Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Wrong Side of History

Hi,

Well, how was your Christmas? I hope you had a pleasant one and that all went well. This year, we had somehow managed to duck much of the travelling and instead, the extended Jones Clan came to our little house. I could have said ...on the prairie, but moor would be closer. :-) We are far enough out of civilisation to be in werewolf country, but at least it keeps the door-to-door sales people on their toes.

So we swapped travel for the frenzied activity of cooking and preparing enough food. Honestly, I need to think about cutting down. Not only did I get a new postcode for Xmas, but I no longer feel safe swimming in case there are any Nordic 'pet food' manufacturers boating nearby. Sorry, I said pet food, I did of course meant to say scientific research stations. :-\ Moving on! All of the family visits went well, with plenty of good cheer, laughter and nom-ing our way through the tasty treats the Ever Lovely Mrs J had put together.

The kids thoroughly enjoyed opening their gifts and the Ever Lovely Mrs J enjoyed hers. I think most of the gifts were just about spot on for everyone - certainly no unhappy faces. As to Muggins here, I did very well, with some choice DVDs, a graphic novel (Batman), some wash products (and make-up remover LOL), choccies and some nice (bloke) clothes too. A very good haul, all in all. :-)

Daily Heil

The only minor dark spot in all of this Christmas cheer was the unwelcome shadow of bigotry.... from my own sister. We were have a chuckle about something-or-nothing at my Mum's over a cup of tea - so middle class and British, I know :-) - and then for some reason J. said "Bummers aren't natural. They shouldn't be able to have kids."

Whatcho talking about, Willis? :-\

What? Are we going for double points on moron-speak today? Well, technology and modern living isn't natural either, so what's your point? You know what you've just said is completely unacceptable, Sis.

Cue a rant in A Flat about how I lived in a pink fluffy cloud (It's cute and warm, what's not to like?) and that the rest of the thought like her. Yeah, well, even if they do, which I doubt - it ain't right to say such a thing and it's not true either. 'Natural'? FFS. 

Honestly, I wondered if this was a some somewhat twisted version of a hidden camera show for a moment. Where did this vitriolic hate come from? :-\ I asked her if it was acceptable for people to 'hate' on her - as they (allegedly) did in the 50s/60s - over being a single parent, being unmarried and having multiple kids by an unmarried man. Was that right? Would it be okay to judge/disrespect her like that? Of course not... Not that she got the point. Maybe I didn't help by saying she was on the wrong side of history and a bigot - whoops! :-) - but Mrs J stepped in to draw the conversation back away from finger pointing and keep it civil. Even J's boyfriend - a closet liberal? - stepped in to argue the case for acceptance.

Funny, or not funny - depending on your point of view, I now get why J's daughter is the way she is. Stephen Fry once made a joke about the dangers of passive bigotry and that wry comment has never seemed (sadly) more appropriate. Wow, am I glad I didn't think about coming out to her last summer, after we chatted about eye make-up in Debenhams. A lucky escape? There's a thought.

Pah. Wigged freak terrorises Nottingham. Wait until they get a loada me.... :-)


On to more pleasant things...


New Year is not quite here, so this is the lull period - not that we do much for New Years. It's never been a big thing and now we've got kids, it's a good excuse to stay home, have a tasty hot choccy and generally kick back. Mrs J asked me about New Years Resolutions and... well, other than trying to be less grumpy, I'm not really into them. Actually, that's not true. Pandora suggested a memory jar - Lord only knows I've lost mine! :-) - which you write PostIts of the good times and store them up. I think I'm going to have a go at that. Even if it's virtual, I think it sounds like fun.

Talking of looking at the bright side of things, I've had nearly two weeks off. Sure, my job doesn't (currently) thrill me, but maybe it's time to look at the perks, rather than the negatives. I think I've managed - through help and love - to send the Black Dog away. That's surely something to be thankful for! :-) Wee Man and Little Miss and Mrs J continue to fill me with awe, joy and laughter. I've switched from mid redhead back to long black and just this month, I had a piccy taken that made me feel like I'd finally got my head around everything. What a great way to end the year!

Oh and I've got a Blogger Challenge to do next year too. Something to look forward to - or not, depending on how you look at this prattle ;-) Talking of blogging, somehow I've managed fifty two posts this year, so that's one a week. Not that that's anything to crow about, it's more a personal goal to keep going.

Happy New Year and I hope 2014 brings you luck to you and yours. Thanks for reading and I'll see you in the future. :-)

Lynn
x

9 comments:

  1. I find it hard when people come out with such rubbish - even harder when that person is close to you. I do think though that its lack of exposure and some ignorance that drives these thoughts?

