Saturday, August 03, 2013

All Quiet on the Western Front....

.... which doesn't really make sense, when you live in the East Midlands. Unless there's a face off between the Potters Massive and the Dales Collective. Not to make light of rural gang violence. Cow tipping, cider running, it's a hotbed of inactivity. :-)

Hmm. Perhaps I shouldn't have watched Hot Fuzz before starting this post..... which is late. Friday was a little busy. The Ever Lovely Mrs Jones had car trouble and bless her, didn't get back home until late. I would have thought the breakdown people might have been a bit more speedy, considering she was on her own. Not that Mrs J is a poor, feeble woman; far from it, yet if your road side assistance prioritise people, I'd have hoped for better service. Thankfully, nothing bad - other than car problems - occurred.

Gabrielle, of the MyCDLife blog, was kind enough to complete her turn under the Our Different Journey spotlight. I posted a quick note on Facebook about it and the comments ranged from that's so familiar, and that's just how I felt; to the polar opposite of I don't have those experiences. I've paraphrased, but you get the gist.

One of the ideas behind ODJ, is that although there is commonality in trans behaviour, feelings and history. We, perhaps like the rest of any slice of humanity, are different. My hope is that.... no, my hopes are multi-fold: firstly, that if at least one person reads one of the stories and finds help through it, it was worth it. Secondly, ODJ acts as a store for the history of how people got to where they are now. I guess, last - but not least - I think there needs to be some good news (trans news) stories out there. You read so much negativity, that I think it's easy to think we'll never be fully accepted, or things will always be bad.

Cynic that I am, I am also a secret romantic. I think things for trans people will keep getting better. Each time someone comes out, or walks down the street, or shops for a dress in bloke mode, slowly we become less unusual and more everyday. Hell, I can dream. :-)

Take care,
Lynn
x

12 comments:

  1. It is a brilliant dream and I think we are getting there, but I think that in reality, the bravery (or necessity for some) to go or come out and to shop is one of those investments that we make for the next generation who will be seen as normal or even better for the fact they are trans. We may never see it in our lifetime, but knowing what we pass on makes it worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder that in in the passage of time, when folk (historians?) look back and say "trans people used to say they needed to be brave to go out," what they'd make of that statement.

      With the occasional forays, I'm doing fine, I'm just waiting for the rest of the world to catch up. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I think that life for T people has got immeasurably better. The vast proportion of people don't care and whilst there are a small minority who continue to demonstrate ignorance they are outnumbered by the minority who are hugely supportive. Personally I think the ignorant ones have issues of their own, not least no manners.

    I am glad the ODJ archive continues to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there will always be insensitive idiots about, but as you say, things are getting better. Go Jo(e) Public!

      Talking of ODJ, would you like to add your story to it? No pressure! :-)

      PS: Loving the new avatar!

      Delete
    2. Ahhh the Avatar. Amazing what some hair can do .....

      As for ODJ, agreed there is no pressure.... I think I was number 5 or 6. I might have an update towards the end of this year as life moves on .....

      Delete
    3. Doh! Social gaff! :-)

      Yes, you're certainly on the list. I must start to keep track on who I've pestered!

      As to updates, I did think about doing a 12 months on type of thing. Not sure about the questions, but suggestions are welcome.

      Delete
  3. Revolution through shopping, eh ;)

    But yes, "Each time someone comes out, or walks down the street, or shops for a dress in bloke mode, slowly we become less unusual and more everyday." – absolutely.

    Even if I'm still quite timid on this front myself :oops:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I was thinking more going out in public, but shopping works too. Don't knock a favourite pass time. :-)

      Delete
  4. Ill admit, I cant see it. I cant see there ever being a time where we will become normalised in this way. I would love for it to happen, but I just cant see it. We may become 'everyday', but still be the focus of misunderstanding and ridicule.

    It wont stop me getting out there though, after Sparkle ive definitely caught the bug. I realise that being out in public is a little different than the relative safety net of Canal Street, but I dont want to hide indoors anymore and this year this needs to change.

    I loved the latest ODJ entry too, I look forward to the next one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if Jo(e) Public will ever 'get it'? Considering that - speaking personally - I've not really been able to really express what it is to be trans. Really, I can only talk with confidence about how it works for me, and generalise how it may be for other trans folk.

      Glad to hear Sparkle went well and thanks for the kind words about the ODJ entry. Gabbi's blog is linked from here, if you'd like more of her writing.

      Good luck with the getting out!

      Delete
  5. There is no journey that's ever exactly the same, but it was great solicefinding there were people similar to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that. Would you like a turn at answering the questions, Lucy?

      Delete