Friday, March 08, 2013

"Hello, good evening and welcome to nothing much."

Hi folks,

Welcome to another dose of the irreverent - and many would say, irrelevant. :-)

Fatal mistake that. Pausing to think. Well, not so much if you're about to cross the streams or cut the blue wire (Ed: no! the RED one!!), but personally, from a blogging point of view, it tends to make me.....

.... stall.

To many brain cycles (#nerd) wasted on thinking what I should put, rather than just getting on with it. Think is, there's not been much going on. I do wonder why you come here to catch up. But then, when I read some of the Name columns in the paper, I wonder why are folk paid to write this? :-P

Not Investing in People?

Work? Meh. People-wise, it's been a good week. We've had a chuckle and everyone's been really supportive around the comedy stuff (see later). Technology? Pah. Some of it needs to be taken to the naughty step and have its rights read. That, or take half of the system outside and let the half remaining, hear the gunshots. Maybe then it'll buck its ideas up. :-)

I don't know if it's a cost cutting exercise, or a f***-'em-we'll-get-some-contractors-in mentality, but training has been very thin on the ground. Thin as in pretty much non-existent. Sure, Google, forums + an inquisitive nature and helpful friends will take you so far. But I don't think it is a sensible route, when you're banking on the back-end systems being up almost 24/7 (Ugh. I don't like that term!). It seems as we start to ramp up on the reliance on fairly modern technology, so the lack of investment in the staff is beginning to come to light. Previously, when something went off-line - or to use a technical term tits up :-) - most of us had a good idea how to get things up and running quickly. Minutes or seconds, not the hours, or even days that we're into now.

Does it sound like I'm moaning? Perhaps, but there is a point to this and it's this: if you want a cutting edge IT system (or anything else, like engineering?), you need to keep the staff up to date too. I can only hope that the amount of evidence I've been feeding back to management will help. I know I've now got some courses lined up and with luck (!) - which isn't the way you should run an IT service - we'll get through this by migrating our way out of the problem.

Three Minutes

This Monday, I shall be performing a short stand up set. I've rehearsed and rehearsed and rehearsed. I think I am about as ready as I'll ever be. I have now memorised what I've got to do. Funny thing is, when I asked, I start to feel The Fear. That quivery shaky feeling you get. Even now, my mouth has gone a little dry just thinking about it.

That's not particularly unusual, what is, is that if I go out, I get the same type of jitters too. I wonder if post-gig, I'll get the same post-adrenalin ride? You know, that endorphin pat on the back your animal brain gives you and says: well done, we didn't get eaten.

Friends and work-mates have been curious as to why I've decided to do it. No, I didn't mention this blog, I said it was after doing some writing for a mate, that someone suggested it. Partly true..... ;-) The good news is that with the kindness of friends, family and people I've met along the way, I've raised over four hundred quid. Hell, I thought setting the target at one hundred was hopeful. People have, as ever, surprised me.... and in a good way too.

For those of you kind enough to have over a few quid, you may now bask in the feel good vibes. You'd think I'd be used to people laughing at me..... I'm trans, remember? ;-)

Take care,
Lynn

[ Today's lyric: The Only Living Boy In New Cross ]

10 comments:

  1. Break a leg, Lynn. I'd love to see your stand up. Just a long commute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yes, it would be a bit of a trek. If I manage to get a copy of the recording - assuming there is one - I'll let you know. Then you can witness the terror in my voice first hand ;-)

      Delete
  2. +1 to Calie!

    On the tech front... My previous boss did not believe in trainer led training. Anything we wanted was pretty much book based and in your own time.

    My new boss doesn't like going for the sake of going, but where there is a reason we go on them. We did this for our Scrum masters last year and as a result one of our teams is 50% more productive than last year - and less stressed!

    We are currently migrating our servers to a new domain - we hired consultants for the move as it was taking too long (TFS Server is evil to migrate!) without actual knowledge. But... They did one migration to figure out any foibles with the move, one with me sitting with them to pass the knowledge over, and we will do another with me at the machine and them at the end of either the phone, or sending issues via email. That way we don't lose the knowledge when the consultants walk out of the door!

    I really wish you the best on Monday, go get them, and enjoy the buzz of doing it!

    Stace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pah. Book based, my ar** - as Jim Royale never said. :-) I did try a spot of home learning / book practice, but it just didn't work. A work mate used to say "you can't learn to drive by watching someone's feet" and I'm with him on that. The training courses, while there's some waffle, yes, there's also lots of exercises you need to work through. Also, they often go wrong and having to fix them means you learn more. IMO. :-)

      Domain migration? Ooo, rather you than me, Mrs! Consultants? Some of ours come in, do the job (badly) and then leave without so much as a smidgen of documentation. :-\ Still, on the upside, when it goes bang and you spend a week fixing things, you do get to bask in that I told you so vibe. :-P

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Lol. Shh! ;-) Given the Scottish climate, opaques may have been more prudent.

      Delete
  4. Ah systems and all that doo-dah, deep breaths and wait for someone to suggest turning it off and back on again :-). Sure I have learn such things from a book, but a well run tutorial is better especially if the students are not familiar with the product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if far in the future, we'll have systems that don't require a sleep and a wake-up before working properly. :-P

      Delete
  5. I heard a rumour that there's a video of said performance.... Will this be a future youtube upload?

    X

    ReplyDelete