Friday, April 01, 2011

"Come take a trip with me, to Future World"

Hiya,

I had jotted some notes down on a bit of paper for today's post. Thing is, I got busy at work. Friday afternoon is not the time for meetings. Actually, is any time a good time for a meeting? ;-) I find that trying stuff just for the craic works best on a Friday. That bit of technical wizardry you've put off and now the office is quiet, you can get your head around the problem. Anyhoo, after a bit of thinking outside the box, the development systems can now do few more things can it could before. Yay for results.

Seems I'm not the only one who's been bashing the scripting rocks together either. Blogger have released a new gadget that alters the way you can view a blog. You'll need a fairly modern browser - whatever that means - and the link is here. I've also added just under the slogan generator on the right hand side of the screen. Hence the alternative viewing options test.

What else? Well... not a lot really. It's been very quiet at the mo. Pretty much a case of going through the usual routine of sleep, rush, school run, work, lunch time walk, work, home, kids, sleep, repeat until Saturday. Don't get me wrong, there have been good things throughout that loop. Just little things like making a really nice tea, having a laugh with the family or, and as tonight, coming home to a very scrummy tea. That was served by a rather glamorous Mrs Jones. She's had her hair done and very nice it looks too.

Other than hamming the keyboard at Blogger, there's the odd occasion where I do a spot of writhing. I tend to drift off and daydream ideas. When I'm organised, I remember to make notes on these and some of them end up as short stories. Don't worry, I won't be inflicting any on you here. So why am I mentioning it? Well, much as that's been a bit of a hobby, I decided to tidy one up - with the help of the Ever Lovely Mrs Jones - and send one off to a competition. Do I expect to win? No, but it would be nice. :-)

Most of it is science fiction or a dark twist on modern times. While none of them have a specific trans theme in them, there is a vibe in there for it. Certain with the far future ones, where biotechnology can pretty much do anything; appearance is fluid. Is is wish fulfilment? No, I don't think it is. Often the shift in appearance for some characters - sometimes to something others would consider freakish or monstrous - is just background. For them it is normal. Hmmm, where have I felt that before? :-) Come to think of it, if biotechnology was that good now, how far would people go? I guess that's part of the reason I write, to explore those feelings.

Talking of nice things, I saw a very nice pair of wedges and some chunky heels sandals while out and about the other week. I think I may pop by the store again and see if the interest is still there.

Oh, it's Mother's Day in the UK this Sunday. Cards and flowers, girls! ;-)

Take care,
Lynn
x

[ Today's lyric: Future World by Helloween. ]

11 comments:

  1. "Actually, is any time a good time for a meeting? ;-)"

    I think we need to have a meeting to discuss this... :-)

    Personally, I prefer the "get to work, sleep, wake up, lunch, nap time, go home, do something interesting" routine. But each to their own, I guess! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn Ann: LOL. Perhaps a pre-meeting meeting so we're 110%ready? :-D

    Hmmm... Yes, a nap would be nice, but sadly all too lacking in my schedule. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. zzzzzzzzz
    oh sorry you must have caught me napping when the meeting request went out. ;o)
    Card already bought, flowers sought tommorow. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate meetings where people are just sitting listening to their own voice, repeating what has already been said and spending 3 hours doing what could be discussed within 10 minutes...

    And as Carolyn Ann says meetings to discuss the meetings. I had a few of those in the past and it has to be the biggest waste of time spending 90 minutes discussing when everyone is available and what the focus of the meeting should be...

    Argh!

