Friday, December 10, 2010

"So looking for answers if only one,
Turn my back the urge has gone."

Hey folks,

I look at the white space of the input form and lots of ideas flit around my head. Trouble is, holding on to one long enough to get it out and on to paper. :-) The snow seems on the way out as the weather just about returns to normal. Not more icy windscreens and life-in-your-hands walks along the pavement. Well, at least until the next big snowfall :-)

This week was shorter - work-wise - than usual because I had a few days off. One to look after Wee Man as he wasn't 100% bless him. He - and then us (natch) - got hit by the heavy cold that's doing the rounds at the mo. Still, it was only a 2 - 3 day thing and he's over it now. The day after that, off for some Christmas shopping to make sure I've got enough for the Ever Lovely Mrs Jones. I think I'm just about there on that front. I also managed to grab Maddy some bangles from Outfit. A bargain at only a fiver. Sadly, they were not the silvery ones I said I'd get, but they seemed to go down well enough. A collection of various patterns/colours to mix & match with an outfit.

I had an interesting email come in the other week. Something from Parentchannel.tv asking to look at what they are up to and then to hold off until the big launch of National Dad Week (this week in fact). I guess it was fairly automated, but I wouldn't say it was spam. Apart from that being rude, it's also inaccurate. I've had a look at the site and it seems all about advice (in a good way). The campaign is about getting Dad's involved with looking after the nippers. There's that old chestnut about trannys being who they are because of a distant father. Not sure I buy that. Personally, my money is on how your brain is formed in the womb. I think I posted about that much earlier. Anyways! I don't know if it's a personal thing or a tranny thing, but I do like time with the kids. Funny, anecdotally, or to put it another way "with no scientific basis at all" (LOL), I hear from trans friends that somehow they seem to get this role. Sometimes as the dad, or other times as comedy uncle who is good for a laugh. What truth there is in any of that, I wouldn't like to say, but if you've got a view on that, I'd love to hear it. Anyway, the site has some interesting videos on there and it's not like they give you a manual when it comes to bringing up nippers. ;-)

In other news, it was time for Chameleons once again. This time though, I didn't take any of my fancy outfits. Oh and before you reach for the back button, I didn't go in the nuddy either. That would be far too scary. :-) No, I think it was a combination of being busy (shops, kid care, groceries) and having shaken off a cold, that I found myself thinking: Meh. I went along anyway - certainly to catch up with friends and to help set up. I thought long and hard about outfits, but no, the pull just wasn't there. To be honest, it was rather nice not having to hurry home to get a close shave, bung the bags in the car and go through the motions of all on / all off at the start/end of the night. Instead, I sat around and had a good long natter with friends until it was time to pack up. The evening was pretty quite, but a better word might be intimate. Just a group of friends clustered around, enjoying mince pies (yum!), good conversation and lots of banter.

I did take my camera along - as Sophie was sporting her new boots - to do the honours, but those snaps won't be on here. That wouldn't be fair really. That reminds me, we had a new girl come along (Ruth) and it was her first time out. Hopefully we didn't weird her out too much and I'll post on the forum about passing the snap along. Photos done and everything packaged away, I waited for Alison to get changed before dropping her off. She'd chanced taking the bus and as it's not too far out of my way, it would be rude not to offer a lift.

All good really! Oh, one last thing - as Colombo might say - I'm off to see the quack this Monday and I guess it'll be interesting to see what he has to say about the pill situation. Just the other day, Mrs Jones was saying that I was back to my old self. I must say, it's a good place to be and the big drive to dressing lots and lots has faded away as I've mellowed. Fingers crossed it stays like this.

