Friday, May 04, 2012

"Yep, I'd rather be called deadly, for my killer show-tune medley (Thank you!)
'Cause way down deep inside, I've got a dream."

Hello dear reader,

How are things on Planet You? Matters at Jones Towers are a little chilly; not from the emotional view, but the physical. The Jones Mansion is undergoing renovation work - an extension to the Polo Lounge (!!) - so we're without windows in certain parts of the house. Just the gentle breeze and occasional clap of canvas. Still, with luck, the builders will be back in to fit the necessary parts Saturday morning. I'm willing to forgo a Saturday lie-in for the sake of being able to feel my toes when I'm in the back of the house. ;-)

Earlier in the week it was the Ever Lovely Mrs Jones's birthday and armed with a shopping list, I headed into town to purchase a few gifts. I won't regale (Ed: bore? :-P ) you with what I got, it's more the vibe I got while out. It was the simple pleasure of looking for suitable items as presents. A look in this shop, a look in that. I did get a few bargains and Mrs Jones was pleased with them too. Guilt free shopping, you gotta love it. I did manage to avoid buying any shoes (Ed: another first, Lynn ;-D ), although I did get some new leggings from M&S.

The only negative part to the day was a stab of regret from the Pink Fog. I'm still not sure how it works, being trans - and really, I can only comment on my own feelings. Perhaps being at the cross-dressing end of the spectrum, I wonder if somehow the wires between wanting to look good and seeing a well dressed woman got mixed up somewhere along the line. So, yes, the Pink Eyed Monster did make a brief visit.... thankfully seen off by a bout of positive thinking and CBT Jedi mind tricks.

So frown in place I skulked from the shop, only to stop (figuratively speaking) as the ever welcome voice of common sense piped up: "Yeah, she looked cool. Sometimes you do too and sometimes you don't. It ain't all bad..." My thoughts continued down that route for a short time and the Pink Eye Monster was sent packing. Again, yay for good stuff and happy memories.

The Our Different Journey project is still going. We've been talking about it on and off during the week. A few decisions needed to be made about using certain approaches, or perhaps more accurately, suitable technologies. The original plan had been to use a blogging system to do the updates. Yet, as we've dug into it, it seems that's less appropriate and something more lovingly hand crafted may be more suitable. Watch this space, as they say. Oh, talking of ODJ, Jonathan posted his take on the Eight Questions and (IMO) it's a post well worth reading.

All that brings me towards something that started from an off-hand comment on Facebook. Before we dive in, let me set the scene a little. Years ago - oh, and older readers may like to hum New World at this point ;-) - back when I was at school, we had a careers week. The usual stuff of what will you do when you leave.  The teacher, someone who I won't forget because he didn't talk down to us like certain folk, but seemed to listen and encourage discussion rather than dictate. Anyhoo, said teacher, said that when it comes to careers, there are jobs, a career, dream job and fantasy. Jobs are something you do to get the money in; you may not like it, but it beats the alternative - that of going without. A career is something to work towards, I guess a goal of what'd like to you. A dream job is something you'll think wistfully about - perhaps being a top footballer, a TV star or a writer.

That left fantasy, which he didn't explain, but left the comment hang. In the end, someone asked about the last one and he smiled knowingly before explaining. According to Mr Smith, a fantasy job is a bit like a dream job, except it's something that you won't share with others. It may be because others can't see the potential in you, or you doubt yourself. It is, however, something you want to do. He went on to say that lots of people have them and if you put you mind to it, you may just make it.

To be honest, I didn't know what I wanted to do after school. Well, that's not strictly true: I didn't want a lot of hassle, I wanted reasonable money and to be happy. Add a few years to that and all I wanted was to be out of the small town I grew up in, but that's another story. So, fantasy job? As soon as he explained it, I thought drag queen and then I wondered how many of my peers where thinking footballer? :-)

It is a dressing up thing? Quite possibly. :-) Although to my amateur eye, it's high camp and laughs, not passing that's important. There seems to be large elements of performance to it (or so I assume) and between you, me and the search engines, I like that type of thing. If that makes me shallow, so be it, but I do enjoy making people laugh. Ideally it's with me, but you can't always be the comic hero. :-)

Have I made any moves towards exploring that field? No, not really. Not being able to hold a tune and the thought that some folk are upset by it makes me think twice. I have tried writing comedy and I find it very tricky. I find it easy to work with someone, or banter / mock the news, but to sit in a quiet room and come up with a routine, that's a talent I don't seem to have. To that end, I'm happy to keep this one as a daydream, rather than inflict my fashion sense and humour on the unsuspecting public..... oh wait, the photo stream. Damn. ;-)

But enough about me, what's your dream job?

Take care,
Lynn

[ Today's Lyric: I've Got a Dream from Disney's Tangled ]

12 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I have a single dream job. As a kid I had a succession of dreams, but got bored of each quite quickly, and moved on to something else. Two I remember were artic-driver and stuntman. (No doubt inspired by The Fall Guy and BJ & The Bear). At this moment in time prop-maker appeals. But that wil be replaced by something else soon.

    As for drag, its something that's been on my mind recently. I never really liked drag shows. Something about the Northern Working Mans Club about them that rubbed me up the wrong way. Maybe because my female impersonation is emulation, and their's is parody?

