Friday, April 20, 2012

"Just switch off your television set and go out and do something less boring instead?"

Hi folks,

Larks, how to start this one? There we go, just type the first thing that comes into my head and off we go eh? That normally does it and I wouldn't want to spoil you by actually writing something witty and clever now would I... although it would be nice. ;-)

I'm a bit torn (Ed: no, not like that) over today's post. On one hand, I sort of want to talk about the week being a bit pants (topped off nicely by a failed attempt at Invasion), but I'm conscious that to dwell on the negative isn't particular good for my mood, nor does it make for interesting read. So, if I'm not going to complain about stuff, I'm not going out and I've not been shopping, what is a t-girl....

[ BTW, when do you stop being a T-girl? Seeing as I'm trying to easy myself off the other T word at the mo. But that aside, I'm in the last of my 30s and while Ever Lovely Mrs Jones still has 'girls night out', so does that let me qualify too? Ahh, the life of a simple cross-dresser and the joys of language and labels... ;-) ]

.... going to blog about? Well, in time honoured tradition, you just look at a friend's blog and pinch - sorry, I mean be inspired by - their post. :-) Weak jokes aside, Sam posted an interesting article about her hobbies, interests and stuff that leaves her cold. So, after checking it was okay, I shall do the same, but first, the basic rules from Sam's post:

  • Hobbies - Things i actively take part in, That i actually do in real life. 
  • Interests - These are things i think about often, but haven't put into action (yet!). 
  • Dis-Interests - Things that i used to do, but now i either don't do, or i don't enjoy. Dare i say these are 'Hates?' 

With those ground rules laid down, off we go!

Hobbies


Hobbies. I've had a few, but then again, mostly nerdy.... :-) Yeah, I might be closet trans now, but I was not-so-closet-nerd in my youth. Heavy metal, role-playing games (CP2020 FTW!), computers, reading, etc. Some stayed with me, some I left by the wayside as I changed tack.

Sh**. Now that I come to think of them, it's look a pretty empty list.... Pants. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea! :-) What do I consider to be a hobby? Well, for me, it's something more than an interest: yeah, I know you didn't come here for an argument about definitions. ;-)

  • Writing:

    I guess I write for a hobby. Sure, there's the blogging stuff, but I don't consider that to be writing per say. That's more.... more a mix between social networking, being a nosey so-and-so, getting stuff off my chest and also - well, I hope! - putting out the vibe, that if I can, anyone can.

    So writing? It started off with writing a background for a role-playing game. See, I told you I was at one with my geekness. But as time went on, it became a lot less about the game and became more about the idea of the world: a rather bleak and harsh world of the future. Humanity messed up, climate knackered and the planet's in an ice age, rogue war machines and a heady mix of genetic / surgical engineering (hey, I'm trans right?) to alter people.

    Other than that, if I get an idea that interests me - something that's a spin on something I see in the real world - I'll put that in my notebook (yeah, pen and paper, baby) and maybe write something about that when the mood takes me.

    Very occasionally, I'll write a spoof article or a comedy script. Just a little short based on something I've seen or maybe read on the news. They don't tend to go far, I keep them for my own amusement more than anything. Secretly, I'd like to have a go at stand-up, but I'm terrified of not being funny enough. Really, you'd think I'd be used to that by now. ;-)
     
  • Walking:

    Not exactly rock and roll, but I try to get out when I can. I'm not one of those organised walkers; y'know, the folk who know what they're doing with a compass and a map. For me, it's just about getting out and stretching my legs. Being out of the office, or taking the kids plus hound for a stroll at the weekend: I'm easy really. It's an excuse to get some exercise and if the weather's good, enjoy the scenery. Provide the kids aren't nattering away, it's a little bit of quiet time where you can just enjoy what's going on around you. I don't tend to do long walks, just an hour, maybe two or three if we're on holiday.
  • Dancing:

    Okay, for anyone who's been on a trans night out will know, I can't stay away from the dance floor. Thus it was ever the case since I moved to Nottingham back in the 90s. Funny thing is, I can't do formal or organised dances at all. Ballroom, not a clue. No joy with Irish dancing (and I don't mean setting fire to an English castle. No, it's okay, I'm partly Irish, I can make that joke). But stick some cheesy pop and I'm gone, man, solid gone.... :-)

  • Baking:

    Baking, yes. Cooking, no. Cookies, cakes, treats, biccies: all good stuff and dare I say, most people who try them like them. Sure, I know your family are supposed to be nice, but you know kids: if it's wrong, they'll tell you. I think one of the nicest things someone said about my baking was a work-mate after a conference dinner. "The brownie pudding was nice, but not as good as yours." I did feel rather chuffed by that.

