Friday, March 11, 2011

"Reasons to be cheerful."

Hi,

How's it going? Here on Planet Jones it's been a bit mixed. Well, mixed up perhaps. A strange sort of drift through good things and not so good stuff, all with that old devil, tiredness.

Let's get the good stuff going because - and let's face it - that's the things that keep it all worth while. I'm feeling a lot better than I did at the start of the week. I think a good long kip and a night out with the girls (okay, t-girls) has helped. That and getting on top (Ed: oo-er!) of a work project that's been bugging me for a while. With Little Miss stopping with Granny, it meant I didn't have to get up quite so early and that extra 30 minutes dozing was very welcome.

I'm not sure if I'd been overdoing it, or if it was a case of a few night's interrupted sleep, but I was beginning to feel the numbing embrace of the black dog. Don't worry, I won't be reached for the noose or shotgun just yet. ;-) I did start to feel that I was circling around it and much as it pulled at me, I didn't want to go back down that route. Extra walks, keeping busy with work or writing seemed to help. Sure, I found myself snapping at the kids (not good) and Mrs Jones noticed a downturn too.

In fact, she got a bit narked by it and much as I tried to try and explain - about depression - it's not easy, even for a paid per word gobsh**e like me, to get the right words. What I was trying to say is I don't want to be down and I don't like being down. I would much rather be bumbling along in my own little world like I used to. But... with any illness - because that's how I see it - you don't get that luxury. If you break your leg, it doesn't matter how much of a 'brave face' you put on it, it's just busted until it's healed. Still, we talked and that helped. That's the minor bump of negativity out of the way, because if I look back at where I was and where I am now, it's a long way out of that void.

So. Other good stuff? Thursday was, mais oui, time to collect the gear and make my way to Chameleons. This time, some funky tights and flat boots for a bit of a change. Unusually for us, we didn't have anything big on: no party, drive-by make-overs or such-like. Just a good old fashioned sit down and a chat. A few new people came along and the group did their best to say hi and make them feel at home. Rebecca popped in later on and later on, we had a chat about improving the ambiance of the place. Don't get me wrong, the Community Centre is a good venue and while the group give a warm welcome, I guess the larger hall can look a bit barren. To be honest, it's partly my fault as in the winter months, our numbers are up, so I put the chairs out in the big hall. That's not quite as cosy as the bar area - not that we can drink in there, but hey, so it goes.I got to catch up with friends and generally take it easy. What's not to like? :-)

Boots will be visiting next time - which reminds me, I must check they've got all they need - and, we've had another company approach us about a visit. This time it's a local beauty salon. I'm not 100% sure we're the right target audience, but I guess we'll see what they have to offer and a trans-friendly shop isn't to be sniffed at.

Take care,
Lynn

[ Today's lyric: Reasons to be Cheerful by Ian Dury and the Blockheads.... or Faithless and "Reasons (Saturday Night)" ]

5 comments:

  1. just remember that you have my number Lynn, if you need to talk.
    I didnt think that I was allowed more boots... oh I see... Doh! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire: Thanks, chuck :-) The dress is, I think, about six years old now. It was one of the first things I bought when I started going out to Chams.

    Sophie: No more boots for you, missy! You could open a shop :-)

    Thank you for the offer about a chat, BTW. Very kind of you. I think I'm through it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gobsh**e - I love that word, and the look on the faces of colleagues when it's used (we have a very international department, and any type of weird slang gets interesting reactions).

    Glad your over the bump.

    Stace

    ReplyDelete
  4. > Gobsh*te

    LOL. Perhaps best said in the style of Father Jack too? :-)

    ReplyDelete