    As for mothers day, my mum called me yesterday and it came up that it was mothers day on Sunday (it's not in Holland!) so she will unfortunately not get a card as it won't get there in time. But she will get a call and a long chat :)

    Stace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sophie: Nurse! She's dropped off again. ;-) I wonder if that's allowed in meetings? Nodding off that is. "Look, you clearly have no ideas yet. I'll just have 40 winks and wake me if I snore." :-)

    Stace: Yes, I've sat through a few of those in the past. Why not just record a Vlog and send out a link? :-P

    Yes, Mother's Day at different times for different places. At least we've not fallen for global branding on that one yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dabbling in a little science fiction writing, eh? I've been doing a bit of that myself lately - I was getting a bit blocked with some original (fantasy) stuff I've been doing, so decided to shelve it for a while, and just try my hand at a piece of Doctor Who fan fiction that'd been evolving in my head over the previous few years. So far, it's been working really well - I'm still passionate about it, and it's been great to relearn something I discovered quite a few years back now: that it's really NOT that hard for me to sit down in front of my computer and churn out a decent number of words every day.

    Like you, I deal with trans issues in quite a bit of my writing without making them the focus of the story. In my case, it's really just about creating a nice, suitably strange, story whose protagonist just happens to be a cross-dresser. Sometimes I think that stories like that can be particularly effective in showing that we're not that weird a bunch of people; we can deal with whatever baggage our CDing came with, and then just get on with other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zosimus: Hi there. I remember someone saying that coming back to a story you're stuck on can help. Just crack on with something else and return later. It's a bit nuts, but I think my subconscious seems to keep chewing the problem over and after a while, some suggestions come along.

    As to the trans bits... I'm afraid I'm a bit more vague in my treatment of it. I did do one with a story with a shape-changer in it and one with a cyborg obessed with replacing parts again and again. Not done anyting really trans specific, but I wouldn't say no.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Re the subconscious thing, I've found that that's been my experience as well. Nowadays, if I'm having too much trouble with part of a story, I'll just leave it to my subconscious to mull over, and go on with something else (either another part of the same tale*, or, as is the case now, a different one altogether), confident that my subconscious will come up with a way around the impasse sooner or later. It's amazing how often a solution to a problem will come to you when you're no longer actively looking for it.

    Another reason I've switched to writing what I am now is that I simply need the confidence boost that comes from actually finishing something. The original story I mentioned in my last comment is one I've been working on for a little over a decade now(!), and while that hasn't been wholly a bad thing - my writing has improved a helluva lot during that time**, and I've also had lots of good ideas for the story that I wouldn't have had if I'd finished it much sooner - it's also been more than a little discouraging. I just don't want to find myself still working on it when I'm on my deathbed!

    *One of the best changes I ever made in the way I wrote was getting rid of the idea that I had to write a story in the same order in which it'd be read. Before I did, I'd often find myself experiencing the ridiculous situation of having, say, the final scene written word-for-word in my head, yet, instead of getting that down, be wasting my time struggling with a scene at the beginning of the book that was going absolutely nowhere.

    **For one thing, I've dispensed with an atrocious habit I once had of cramming every sentence with as many adjectives and adverbs as I could in the misguided belief that that way lay the path to literary genius. Mind you, given that one of my biggest influences at the time was the notoriously verbose horror writer H.P. Lovecraft, that's probably understandable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zosimus: You mentioned having written the ending before the start. It's funny you say that, as I too used to write A to B to C. I think it was Alistair Reynolds who said (of his short stories), that he'd have an ending in mind and that the fun was writing about the events that lead up to that. I found that really liberating and it certainly made writing a lot easier. I can't comment on the quality, but it certainly increased the fun. :)

    I hope you stick with the writing and if you do get anything published or put on-line, please let me know!

    Lynn
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think word processors make it easier to write a story in whatever order you like, as well as do all sorts of other useful things. Certainly, since getting one myself, I haven't missed the "good old days", when every writing session would end with my wastepaper basket filled with balls of scrunched-up paper!

    I hope you stick with the writing and if you do get anything published or put on-line, please let me know!

    Will do. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zosimus: I find spelling and grammer checks very useful. Sometimes I even remember to use them ;-)

    I love the fact that you can have multiple versions on the go, so toying with the plot(s) is a lot easier.

    Good luck with the writing!

    ReplyDelete