Saturday, February 09, 2013

"Eleven. Exactly. One louder."


Howdy folks,

The other day, Sam was kind enough to tag me with Liebster Award thingy for blogs. Thanks, Mrs!

Apparently, there are a few rules to this little game and they are as follows:

Create a new blog post similar to this one.
Start off by writing 11 random facts about yourself, and then answer 11 questions which were left for you by your nominator.  
Then you can nominate up to 11 blogs and leave 11 questions for them to answer in return.  
Don’t forget to link back to the blog of the owner who nominated you!
Create a new post like this one? Check.

Well, the link back to Sam's blog is easy enough (and really, if you're reading this stuff, you should be reading Sam's thoughts, trials and tribulations too).



Random Facts

Now for the eleven random facts. Sheesh, where to start! :-)
  1. I spend more time En Homme, than in Lynn mode. For 99% of the time, this doesn't bother me. I'm a part timer. I don't believe there's a Richard / Lynn divide: it's just me with different clothes on.
  2. I love writing, talking and singing. I've tried my hand at writing short stories, although they're mostly for my own amusement. As to the talking bit, I've started to look into doing stand-up, but no joy on either front just yet. Must try harder. At to singing, I like doing it, but I know I'm bloomin' awful. :-)
  3. I went to an all boys grammar school. You can imagine how much I liked that ;-) I left feeling somewhat inadequate and also glad to have survived. I'm not sure it did me any favours, but looking at the positive, it could have been a lot worse and if I hadn't have gone through all that, would I be the same person I am now? Oddly primary school was better and I've kept in touch with more folk from that period of my life.
  4. When asked out by the cutest girl the world, I wrote her a letter saying I wasn't boyfriend material. Trans issues, lack of confidence, etc. Apparently, the note was so nice, said girl didn't give up. Years later, I married this beauty and she became the Ever Lovely Mrs Jones.
  5. I don't like summer, but I like to be warm. I like Autumn and Winter, but I don't like to be cold or wet. I'm a contrary so and so. :-)
  6. My work reputation is that I'm a harsh, uncaring b*stard who doesn't suffer fools gladly. This amuses me and saddens me in equal amounts. The amusement is that I don't see myself as this, but I guess others do and that saddens me. I recently joined an HR programme to help staff with work problems (bullying, employment/life balance, etc). I've really enjoyed being able to do things to help, although it's hard not being able to act directly. It's far more rewarding than having to lay down the law of the IT security policy.
  7. I prefer to be a passenger than a driver. Shame, because I'm awful at reading maps and my sense of direction is terrible. Perhaps that's why I prefer to walk when I can.
  8. I like technology you can hack / tweak. You bought the gadget, you should be able to do with it as you wish. This puts me at odds with certain elements of the IT community.
  9. I avoid any drink with caffeine in it. Not in a vampire vs garlic stylee, I should add. ;-) I don't drink fizzy pop either, but I am partial to the occasional half of Guinness. It reminds me of my Granddad.
  10. I used to be depressed, but - and in the words of Monty Python - I got better. It was an eye opening experience in that, at least once I got over the worse, it made me appreciate how hard some people must have it. I think my two / three year stint was pretty mild compared to some people's (not that it's a competition).
  11. I am very materialistic. Not in a I-must-have-more-toys point of view, but I am attached to items. I will hang on to a badge, a scarf, a book; not because they are mine, but because they have a memory attached to them. Ironically, I have no problem helping the kids recycle their toys to make room for new ones.
Sam's Eleven Questions 

1. What are your Religious beliefs? Are you Spiritual or Atheist?

If you'd have asked me this twelve months ago, I would have said atheist: hands down, lead pipe, hard truth, there's no way on this rock, etc. Buuuut, if you'd have asked me that thirty six months earlier, I'd have said agnostic. So, are they the only two choices? :-)

I don't believe in a deity and I'm not a fan of organised religion per se. Now, I'll qualify the latter with this. My half sister is a vicar and she's lovely. I'm not saying that 'cos she's family, I'm saying this because she's inclusive and she's there for people: she helps, she visits, she cares. The same was true of the local vicar in my parent's village. Then, you look at those - and it is a small minority (including a distant aunt of mine) - who use religion to push... frankly, bigoted views. If I could think there was a God, I can't help but feel a little disappointed in how His message was being twisted.

So, if I had to pick a side, I'd say atheist.

2.  Favourite Cartoon growing up?

Battle of the Planets.... Just because it was quality 70s kick-ass sci-fi. Oh and that's before we get on to Zoltar being gender ambiguous. ;-)

A close second would be the Mysterious Cities of Gold because it had a long term story. Something that threw me as a kid and brought home that cartoons could be a little more than animated slapstick.

As my own kids are growing up, I'm rather enjoying the two recent reboots of Scooby Doo (What's New Scooby Doo and Mystery Inc). Both play heavily on riffing on the formula / in-jokes and I love irreverent nerd gags (HP Hatecraft, for example).

