Friday, February 25, 2011

"Sleep is not my friend"

Hi,

If there was one underlying thread this week, I guess it would be tiredness. I don't think it's a lack of sleep per say, moreover, the lack of the right type of sleep. I never said I wasn't a fussy so-and-so. :-) While my cat powers allow me to sleep pretty much anytime and anywhere, I guess a full night's sleep without the audio terrorism by snoring's causing would be helpful. :-) Maybe I should be going to bed earlier, but there is only so much time in the evening and I guess I'm guilty of burning the proverbial candle late into the midnight oil.... or something like that ;-)

So, Chams this week and a party night at that. I have been looking at getting the group a small stereo, but the prices were a little steep for what we wanted. In the end, I borrowed some PC speakers and they seemed to do the job nicely. It'll save Sandi from having to lug her rather nice home stereo system to and from the venue. Borrowed speakers, so no cost to the group and small enough to be stashed away at the end of the night. Not that I was really up for dancing the night away. That was nothing to do with being a bit bunged up with cold, but more from the plate full of tasty Chinese food I had.

Image-wise I'd gone for the pink summer dress I got last year (maybe the year before?) and a black cardy to keep the chills out. Not that should have really, it was rather warm given a February. Normally it would be a case of black opaques, but I thought I'd risk layering up and going sheer as way of a change. Being a party, I'd risked the false eyelashes, but I think they'd seen better days. The wig was a bit of a talking point, but not in a bad way. I think with anyone changing their image such, people notice - especially women and trannys - and polite comment was passed. Gayna suggested it was a touch Mary Portas (LOL) - oh to have her wardrobe budget. :-)

The turnout was good and we had a number of new folk pop along: three in all I reckon. Some from just down the road and others much further afield. While making a coffee, Rebecca was saying how she heard how different things were in the 50s/60s. Apparently there was a shop somewhere in Hyson Green (an inner city district of Nottingham) that was trans-friendly. By word of mouth / letters (yes, pre-Internet wiz kids!), there would be a monthly meeting where trans folk would travel from miles around to get there. I guess - and given that being gay was a criminal offence back then in the UK - I bet everything was very hush-hush. How things have changed, trans folk can walk down the high street (well, pretty much), there's Sparkle, nightclubs and Joe Public - give or take the odd twit - isn't bothered. Hell, we're almost acceptable.... almost ;-)

Not sure if this'll make a regular appearance, but the iGoogle app on Spanish decided to share the following with me. Useful for trips aboard shopping perchance? :-) That reminds me, I lent Maddie a belt to go with her fabby dress... and the minx has run off with it! Trannys eh? ;-)

Take care,
Lynn

[ Today's Lyric: Shampain* by Marina & The Diamonds.... and yes, I'm aware of the mispelling ;-) Oh and do Google for the video if you want. It's rather good IMO ]

7 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn!!! Sorry realised about the belt after my lovely drive home (my good lady was still up but that's another story) . I'll return it humbly and in impeccable condition next week... (thanks though it finished off the outfit!). Maddy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone whose grown up in the internet age I find it hard to imagine how such meets were arranged and yet they were back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Eeeee I remember, back in 't day, before thee all had them modem thingummies, and computers took up a whole desk in t' back room at 'ome...

    We transfolk relied on word of mouth, contact magazines & all kinds o shenanigans just to git together with alike folks."...

    Heheh. Those were the days. I can just about remember life before the internet. I think as far as my little community in Newcastle was concerned we were all a tight knit bunch - almost even (eeek) a sisterhood :-O It's a far cry from how things are now IMHO.

    Hey, some PC speakers aren't bad for music playback - they're certainly a lot cheaper than 'proper' amplified speakers any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Devine Ms F: No worries, Maddy. It had been languishing in the lower reaches of my bag. Nice to see it given a lease of life. I'd hang on to it if I were you. ;-)

    Lucy: I think Exchange & Mart had a lot to do with it. I remember reading a copy as a teenager - I think I was after some cheap computer bits (nerd!) - and double taked I saw the back pages with all the tranny stuff. Still, it was more 'services' if you catch my drift. I think back in the day (!!), TV/TS ran a news letter that listed clubs and friendly establishments (clothing, wigs, etc).

    Justine: LOL Analytical engines! Brass 'un cogs. Proper computing. None of that silicon larkery! :-)

    The speakers were pretty good - even if very old. It's not like the hall has fantastic acoustics and when you're playing MP3s, they're fine. Just so long as they are loud enough to drown out the clatter of heels and iffy Karoke. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW re the sleep issue, I'm right there with you.

    For what it's worth I don't think there's anything wrong with going to bed when you feel ready to. Some nights I'd happily take to my bed as soon as Tom's in his cot.

    So far I've resigned to the fact it's something every family has to deal with. There are never enough hours in the day & parents are almost invariably tired all the time. That's my story & I'm sticking to it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I remember being puzzled by the small ads. All those folk with GSOH and TV personalities. 8-)
    Never understood what it was at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Justine: While it might not be rock & roll to have an early night, I kinda don't care :-D I guess I could say I was having a Disco Nap, but I seem to be missing out the disco bit :-) As to kids + parents - sleep when you can! :-D

    Penny: Hi Mrs! I thinking in being TV, you need a GSOH :-)

    ReplyDelete