Friday, May 27, 2011

"You may ask yourself, 'Well, how did I get here?'"

Hey folks,

I am glad it's the weekend - and a long weekend at that. Let's hear it for bank holidays. :-) If there's one word that could sum up this week, it would be: frantic (Ed: "like Harrison Ford I'm frantic"? ;-P ). One of those weeks were the work levels increase steady and surely until you've got more plates spinning than... umm.. someone who spins a lot of plates for a living. Still, it could be worse, I could be bored and that's awful ;-)

So work is building up (again), although I did get some feedback on the job I didn't get. A few things to think about. Perhaps ironically, improving my communication skills. It seems I've got the necessary bits and bobs on paper, but I need to make it more obvious to those not in the know. Well, lessons learned eh?

I think it was Tuesday when I was driving to work and I caught an interview on Radio 4: The Choice. It was with a chap who was a gypsy and he also happened to be gay. He was saying that at the time of his youth - 70s or 80s I think - it wasn't the done thing and he felt he had no choice but to leave. It's probably on Listen Again if you fancy your chances on a rewind and you can make your own mind up on the story.

I found Mr Walsh's story very interesting, moving and a little sad at the same time. Sad in that he felt he'd never fit in and his only choice was to leave. Not just leaving his family, which is one thing, but to leave his whole way of life and move into a culture that he - by his own admission - said he knew next to nothing about. I won't say that my own upbring was anything like his. I had a quiet, middle class upbringing via two lovely parents who were rather liberal (at least compared to some of my friends' parents).

As the interview ended and I drew up to park the car, I began to wonder how many big or little choices we make that push us down a particular route. There are - obviously - those large decisions such as changing jobs, moving house, starting a relationship or having kids. But there are also those little ones, like changing your route to work (and being early/late), the random happenstance of meeting an old friend because you decided to go into a particular shop.

I guess part of the thing with choices is living with those decisions and as the famous lyric points out - regrets, I've had a few - and I've wondered, if you could go back and change a choice: what impact would it have on your life and if you changed one thing, would it drive you to change another? There's a Twilight Zone episode in the making. ;-)

It was time for Chameleons this week and with all that was going on with work, I wasn't quite in the frame of mind to go along. I had packed a bag and while I wasn't 100% happy with my choices, I had 2 - 3 outfits sort of planned. Yet, as Thursday dragged by, I couldn't quite get the enthusiasm to get all dolled up. Instead, I went in Bob Mode. You know what? I'm glad I did. I had a really good night just chatting and laughing with friends. In some ways, it was better in that I didn't have the faff of having to ensure all my make-up was off, nor having get changed at the end of the night.

Funny, I suppose, all those thoughts of the past where you can't find the time to dress and when it's handed on a plate, you shrug and move on. Trannys, eh? You just can't please them :-)

Stay safe,
Lynn
x

[ Today's lyric: Once in a Lifetime by Talking Heads ]

5 comments:

  1. I saw the title and was just going to post something like "You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile" when you said where it came from. Damn. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "if you could go back and change a choice"
    The trouble with this would be I may never have met good friends like you Lynn. I may regret mistakes I have made, but I try never to regret decisions once made. Especially as you dont know the alternative outcome.
    I guess it always comes down to 'if only'.

    Good to see you and have a chat thursday, and you shouldnt feel pressure to be in Lynn mode. Its the person that counts. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonathan: LOL. Oddly, the track was on the radio and then again during a podcast I was listening too. Spooky as I'd already picked the lyric out from earlier.

    Sophie: Bless you me dear! :) I think so long as you (one?) looks before leaping, it's not so bad. I'm with you on the not changing stuff. Sure, there are bits thank I think, well, that was a stupid idea but in the main, they are few and far between.... Plus, would I have ended up where I am now? Perhaps not and really, it's pretty good from where I'm sat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All appliances should include a 'Bob Mode'. It sounds... trouble-free. Move over Energy Star: Bob Mode is the new energy-saving solution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MFV: LOL. They certainly should.

    "Just switched to tae drab mode, Captain. Save a wee bit o' poowah." ;-)

    ReplyDelete