3.  What trait(s) do you deplore in other people?

Bigotry - perhaps obviously. Being over-zealous... be that in terms of politics, religion or technology. "Oh, Windows 8 is sooo perfect..... Mac's are best... Only open source code is right.... Android FTW." Get over it. You don't hear chippies singing the praises of blue coloured chisels versus red ones. :-P

4.  What was your favourite subject at school?

Computing. It was the only thing I was good at. It may come as no surprise that I disliked sports. I failed English GCSE the first time around. Well, school classed a D as a fail. Which came as a shock as I was told you couldn't fail a GCSE. How naive of me. :-)

5.  Astrology... Load of Horseshit or perfectly believable?

I'm a Virgo, so I like order, worldly pleasures (food and nice clothes), but I don't believe in Astrology. :-) As Sue said, the idea that by reading the planets, you could see what's coming; well, that has appeal. I don't believe there's any truth in it at all. On an unrelated subject, a wise man once said, "it's all b*ll*cks, Ted."

6.  What sort of traffic warden would you be?

Depending on the mood I was in, how you reacted to being given a ticket or how/where you'd parked; either a very bad one - in that I'd let you off - or a complete ***t.

That last word was 'twit' by the way. Don't be filthy :-)

7.  Every xmas people always seem to say "You're difficult to buy presents for" and your left thinking 'Eh? You could have bought me this or that'... What Xmas present would you buy yourself every year because nobody else ever buys it for you?

A dress by Desigual. If I was feeling less materialistic, I'd (some how) buy myself the ability to go easy... relax a little, not get wound up by stuff that in the long swing of things, doesn't matter.

8.  What is the funniest thing that has happened in your job?

I work in IT. What we consider funny will not amuse normal humans ;-)

Umm.... giving a guy a mouse with a cable cut off it and then a friend using remote control software to make it look like it was really wireless? Also, taking a screenshot of someone's desktop (with the icons on it) and then hiding the icons so they can't be clicked. Childish, yes, but also fun.

9.  What is the best internet enabled 'SmartTV' around at the moment?

Dunno. Use Google.... or Which. Or just buy any old TV and bung a HDMI Android unit / AppleTV box underneath. Anything that you can hack with XMBC would be top too.

10. Have you ever cheated death or serious accident?

Only at cards.... It was snap and he... oh. Not like that.

I had a card accident last year and I was lucky. We got hit side on - and against the engine block at that - so it could have been worse. I was knocked out and I broke my collar bone. The worst bit was coming to and being unable to move properly (concussion), while my two children were crying in fear. Dare I say, I didn't really give a sh** about me, it was all about them getting to safety. That was my only priority.

11. Hypothetical scenario: Each day you are woken up by a man peeing on you. How long would you let this go on?

I'm a deep sleeper, but I like to be clean. All I can say is he better move fast 'cos there's a pair of scissors next to my bed. :-P

Flippant jokes aside, the concept of taking money for something you find unacceptable. It's not for me. I'd rather go without the money. I recently went for a job interview - and the money was rather good (50k) - but when I read the line 'the market is king', for me; that was it. I knew it wasn't a firm I could work for.

My Eleven Questions

1. There's a fire in your house. You have time to save three material objects. What do you grab and why?

2. You're an author. Would you be happy writing trash and be minted, or be poor and respected?

3. Karaoke: yes, no? If so, which track? If not, why not?

4. Favourite book?

5. What's your earliest memory?

6. You invent a new technology that would help people. Would you patent it, licence it or give it away to be used freely?

7. Cooking: do you have a signature dish? I'll include snacks, cakes and/or biccies in this.

8. Can you do impressions / accents? Which one is your best/worst/favourite?

9. Is there any skill you wish you had?

10. If you could change an event in history, which would it be and why? It can be a biggie (WW II) or personal.

11. You're cursed (blessed?) with being a monster. Vampire, ghost, werewolf or ghoul? Which one and why?

Eleven Bloggers

In alphabetical order..... (Ed: bloody Virgos :-) )
  1. Alexis
  2. Amanda
  3. Becca
  4. Jenny (who doesn't have a blog but I'd like to know!)
  5. Jonathan
  6. Laura
  7. Penny
  8. Petra
  9. Sophie (who also doesn't have a blog but I'd like to know!)
  10. Stace
  11. Tanya
Take care,
Lynn
x

[ Thanks to Spinal Tap for the quote ]

9 comments:

  1. My Eleven Question/Answers

    1. There's a fire in your house. You have time to save three material objects. What do you grab and why?
    My initials thoughts were none ( and probably still are ....does thet make me callous/heartless)

    An old box of family photographs - which i have never got around to scan (memories seem more fuller when holding such items
    and reading comments and dates written on the back of them).
    The wifes Jewellery box - again more sentimental reasons.
    My Hitachi passport drive - theres a lot of jenny on it.