    A happy new year to the lovely Lynn Jones as well. You really shine out so brightly from your writing - always a pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think it's not ignorance, but maybe it is. It's a small town, but not that small. It's always been a bit backwards mind :-P You'd think that with all that's going on in society, that the message would get through. Maybe it's still got some way to go to reach everyone. Maybe there are pockets of resistance, little pods of self-replicating bigotry, lovingly (!!) passed down through the ages.

      I know J. found a pair of my heels when I was living at home and - as siblings do - took the p*ss. If that tipped her off, I don't know, but she's never asked and I've not brought the subject up. I can't say this bout of *ahem* openness has encouraged me to do so. Then again, maybe it would be better. Make her think on a few assumptions.

      But all that nonsense aside, thanks for the kind words re: the writing and all the best to you and yours for 2014. x

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you had a nice Xmas. Mine wasn't too bad, although the weather down here was reliably awful, temperatures being in the mid-30s and all of that. We had a little family get-together at a brother's house; his wife (I still find it hard calling her that, as the two of them were living together for seven years before they got married!) did a Wizard of Oz theme for the party, which ended up being very impressive.

    On the subject of family members, and the way they can shock you with bigoted comments, I can unfortunately relate. A year or two ago now, I had a certain family member tell me that she's always had a problem with transsexuals and CDers; when I asked, "Even me?" (given she's had ample opportunity to see me in women's garb over the years), she said, "Yes, even you", which left me feeling understandably gutted. :-( So, no, unfortunately, this sort of crap can't always be put down simply to ignorance. (She apparently doesn't have a problem with gays, but only when they're "straight-acting". Blech.) Actually, the family member in question drives me freaking nuts sometimes with the mixed messages she'll give me. She'll go on with all this nonsense about the "good old days" when "men were men, and women preferred it that way" (blech again), yet ask me in all seriousness if I've ever thought about pursuing a career in something like nursing or fashion design. Yeah, real hairy-chested, high-testosterone occupations those are, I don't think! (Eye roll)

    Still, I suppose it could be worse, as I've seen some amazing reactionary garbage on the Internet. For example, I recently became aware of the existence of a mob calling themselves - I kid you not - "the Dark Enlightenment", who seem to think that everything that happened after the Enlightenment was all a terrible mistake! Really, how can you even begin to argue with people like that?

    Didn't do much NYE myself (and for those who did down here, the weather was again reliably awful, temperatures during the hottest part of the day being around the old century mark). For a few years, I'd go out on NYE, mainly to find out what I'd been missing all the years I hadn't, but eventually came to conclude that the answer was "Not much. Just a lot of agro for the most part!" I was speaking to someone recently who couldn't wait for 2013 to be over - somewhat ironically, it had been a most unlucky year for him - though I didn't find the year just past too bad myself. If nothing else, I spent two months or so of it going on an epic trip all around the US, so that was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gack! Summer in the mid 30s - that's waaay too hot. I hope the AirCon is working well!

      ...hairy-chested, high-testosterone occupations...

      Ooh, no thanks, I'll pass on that if it's all the same. :-) "Like gag me with a spoon" /80s :-D Why the 'even you' stance? Why even say that?

      Ahh, well. Hello to 2014 and I hope it's kind to you. X

      Delete
    2. I hope the AirCon is working well!

      It is. Makes me wonder how we ever survived before its invention!

      Ahh, well. Hello to 2014 and I hope it's kind to you. X

      And the same to you.

      Delete
  3. Even though bigotry is much less widespread than it was twenty, or even ten years ago, it is still around and I suspect not going away any time soon. It is always a shock to get that sort of response from somebody you are close to and thought you knew well.
    These days I am less worried about coming out to most people and what they may think, but the thing that stops me from doing so more than anything else, is the fact that once A N Other knows the secret, you no longer have control of it.
    Anyhoo, HNY to all at Jones Towers and here is hoping 2014 is happy, healthy and enjoyable for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I think you're right on the bigotry being with us. Hopefully, it will become less and less acceptable. Perhaps a) people are challenged on it, b) more people know someone like that and c) I'll get my new sniper rifle next week. Look out, it's the PC Assassin! :-D

      Thanks for the New Year wishes! I hope the new year is good to you and yours <3

      Delete
  4. First off my dear, great job blogging, congrats to you. I know how hard it can be to keep the words a flowin'. It's nice to get back to reading friendly blogs as well, because I had taken a break from that too. And I look forward to all the good and bad travails of one Mrs. Jones in 2014! Yay!

    Hugs,
    Alexis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexis. Welcome back, Mrs. <3

      Thanks for the kind words about the blogging. Hopefully you won't be too bored by it all :-)

      Delete