    I don't bake regularly and it's something I've got out of the habit of doing. It's not good for the waistline, but I find it does cheer me up. I think it's the slow process of it. You have to concentrate on what you're doing - well, I certainly do! - and you can get lost in doing so. Half an hour to an hour of non-thinking.

Oookay, that's hobbies. Wow, I'm so deep. ;-) I could have put 'the Internet' but that seems such a part of modern life now, that to me at least, it would be like someone putting "I like television". More on that later.

Interests


Stuff I like the think about or do, but I wouldn't say they were full time activities. Looking at Sam's list, these are mainly things I think about. The only item I'd say I've not actioned (to use an awful workism) would be doing something with my writing.
  • Technology:

    Am I nerd? Bah, I really don't care if you say so or not. :-) I find technology interesting: gadgets, gizmos, hacks and tweaks: they are very much part of the Jones' genetics. My Granddad was an engineer, my Dad worked in electronics, so I guess - no pun intended - it's pretty much hardwired in.

    Perhaps ironically, I don't have that many gadgets. I think that may be my Scots' heritage coming out (Ed: too tight to pay for them! :-P ) in that often I'll wait until the price comes down, or until I think I really need one. Not that we don't do too badly: a BluRay player, a PC under the TV for iPlayer....

    Which brings me on to a sub-interest of 'bodging stuff'. I guess if I was from Derby-way, I'd say I'd 'mackle' something, but I guess it's like a mix of fixing and tweaking. I like making technology do things it wasn't really designed to do. "See a need, fill a need" as a certain kids film once proclaimed.
     
  • Shopping:

    I shop, therefore, I am. :-) I don't have to buy anything, although that's nice. It's more the process of browsing and finding things that I like. To that end, I like shopping for people's birthdays - well, at least if I've got some idea of what they'd like.

    Top a day's shopping off with a spot of lunch or afternoon tea and I'm made-up. Nah, scratch that, if I'm out in Lynn mode and all the rest... ;-)
     
  • History:

    Not so much the dry stuff they'd teach you at school (or so it seemed to me), but the proper stuff: facts about people and places. Old buildings that have been renovated or altered to suit a new purpose. The changes our towns and cities go through over the years. All of those things, they fascinate me. Just the other day, I was in a pub and they had some photos from the 1900s on the walls. Snaps of Nottingham from the last century. I loved how much had changed and noticing how much hadn't.

Dis-Interests


Stuff that I just don't get.

  • Television:

    I used to watch far too much when I was younger. My pop culture bank was chock full of stuff I really didn't need to know..... and now? Now, I hardly watching any. Sure, I may watch something while the Ever Lovely Mrs Jones are downstairs, or if the kids want to watch something (more often a DVD boxes set or film nowadays). There's the odd gem that I make the time to catch, but now, whole series pass me by.

    I don't like soaps, talent shows, or...
  • Sport:

    Yawn. ;-)

    Look, I know some people like football. They like motor racing or stuff like that, but it just leaves me cold. I just don't get it. Luckily, there are lots of other things to do and no-one's sport mad in our house. My Dad's the same. Maybe I get it from him.
  • DIY:

    I am sh** at DIY. I much prefer EaP: Employ a professional. The job will look better, be done in a quarter of the time and I won't mess my nails up. Really, what's not to like? ;-)
  • Getting up:

    I'm just not a morning person. I'm probably at my most productive and awake around 8 to 10pm. If I do anything creative - writing mainly - that's when I'm in my zone. :-) No, in an ideal world, my morning would start around 9.30ish with an aim to doing something for 10. There shouldn't be any need to see a second six o'clock during the day. ;-)
  • Apple Macs... or rather, the OS.

    As a fellow blogger once put, "Thats right, a controversial one." ;-) I've used a few at work and while they're nice looking, I don't really like the way they work. It just seems a bit counter-intuitive, but maybe that says more about me than the OS. By they way, if you want a lesson in counter-intuitive, install Windows 8. :-P

    Plus, I'm not keen on Apple's walled garden, nor their legal battle against Google. They're not the only firm to fight their corner, I just wish all vendors would show a little common sense and let the consumer have choice. Hell, you've bought it, you should IMO, be able to do what you want with it.