    But I'm tempted to take some of the drag attitude and style for a future cosplay - the Disney-esque villain Queen Chrysalis from My Little Pony. And pondering on that has made me consider performing again. Specially now I have a little Burlesque experience under my belt. Maybe I can get a compering gig somewhere small and hipster-y :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you could have made Eastwood look so fine too. ;-) Prop maker sounds interesting.

      Yeah, I'm with you on the confusion over drag. I don't like the nasty stance that some performers seem to take - and that can be as much about the comedy as costume. I've not been to a show, so maybe my views are limited.

      I'm not familiar with MLP, although with the Burlesque, how about Ursilla from The Little Mermaid? :-) Eeek, so Cthulhu darhlink! :-D

      Delete
  2. OK, hint taken - I'll stop harassing you with my comedic aspirations for your career. Your stand up life will be just like a candle in the wind :o)

    Dream job question is a good one. Need to think about that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not read it as harassment. We'll see what the solicitor's letter says shall we? ;-) Like I said, I do think about it, but like a lot in life that goes through my head, little actually gets done. I guess it's a case of juggling my spare time and fitting in what I want to do. If I really wanted to do it, I'd work through each excuse - because that's what they are - and do it.

      Looks like there's now a dream job meme doing the rounds. Somewhat amusing in that a comment from you - Facebook I think - sparked this post. Play it forward then mrs. <<>>

      Delete
    2. I got it through and they are definitely citing harassment! So am I allowed to not give up on the idea completely? :o)

      I think the dream job might be 'housewife', but I'll probably get barraged with objections on that front, so I'll continue to think. As a holder of two jobs, surely one of them should be a dream job - and I think they are probably heading in that direction...

      Delete
    3. You can dream on your own time, Rhi. :-) I think about it, but that's as far as it goes. Perhaps getting some material down would be a start. Some good material would be even better :-D

      Housewife? Oh, I don't blame you. On the odd occasion I've had time off to look after the nippers and the house, I rather enjoyed it. The only downside, the pay is pants, but the hours are a good and it beats sitting in meetings. :-)

      Delete
  3. Hmmm.... As the years have passed I think the dream job has faded into the mists. As a youngster, I always wanted to be a rally (or race) driver. I now know that would never have happened as the commitment from myself and family wasn't there to make it as a paid career. Also I know I'm good, maybe to get to national level, but not to international, well paid level. Not enough to fully live on anyways.

    As far as a drag queen job goes. Never appeals to me.

    I really enjoy my current sysadmin job, although progress for development is nil now, as the company systems wind down.

    The best job I've had so far was working in distribution (warehousing) in Systems. Had responsibility for everything. Phones, computers, network, planning, stock control, etc. We were the brains of the warehouse. Tough working, long hours and not well paid. But it was great.

    I've written a 'Different Journey' article but I'm not happy with it. After reading Jonathan blog entry, I'm inspired to try a different (sic) track and I'm going to re-write it.

    Don't worry about that lady in the shop looking cool. She may have a good day that day, then the next she may not be so cool. We all have it. Glad the Jedi mind tricks worked for you. As long as you can't apply them to work on other people :-)

    Wow!! That's almost a blog entry in itself!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta for the comment, lots of interesting bits in there, Tanya. Do you still do any rallying, or are you content with the running?

      Glad to hear that your current job is working for you. Working doing something that's pants is awful. Long hours and tough isn't necessarily all bad; I think if the folk you work with make up for that, it really helps.

      Shame about the ADJ article, but then some first drafts (ooo, 'ark at her with her fancy writers' talk! ;-P ) don't work out and it's back to banging the hands against the keyboard until something good comes out.

      Thanks for the kind words about the lady in the shop. Perspective is, I think, key. PS: This is not the dress you are looking for. You can go about your business. ;-)

      Delete
    2. I don't do any proper motorsport now, but keep my hand in by the occasional endurance karting with some of the guys at work. As they are all automotive engineers and most of them actively compete in various disciplines of motorsport, it does get very competitive between us. The running lark came to be because I had to find some competitive and cheap hobby to do when I moved east.

      Unfortunately this current role is coming to an end. I'm in the process of winding it down to a tight, cohesive task list to pass on to someone else. Most probably have another 3-6 months. Then I'll have to find something else to do. Which may lead to a move oop north.... :-)

      Anyway. I'm not keen on the pink velour and gold buttons on this garment. I'll try next door..... :-)

      Delete
  4. I daren't ask what 'endurance karting' is. I've got an idea is one those wizzy little cars and one too many RedBulls. But I'm probably not the man to ask. :-)

    Sorry to hear the job is winding down, but so things go. If you did move Oop Neurth, at least there's a vibrant social scene.... and Chams/Invasion :-D

    BTW, how come you never see a camp Jedi? "Ooo, that's colour's soooo you. Off you pop and, sweetie, these are not the droids you are looking for."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine was opening the batting for England, men's or women's I didn't mind or being the Doctor or assistant / companion. The chance of the first two has passed although theres still hope a blue box might appear someday. :-)

    Hope the Jones mansion has been completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Ooo, wizzing through time and space.... with infinite wardrobe capacity. Sounds a grand idea! :-)

      The amendments to the southern wing of the property [/posh] are almost done. Just a few minor items to sort out and then the new flooring goes in at the end of the week. Yay! We've been using the kitchen as is - concrete floor is sooo the next big thing (if you want to have dust *everywhere* ;-) ) and both Mrs J and I are very pleased.

      Delete