    2. You're an author. Would you be happy writing trash and be minted, or be poor and respected?
    Poor and Respected.
    (altho will apply to Findus , as Recipe Correction Officer ...just to write 100% roadkill on eveyrthing)

    3. Karaoke: yes, no? If so, which track? If not, why not?
    Yes ( altho the family would probably say Noooooo )
    Neil Diamond ' Sweet Caroline '
    duet - with the daughter - Ozzy Osbourne ' Changes'
    or any Rat Pack number or fun songs.

    4. Favourite book?
    I sort of burned myself out reading at a young age , finished all the books needed for junior school
    before leaving the infants. Can still remember getting tested on Of Mice and Men ,
    by Mr Jones my English Lit teacher as proof i had read the book.

    Fave Book - Cujo ( or any Stephen King )

    5. What's your earliest memory?
    We lived in a maisonette , i was probably around 2 1/2 or 3 and pushing bits of paper through the railings on the balcony
    and watching them flutter away in the breeze.
    Mum still laughs as she also remebers dad rushing down the street trying to find his wages

    6. You invent a new technology that would help people. Would you patent it, licence it or give it away to be used freely?
    I'd run it past the Dragon's , then give it away freely ( with a provisio that it's never used to harm ).
    mean while my Sticky Front Plastic remains locked in the safe.

    7. Cooking: do you have a signature dish? I'll include snacks, cakes and/or biccies in this.
    i'm that old even boys were coerced into doing 'Domestic Studies; at school, hence i can still
    make a great fruit cobbler.

    8. Can you do impressions / accents? Which one is your best/worst/favourite?
    I Normally fail at any impressions or accents , lost the irish brogue at a young age
    else it would have to be a good Rev Ian Paisley.

    9. Is there any skill you wish you had?
    Ambidextrous - i just think that would make applying make up easier.

    10. If you could change an event in history, which would it be and why? It can be a biggie (WW II) or personal.
    An udercarriage failure on Enola Gay. then there would have been no Hiroshima ,
    and with a bit of luck nuclear would have been used for good rather than a threat.
    Sadly i think i will lose my younger brother this year to cancer. And as i can't change the past lets hope i can make him
    have contact with all his children before he no longer make ammends with them.

    11. You're cursed (blessed?) with being a monster. Vampire, ghost, werewolf or ghoul? Which one and why?
    Vampire - love the green pants over the yellow tights look of duckula ...and i need my Nanny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...just to write 100% roadkill on eveyrthing

      We kill it, you grill it! :-)

      Delete
  2. Damn, this is gonna be a lot of work. I thought I had graduated and didn't have homework anymore. Can't I just say my dog ate it? (whining) But I doooon't wanna. Do I haave tooo??? Meaning, of course I will do it, it'll just take some time and a lot of bitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With great effort, comes f*** all reward. Hmm. Must work on my motivational technique. :-)

      Looking forward to reading your answers, though.

      Delete
  3. "I don't believe there's a Richard / Lynn divide: it's just me with different clothes on."

    I like that :)

    But now there's two of you linking this to me. Guess I'd better get busy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that :)

      Ta. I've been told, that on the odd occasion where I've gone to Chams in bloke mode, that I'm pretty much the same. Just a bit... well, ruder.

      Good luck with the answers. It's a bit of a slog, but worth it when you get to read other people's answers.

      Delete
    2. Run DMC ...it's like that , it's just the way it is

      Delete
    3. The answers are easy enough; it's all the rest that's difficult. I've just spent two hours trying to decide which people to link to (most of the blogs I follow are "too serious" for this kind of thing), I've only thought of six random facts so far, and I haven't even started setting questions yet. So I'm giving up. Sorry, Lynn, but thanks anyway :)

      However, if it's just the answers you're interested in... ;)

      1. My computer back-up DVDs (because if I lost everything I have on computer I might as well give up now); my new coat (because it's nice); my cuddly soft-toy polar bear.
      2. Poor and respected. As long poor isn't too poor. I don't want to suffer for my art.
      3. I never have, but I'd be quite tempted by Betty Davis - If I'm In Luck I Might Get Picked Up
      4. See my desert island book post. But if you want fiction then probably ‘The Lord of the Rings’, since I've probably read that more times than any other book.
      5. Hiding in the linen basket.
      6. I'd patent it and then give it away. (If you just give it away somebody else would patent it.)
      7. Crisp sandwiches.
      8. Not really. But I can quote a lot of Joyce Grenfell's ‘A Terrible Worrier’ quite passably.
      9. I'd like to be a much better pianist than I am (without having to do years of practice of course).
      10. I'd prevent Tony Blair from ever entering politics.
      11. From mythology and popular culture, vampires seem the happiest monsters, so I'll be one of those – especially one that can turn into a bat and fly around.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for sharing those.

      7. Crisp sandwiches.

      I can't wait to see you on the Great British Bake-Off. Watching you with your feet up, a hot beverage and a good book for the first few hours. Then, a brief flurry of activity at the end as the sarnie is prepped :-)

      Delete