    Does that make me a Windoze fanboi or a Linux advocate? :-D I work with both products on a daily basis and have done for more years than I care to remember. I wouldn't say I have any particular love for them. Provided they work reliably and play nicely with other systems, I'm cool with your choice.

    I see computers as a tool (Ed: stop that sniggering). If they let you do what you need to do, be that for a hobby or for work, then yay. Of all the computer users I've met - and it's been a few - I've only met three really bad zealots and (IMO) each one was as wrong as the next one. Tears before bedtime because a certain Linux distro wasn't allowed (it didn't support the product we had to use); shouting at the project meeting because Windows wasn't the solution (it didn't scale compared to the Unix offering) and snootiness from someone from the Cult of Mac (the corporate accounts software wasn't available for her machine!). Users eh? Who'd have 'em ;-)

    I dunno. You don't see kids arguing about which type of crayon is the best, why is it so different for computers? :-)

Tag. You're it!


Seeing as I've nicked Sam's style for a post, I did check about tagging folk. If you're interested in rattling off something similar, please do! I'd love to read yours..... just remember to link back to the lady in question! Umm... not that I'm questioning Sam's ladyness... that would be rude ;-)


Take care,
Lynn

[ Today's lyric: the theme from BBC's "Why Don't You?" Kids, go ask your parents ;-) ]

11 comments:

  1. Great post Lynn. (And ask your parents indeed - you're making me feel old!)

    Nice list, though I must admit I am one of those people who watches MotoGP, SBK, F1 and the Six Nations :) I don't do football though!

    Stace

    BTW Is it me or do you have a new logo (or have I just been reading your blog using the blogger app on my phone? It looks great anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stace. It was all Sam's idea - credit where credit's due and all that.

      Hey, if you enjoy sport, knock yourself out... okay, not literally, that would be cruel. I'm just saying, I don't get it.

      The logo? Yes, updated a little while ago by the rather talented Maddy Watson.

      Delete
  2. CP2020 eh? I can see my boxed set from here at the computer, but it's been a while since I used it. My players prefer Shadowrun :)

    I'll give this a go though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Another one on the wheel.

      Yeah, not played 2020 for *ages*. We did play a bit and that mutated into a tweaked version specifically for the UK, but that's by the by. I never really clicked with Shadowrun. Sure, it's a good game, but I think it was the inclusion of fantasy races into what I still think of as a sci-fi game that was just too much for me.

      Ironic considering the CP home-brew version went a bit Voodoo / Cthulhu / Hellraiser at various points. :-)

      Delete
  3. Time to come out of the closet!
    I'm using a Mac. There, I said it.

    Seriously, you should have seen the car-loads of PC junk that we took to the tip when we went over to using Macs here at Clare Towers. Never looked back. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy! If the system does what you need, who am I to say it's right or wrong? Personal preference! TBH, all I do these days is use a word processor, a browser and an email client (Thunderbird FTW!). I guess I could do those on just about any of the main operating systems. I did toy with Linux for a bit during the Vista mess. When Windows 7 came out, I jumped back and unless Win8 improves, I'll probably go back to Ubuntu. I'd use Chrome if it worked on my hardware, but it's very laptop orientated.

      Delete
  4. I'm a Mac-obsessed geek. And proud. Macbook, iPad, iPhone, Mac screens x2. Cut me open and there will be an Apple with a bite out of it running all the way through...

    And finally. I knew you harboured a secret stand up desire but were in the nile. There surely must be a low risk way to get started: you would be absolutely fab at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll skip on the obvious fruit related jokes. :-)

      Thanks for the kind words re: stand up. I've thought about it and an old school friend has done it. She considers herself an amateur, but she's had some good reviews and does bring in a crowd. She also said the same line I used earlier: If I can, anyone can. J said that open mic nights are a good way to start and I think that's how Jessica Who* got started.

      ( I can't just say Who, it has to be WhoooooOOOH!. Maybe it's a Brit thing :-) )

      Delete
    2. I never got that about Jessica Who - she just is pretending she's married to a time lord? If it was still David Tennant, I'd have changed my name too! :o)

      Thank you for not taking up the fruit opportunity...

      Rhi x

      Delete
  5. Hmmm, maybe I'll get round to this too, but at the moment I'm still working on the questions from March 30th. *runningtocatchup*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No rush, Jonathan. You could always store this one up for a rainy day. Then again, with the weather we've been having of late.... ;-)

      Delete