Friday, November 08, 2013

The Enemy Within

Hi,

It's a peculiar thing this blogging lark. I had meant to put some time aside this afternoon and get some thoughts down, before we went out for the evening. Of course, I didn't and now, my mind seems as blank as the text box in front of me. I'll plod on and see if the old noggin wakes up.

Policies

Last week I mentioned that a local University got in touch about their soon to be released trans policy. Ever the helpful mailbox fairy (Ed: nebby mare, more like), I gave them a ring and had an interesting chat about it. Well, at least I thought so and for once, I wasn't the one doing all the talking. Chams have been invited along, however, I can't see anyone attending. I know our usual GoTo folk are off sick and I'm of the Old School train of thought of never ask anyone something you wouldn't be prepared to do yourself. :-)

So, no, much as my imagination may soar at the idea of going along in Lynn mode, the practical aspects of me say that this isn't going to happen. I know some of the people who'll go going along, and as I've said before, there's more than me in this family, so outing oneself is not on the cards.

However.... Oh, [insert knowing look to camera here] I'm part of an Advisory Network, which is set up to help people with issues at work. The idea is people can contact you for advice on policies and choices, if they're having trouble at work. Stroppy co-workers, work pressures, feelings of discrimination, etc; that type of thing. We're not there to fight a person's battles, more advise them of what the options are and help them find a suitable route to fixing the problem themselves. Dare I say, it's all rather enjoyable and beats banging the keys together until the computer systems do what they're supposed to. :-)

Where was I? Oh yes, Advisory Network: yeah, I had an invitation drop into my inbox - along with the reset of the Advisory Massive. Looks like my cover is set and the item's in my diary. Woo! All I've got to do now is sort out some business cards and fix the Chameleons leaflet. No pressure then. :-P

Update: Oh, and learn how to read a calendar. /Sigh. It's not this month, but December and on a date that clashes with another work thing I can't get out of. I'm a bit miffed about that. :-(

Not this week, you numpty

Due to my inability to read a calendar, I was all revved up for a night out with the girls (!!).... only to be reminded that is still the start of the month and Chams is the second and fourth Thursday. Duh. Brain fail. On the upside, at least I found out before I trailed up to Nuthall. As a friend said, at least I've another week to decide what to wear. :-) Sophie kindly explained how the dates work using a programmer's reference, so now I understand. You have to stick to basics with us IT folk you know. We're not like the rest of your normal people. ;-)

I had the good fortune to be sent some Boots vouchers the other day, so I've started on a bit of Xmas shopping. I know the Ever Lovely Mrs J was after something fancy from there, so that's in the bag. There was also the need for some new toothbrushes (so rock & roll eh?) and some birthday items for members of the extended Jones Massive.

I also noted that No 7 had a new matte finish for nail varnishes, so that was one of the buy two get the third (cheapest) free. I'll road test that and get back to you on it. I'm rather looking forward to seeing the difference it makes on my older polishes. Little things eh?

Take care,
Lynn

6 comments:

  1. Don't you just hate it when you have ideas, and then when you come to write them they are gone!

    Good luck with the advisory board - it sounds like a good idea. Good luck!

    Stace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope all goes well. I think it'll be interesting to hear what people have to say.

      As to the ideas, you'd think I'd have worked out it's a good idea to write them down :-)

      Delete
    2. If you work it out, please do a post about it so that we can all learn! ;p

      Stace

      Delete
  2. I didn't quite understand the Advisory Massive bit :oops: – does that mean you're going to the University thing or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm hoping to go. It's all rather last minute. As per ;-)

      Delete