Friday, May 17, 2013

"Words like violence,
Break the silence,
Come crashing in,
Into my little world"

Hello again dear reader,

To blog, or not to blog? That is the question. Whether tis best to STFU, or to prattle on, ensnaring the zeroes and ones of Google's storage.....

Shall we go with blog then?

Larks, it doesn't seem long since I was last here, bashing away at the keys, hoping that some semblance of wit and order would descend. So, I have, as you may have gathered from the last post and MS Paint epic, been away. Not, 'been away' as in Her Majesty's Pleasure (Ed: for our American readers - in jail!), nor locking away in the funny farm either. Although, Lord knows that can't be far away. :-)

No, holiday it was and a family one at that. Two glorious weeks of lazing around, letting the kids play in the sand/pool/sea, eating far too much (oops) and savouring that moment of switching my mobile to off when I left the office.

People Watching

I could show you a few snaps of the holiday destination, but having sat through a few slideshows - as in, in the 70s, where folk actually had slides, I won't. :-) I guess I could have taken a few shows of the fashion faux pas that occurred while I was away. Not, by me, of course. No, I always dress well*..... STOP THAT LAUGHING AT THE BACK! :-) [ * caution: ironic statement ]

I think the highlights of the fashion parade were the neon elasticuff cropped harem pants (yes, really) and the stripey 70s jump suit. The latter sported by a young mum who had a lovely figure, only to be swamped by the living test card that made your eyes go funny as she walked by.

Then there was the lady of advancing years (only 50 I think), who had had her boobs done. Not in a dodgy way, but they were way to perky to be real. How does that work? When your gran has more gravity defying boobage that her teenage granddaughter  :-) [ No, I didn't stare, this was from a ping from the old trans radar of there is a disturbance in the Force.... ]

Still, what would I know? A tubby bloke in camo shorts and a series of surf t-shirts.... or as I like to call it, the New Dad Wardrobe. :-) Mind you, I did manage a tan this time around and just being able to enjoy the world - without requiring an extra thick coat & hat - has been very nice.

Reading

But, tongue in cheek bitchiness aside, it was a wonderful time and although the weather dipped towards the end of the holiday, that didn't detract. The journey there (and back) went well. Indeed, I rather relished the journey between landing and arriving at the little villa. To travel in hope and all that.

With the children amused (and a wary eye provided by the family), I was able to catch up on a bit of reading. Well, re-reading. Since hearing of Mr Banks' sad news about his health, I thought I'd have a go at re-reading some of his (very good) Culture novels. I managed three before running out of time and (legal) downloads. Putting a trans spin on this paragraph.... okay, a little background on the sci-fi series. Firstly, it is set in a society and technological setting that massively ahead of our own (although, that's not doing the setting justice. I strongly urge you to read them if you get chance. It's not about tech, it's about people and history).

Where was I? Oh yes, trans. Yes, many of the Culture people are able to a) live for a very long time and b) change their birth sex if they wish. (Update as per comment). Although an organism that can do that, I wonder if the idea of male/female is accurate anymore. Well, you can imagine that my mind snapped on to that little fact. The effect is mentioned a few times - mostly in passing - rather than dwelling on a person's change per se. Oh and it's not a cosmetic shift either, a person can change and produce/sire children too. Oh and change back (after a time). So, a society that lives for pleasurable pursuits, does not require money, is practically immortal and can shift should they feel like it (oh and no-one cares if you do). I'll have some of that in another life, please :-) Other than sci-fi, I read a few Steampunk novellas - after a work-mate suggested them - and enjoyed those.

Truth be told, I've tried my hand a short stories a few times, but I've not really got anywhere with them. Got anywhere, as in making some money out of them. I guess I've got to keep on trying. Mind you, it's not the money, it's more that I enjoy doing it. A bit like this blog I suppose. Sure, hearing from people is great, but I think I'd carry on typing for myself as much as anyone else. With the Steampunk stuff in my head, I've a few ideas on what I could do. It is a question of making myself sit down and actually writing things.....much in the same way I've had to make myself stop reading Facebook, looking a desktop wallpapers, etc.

Stuff

In other news, it's Chameleons this coming week, so something to look forward to. Oh, and I've got to go back to work. Still, it pays the bills.

Take care,
Lynn

[ Today's lyric: Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode ]

8 comments:

  1. many of the Culture people are able to a) live for a very long time and b) change gender if they wish.

    Point of pedantry: They actually change sex not gender ;)

    But what I like most is that Culture people who have never changed sex are considered weird - such as Gurgeh in "The Player of Games" (which is easily Banks' best book btw, so no argument there please :p).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doh! My bad. Gender is what's between your ears... :-) What is the works coming to, if even we can't get it right? :-) I may go and edit, cheers.

    Player of Games is probably the one I enjoyed the most - at least when I finished it. My gripe, as it were, is that Gurgey - and the kicked out drone - are complete d*cks. Well, at least until they develop as characters. The recording incident felt a little contrived, but how else to force a change? Mind you, he's (Banks) is a well respected author of many books and I'm not :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynn,
    Glad to hear you had a good holiday. Ours is but a few weeks away, sun sand and suffering....

    We'll be taking my daughter's school friend with us so yours truly will be on best behaviour. Been stocking up on huge cover-up mens shirts fron charity shops, to be worn over plain tees from Primark. Not really the height of cross-dressing fashion then.

    Re the people-watching - yes, it's fun isn't it. Our special angle allows you get a bit more out of analysing what people wear and why it does (or does not) work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully not too much in the suffering department. <<>> Oh and good luck with the Best Behaviour.

      I wonder if people watching - when it comes to fashion - is a bit like that old line about art. I don't know much, but I know what I like.

      Delete
  4. Good to have you back Mrs - glad it was such a great break! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rhi. I hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Nice to be back home. Not so good to be back at work. Still, pays the bills! :-)

      Delete
  5. Im glad you had a decent holiday, it sounds like you had a really nice time.

    Ive got to admit I do enjoy people watching from time to time myself, there can be some entertainment in the massive variety of characters to be found in day to day life, and fashion is always an easy target! Although to be fair im probably just as guilty in crimes against fashion too, as both my male and T side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I never have fashion fails, it's only other folk that do. :-)

      On a slightly related note, I read the other day - in a tip for writing - that it's a good mental/creative exercise to people watch and then create a back story for them.

      Delete