Friday, July 22, 2011

"Life in a Northern town..."

Hello again dear reader,

I hope all is well with you and yours. Time for another post in the old blog! The week's been a little busier than usual, mainly due to the Ever Lovely Mrs Jones being away for a while. So, yeah, I was house husband for a bit. While it was a little difficult in places - clearly I'm not quite as with it as my ego would suggest - it was very rewarding. I mean the main thing is the chance to spend a decent amount of time with the kids. There was a fair bit of dog walking, some baking, a bit of Plasticine monster mash (don't ask) and we were sorted. Anyways, the ELMJ is now back safe and sound, so maybe things will quieten down. Oh wait, no; the school's have broken up, so Wee Man will be lording it up with a number of weeks of free-time. Ahh, school holidays, they seemed to go on forever. (Ed: caution 'jumpers as goal posts' moment could be approaching :-P ).

By chance, I happened to be looking through the telly's EPG and I caught a show on BBC3 called Jamie: Drag Queen at 16 (it'll be on iPlayer if you're quick and there's some clips on YouTube). Okay, while I think there is a difference between drag folk and trans folk, we do walk a similar path. From outside eyes, there's seems considerably more fabulous than our rather more high street look. Personally, I find it tricky to get the balance between wanting to look good, but not wanting to look too trans or too fabulous. Maybe that's the real difference and while I might be able to sync along to a Girls Aloud track with the best of them, I think I lack the 'attitood' to really be a performer. Perhaps more accurately, a good performer. :-) Oh, and a jaw that can be used to clear snow from the roads doesn't help either, but let's move on. ;-)

But back to the TV show in question. As the programme rolled on, I couldn't help but feel for Jamie. Not to feel sorry, but feel for him as a person. He's young, wants to be true to himself and although he was okay with being openly gay, that last step on the glittery staircase in f*** me pumps seemed a little too much. Yet - bless 'im - he did it all in spades and what brought a smile to my face, was that a) his friends were with him, and b) when push came to shove with the School saying it going to the prom in drag wasn't fully appropriate, so the rest of the year seemed to rally to support him too. Was there an element of teenage 'sticking it to the Man' in that? Perhaps, but then with social conformity and other such pressures, I found it very cool to see the School back down and just let him be. To stick your neck out at that age; the midst of your teenage years when you are tagged by your actions, seemed - to me at least - incredibly brave.

Sure, being a simple tranny, I'm highly likely to fall on his side. It must have taken a lot of guts to come completely out and be completely out there. I think it's one thing to post a few snaps and turn up to a trans social group once in a while. Not that I mean to belittle that and I'm chuffed with having those chances. I certainly wouldn't have made new friends quite so easily. I think that another key difference is that I, and maybe a few other tranny folk out there, get to go back to our day jobs as Regular Blokes.

But ignoring that angle, a young lad who is at ease with himself rather than being messed up by it all. What's not to like? Maybe it is as the slogan says: It Gets Better.

Take care,
Lynn

[ Today's lyric: Life in a Northern Town by Dream Academy ]

6 comments:

  1. yes, he was a total sweetheart - and his mum :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan: Interesting that his mum was pushing him to follow what he actually wanted to do. His mum's friend was a hoot too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought the mother and
    her friend were the
    unexpected stars of the
    piece. Its an incredible
    step to take at any age let
    alone so young.
    A shame about the father
    though, his loss really.
    Lucie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lynn, thought I'd say 'hello', and nice blog again. I caught Jamie's programme too, it was enjoyable, and I found it strangely inspiring. Good on him, to face up to what he has at such a tender age. However it did make me think twice about telling my own dad about my pink powers... :(

    The phrase that me and the missus howl though: "ooo, it really boils my p*ss" - I shall be sure to use that one in the future!!!

    See you at the party.

    Maddy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucy: As you say, shame his Dad couldn't seem to get his head around it. I'm with you on the Mum + friend, they certainly had their moments.

    Maddy: Hi misses! I know you mentioned telling your folks before, I guess that doesn't get any easier with youth or age. It's still a big step.

    I must have missed the line about 'boils my piss' LOL. That's one for the team meeting on Tuesday ;-)

    ReplyDelete