Friday, November 29, 2013

A little bit of serendipity

Hi,

It was all a bit of a rush to get ready the other day. Not because I had a lot on, but... well, if you're anything like me - and let's hope not for you sake! :-) - there are days when I just can't seem to get organised. Oddly, I had sorted everything out the night previous. Mainly because I have this feeling that if I added the what to wear factor into the getting out of the door equation, my tiny mind would collapse under the strain. Oh, first world problems eh? :-)

But, eventually, I got into gear. Maybe I should have had a shave earlier in the week, as no doubt the tramp beard I was sporting meant a much more careful defuzzing than usual. Lessons learned eh? :-) I managed to read a chapter of The Witches to Little Miss and all was good before I head out. I'm a bit worried it's a little old for her, but she seems to be enjoying it and no nightmares just yet.

I got to the Centre without too much trouble and after dropping off some nibbles for the Xmas party, I was off upstairs to get changed. Yes, the Xmas party is early - it being Novemeber and all - but there's a reason for this. Firstly, we wanted as many of the regulars to be able to make it as possible. Secondly, a trans Xmas do in December can often clash with work shindigs, or school plays, etc. So, early start for us!

Maddy turned up - yay! long time no see, etc. I was going to give her a hug, but not when I was stood in my smalls. There are somethings that are just not right. :-) Kath - a new visitor - popped in, so we had a brief chat. Midway through getting changed, Sophie came up to say hi and then Alison brought some new visitors along. Although thankfully, she did not invite them over the threshold while The Ugly Sisters were getting ready. :-) For the record, Sophie was already ready, so the Ugly Sister joke does not apply! (Ed: backpedal harder, Lynn! :-P )

I'd brought along a bodycon dress, but it didn't quite fit right. I think I may have pulled it a little lower than I should. So one for another test run and if that fails, off to charity it goes. I thought about my wrap dress, but wanting some variety from earlier, I settled on the old favourite: a dress from the 90s. Yes, I have stuff so old, it's practically vintage. Okay, vintage Asda, but shh! :-) Chuck in some fancy tights, a lace cardigan and some false eye lashes and I was good to go! BTW, the lashes were a bargain! I had a money off voucher and Boots have a buy-one-get-the-second-at-half-price deal going on. Well, it would be rude not to. Sadly, my lash applicator gadget has yet to turn up, but fingers crossed that'll arrive before Christmas.

Downstairs, the event was underway and luckily, I'd remembered to pack an old MP3 player for some background music. I wandered about and caught up with a few people here and there. I had a lovely chat with a brother & sister (no names - well, no, they did have names, I'm just not going to give them out :-) ) about him wanting to start transitioning. It was the usual case of being nervous and I totally get that. I was saying to D & A that coming to a new place is scary and doubly so when you're not sure how people will react to you. We had a bit of a chuckle about silly stories and D's sister said "I wish I had a bum like yours". I'm assuming she means big :-) You may wish to intone that's no moon, if you like. Part DNA, part padding and that was the ice broken.

After that, I managed to grab some nibbles and get a seat next to Carole (who I've found works not too far from me) and Isabelle, who was wearing her new wig from Glitz & Glam. We had a good laugh and a chat about coming out to partners, life, etc. I managed a chat with Rebecca too. All good fun!

As usual, time had run away from us, so there was just a chance for some snaps and then it was time to put all the fabulousness back into the box for another fortnight.

All in all, it was a very good night and dare I say, just about perfect. So good when that happens.

Take care
Lynn
x

4 comments:

  1. Serendipity's a wonderful thing. I remember an instance of it from my own life, a couple of years back now. I'd arranged to do an interview with a local musician for the mag I write for, but had stupidly arranged to meet him at what turned out to be way too early a time. I arrived at our planned meeting spot - a pub in the city - breathless and sweaty (having ridden like a maniac from work to get there), only to discover I'd missed him by about five minutes. :-( Understandably dismayed by that, but deciding not to waste the chance to have a few drinks, I took a seat at the bar, and ended up having a good, long chat with some guy whose work with the Department of Agriculture had had him travelling that day to a part of the state I was very familiar with myself (this was what gave me the opener for my conversation with him). While the pub in question is usually very crowded and noisy, it was nice and quiet that evening, with only a few people at the bar and a lone musician strumming away on a guitar at one end of the room, the last individual providing the musical entertainment for the evening. When I got home, I still wasn't ready for bed, so spent several enjoyable hours playing Fallout 3, the perfect end to a surprisingly pleasant evening. Unfortunately, I'd stupidly try to re-create the experience later on, but it never worked (not least because the pub wasn't nearly as quiet on each of the subsequent occasions I went back to it). In the end, I just had to accept that, somehow, the planets had been perfectly aligned that night, and that such a fortunate occurrence probably wouldn't happen again. :-(

    Christmas parties seem to have started already here too; at least, I got that impression after finding it surprisingly difficult to get a taxi home after going out this Friday evening just past. My workplace's parent organization had some big fancy do on that night (an annual event that seems to have unfortunately superseded the individual sites' staff Christmas dinners), though I didn't go to it, not least because it would have been half over by the time I got to it myself (ironically because I was rostered on that evening). Instead, I went to a combined CD launch for a couple of local metal outfits, which turned out to be a pretty good substitute. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, Fallout 3. A quality game, IMO. Funny how events can coincide to give you a perfect night.

      Delete
  2. Ah, when a plan comes together :) Looking fabulous and feminine, as ever. Sue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. Very kind of you to say so. I see you've managed to sneak in to the TransLiving article. :-)

      Delete