about a night out - which no doubt reads What-Lynn-Did-Next diary kinda thing - but the random, wanderings of my addled brain. Curious to see what I prattle on about, I thought I'd pop this blog's URL into one of those meme cloud gadgets. Well, it passes the time doesn't it? Oh, there's a shoe design. Step on! :-)

I suppose for maximum cliche, I should have selected some vibrant pink colours..... but really, shades of suede would have been more my choice. Oh, black shoes. How can I count the ways....? :-)

So there you have it. A list of the key words yours truly regularly punts out in this little blog of mine. Clearly trans pops up a few times. Not sure why bit or ago, feature so promptly. I guess they must be key words that I use. Hmm. Nice to see Good and People pop in there though.

Tech

On a completely different note, someone at work asked me for some advice about a tablet. No, not the Follow the White Rabbit, nor Ooo-Boobies! ones either. Wow, that would have been a different film wouldn't it. Unfortunately, no one can be told what being Trans is. You have to see it for yourself. That and experience foot pain from shoes too fabulous to mention.

Where was I? Oh yes. Tablets. Those flat plastic and glass squares that seem to be rocking the PC industry. I was asked the simple question, which one should I get? Well, my typical answer is to ask the questions

- what do you want to do with it?
- how much do you want to spend?
- what type of computers do you like now?

Some folk like Apple kit, some like Android stuff and some like Microsoft stuff. It's all a bit... personal really. They all do similar things and they're aimed at different types of people. Take for example the difference between your common-or-garden Android tablet vs the more managed interface of the Kindle.

What I will say is this, I don't like companies - particularly tech companies - who attempt to compete by rubbishing another parties products. Yeah, all's fair in love, war and the damned lies of the marketing department, but it isn't :-) Just.... tell the truth. Some people like different things, not because of the *ahem* facts, or that it's better/faster/cheaper/hackable/expensive/luxury brand; they just have a personal preference to how a particular system works.

I had the displeasure to share a meeting with a tech evangelist. For those of you not familiar with this particular type of luser - sorry- user; they are usually vaguely technical and they - as per the alleged religious stereotype they get their name from - sing the praises to the Cult of the Object.

I'm afraid. I cannot help myself, but ask politely awkward questions to push their buttons. "It does look nice, but does it run the Apple store?" A good one for Surface tablet fetishists. "It's nice, but I think the Android interface is easier to use." That riles Apple junkies. "It's not got the upgrade path of the MS stuff has it?" which bugs 'Droid folk. :-P I really don't mind what tablet you want to use. What I do mind, is when you want to convert everyone to your way of thinking.... or perhaps more cynically, buy more stuff.

Do I have a preference? Am I really unbiased? No, I'm as biased as the next guy. :-) I like tablets I can tweak, hack and generally mess around with. I don't like being told what I can and can't do with something I've bought. To me, a tablet isn't very different from a computer. Okay, no mouse or screen, but it's essentially a tool to do something. Should someone tell you want tools you can use? Maybe you like cooking a meal a certain way, or maybe you like to vary your route to work. Should I be able to tell you want you can or can't do because I'd like to control your experience? Maybe you don't care and you're happy to run with the device as it arrives, that's cool too.

I think it's personal choice and you should have the freedom to do as you want, with the gadgets you own..... with all the risks and learning curves associated with it.

You may fire when ready. ;-)

Take care,
Lynn
x

7 comments:

  1. I really want to give the Surface 2 Pro a try, but then at the cost I need to really think about what I would be using it for before doing so!

    I have an Asus Tranformer Infinity - the screen is beautiful (and when I got it, the best resolution there was on a tablet), the build quality very, very good.

    What lets it down is glitches in Android that never seem to get fixed! It's just not smooth and you always have to wait for the machine.

    What I love is the fact that I can RDP to my desktop from a tiny little machine and not have to carry my laptop when on call.

    Though I still do as it's just so much nicer to use...

    I've tried an iPad - and although I hate myself for saying it - if all you want to do is read web sites and mails without opening a computer than it's probably the best user experience. I would recommend it to anyone who wasn't techy and wasn't looking for a replacement to their computer.

    Out of all of them the one I like best is my Sony ultra portable laptop. Almost as small, almost as light and developer level machine to boot!

    But then I am not the target market...

    Stace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the Surface and it's not bad. It's a tablet, although the clicky keyboard is a nice touch. Not sure I'd buy one tho. There's something about MS's recent grandstanding over Windows 8, that's put me off.

      Your comment about the target market made me smile. I think that IT folk are more likely to tinker and faff with things. We're probably not the best folk to be giving reviews on subjects - I mean, aren't we likely to bump against the walled garden and then break out of it? :-)

      I wonder if there's a market to have a cheap tablet + keyboard that just lets you run RDP/X/VNC/XenApp? That would be spot on for work! :-)

      Delete
    2. Have you tried the Transformer 101? There are enough apps that you can download, many of them free. it has a keyboard and trackpad and with the keyboard attached 14 hours of battery life :)

      Our web master uses a version of this and swears by it (the older 301 - same internals, but made of metal to the 101s plastic).

      Stace

      Delete
  2. i went down the iPad route, it was the obvious choice as I've always owned MacBooks and other Apple stuff... Would rather it was cheaper though!

    A friend asked me what computer they should buy next, "Oh dear... I'm going to have to respond intelligently" i think.

    Knowing that this person has a well paid job and is completely thick with computers i didn't hesitate suggesting a MacBook Air or Pro.

    I told her that if she bought a Mac i could help her with any issues and that she would find it very difficult to break one as often as she did with her VistaMachine.

    She bought the MacBook Air and loves it.

    But on the flip side theirs always the people that go against your (well meaning) suggestions, And then i inevitably get questions such as "Why is my Plastic Microsoft machine not working? Has it got something to this CryptoLocker program?" ...Ummmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^^^ So embarrassed .... can't believe i spelt 'There' as 'Their'.... D'oh! ^^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always delete your old comment, Sam ;-) It's awful when that happens. You type away, reread, hit go and then... agh! typo! :-D

      I find Apple stuff overpriced too and although I've tried to get on with the interface... I think my brain isn't wired that way. Funny, no problems with Linux, Android or Windows, just the Mac interface. Go figure! :-) A few folk at work use iPad/iMacs etc and seem happy - I guess it comes down to what you like using.

      Despite having a very Microsoft background, I've ended up putting Linux on a few recycled laptops for people. I fully expected them to complain or *ahem* politely ask for Windows to go back on, but no. They just got on with using it and I've not had a peep out of them. The lappys are just for web browsing and email, so maybe people are wise to the alternatives out there?

      Interesting times. :-)

      Delete
  4. As I've mentioned before, I've taken to the Apple products, not because of the hardware or design, but because generally 'they just work'. There again, I don't go messing about with them. Microsoft Windows (beyond 3.1! :-) ) never really worked for me and it was only when I started with UNIX that I found my OS home.

    Now if I need to test stuff, I create a VM (Linux, Windows, Solaris, whatever) and test on that before pushing it to one of my devices.

    My bugbear recently has been the inconsistencies of the UI with Android and MS. With OSX for example, preferences are always cmd-, . With MS and Android, that could be under any file menu, called 'Options', 'Settings' or 'Preferences' or could be under some daft icon. I think the good practice framework Apple set to app developers helps a lot with avoiding problems for users.

    Yes, Apple products are expensive. Yet they still sell load at those prices and if they didn't work, then they wouldn't sell nor be able to command those prices. As a business friend used to say "I sell as high a price as my market can happily afford" :-)

    ReplyDelete