Take care,
Lynn
x

[ Today's lyric: The Island, Part One by Pendulum ]

8 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn,
    good to see you last night. Glad youre ok, I was a little worried something may have happened when you were in 'stealth mode'.
    Felt a bit guilty being glamed up and you not.
    Hope we didnt make your face hurt too much with all that hilarity.
    Think it must be the first year that I've done most of my christmas shopping as Sophie. Must say, it felt good to be 'me' for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie: Hi. I did have a bit of face ache later on, but I think the cold wiped that out :-)

    Nothing was wrong, just a bit rushed and in a 'take it or leave it' mood really. How odd! ;-) As to stealth mode, you'd have thought I'd have picked a better disguise :-D

    Top news on the shopping. Something for you, something for the family. I hope your feet survived! Oh and please don't feel guilty about being glammed up - loved the outfit BTW and the photos are on their way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lynn,

    Sorry to hear that you and yours have been feeling a bit down - from what I have seen with my niece and nephews it's really not fun for them is it?

    On the bright side I'm glad to hear that you are still doing well!

    Stace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stace: Hiya. I think Wee Man and Mrs J got hit the hardest. Both had a day off as neither of them were fit for school / work. Like Little Miss, I think I dodged the worst of it - which means I have to play nurse.... and not in a kinky way! :)

    Yay for bright sides. I hope things are picking up for you too

    Lynn
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's that old chestnut about trannys being who they are because of a distant father. Not sure I buy that. Personally, my money is on how your brain is formed in the womb.

    Same here - Occam's Razor and all of that. Besides, the thing I don't like about the above-mentioned chestnut is that it tends to assume that there's something wrong with being trans, which I've never felt there is, certainly not in my own case.

    I think I posted about that much earlier. Anyways! I don't know if it's a personal thing or a tranny thing, but I do like time with the kids. Funny, anecdotally, or to put it another way "with no scientific basis at all" (LOL), I hear from trans friends that somehow they seem to get this role. Sometimes as the dad, or other times as comedy uncle who is good for a laugh. What truth there is in any of that, I wouldn't like to say, but if you've got a view on that, I'd love to hear it.

    This doesn't surprise me, actually. I think both things may have a common cause eg naturally lower testosterone levels or a feminized brain, which could manifest itself in "feminine" things like nurturing tendencies and a fondness for women's clothing. Funnily enough, I've had a lot of people tell me over the years that they think I'd be a good father myself. One of the most recent people to do so was a sweet woman at work who said she thought I'd have "cute kids" if I ever had any myself. When I asked her what made her think that, she said that it was because she thought I was a generally nice person. Of course, I immediately responded with a heap of bluster and BS about how I'd be a terrible father, as I'd sell my children into slavery the instant any of them gave me any trouble, but I was secretly flattered by what she said, as well as her reasons for saying it (I'd been going through a period where I'd been quite unpleasant to a lot of the people I work with, and wasn't too proud of it). I still can't see it happening, though, as I like my solitude too much. Oh well, I'll just have to be content with being an uncle, if that ever happens. I've a couple of younger brothers who always seem to be in relationships, and I keep telling at least one of them to have some kids, so I can be someone's creepy uncle!

    Anyway, the site has some interesting videos on there and it's not like they give you a manual when it comes to bringing up nippers. ;-)

    Sheesh, given how long our species has been around and popping out kids, you'd think someone would have figured out this whole childraising business by now, wouldn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zosimus: Hi there. Long no see? I hope you're doing well!

    I think I get what you mean about the 'distant dad' vibe. Personally, I don't read it as wrong... possibly because I think being trans is a birth/genetic thing. Maybe that makes me blind to it, I don't know. For the record - and by no means does one person make a case study - one of my old school mates, his dad died when he was young.... yet while junior grew up in a house comprised of his nan and mum, he was very much Jack the Lad.

    Top job on the 'good dad' compliment, but yeah, I think there's a tendancy to try and dodge the kind words through embarrasment - I know I have to fight doing that. ;-) I think being a tranny is so much more than clothes. I does go right through you and being caring/nuturing, is that a bad trait in a man? :)

    Yeah, parental advice. You read a few books, listen to friends and really the only quality advice I can offer is this: trust in yourself and be prepared to improvise :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Distant fathers is one of the reasons given i've heard of as well, the mother gets their share of flack as well. In my opinion, its all quackery in the same way banning all that "namby-pamby stuff stiff-upper-lip etc, etc..." will produce a gender conforming non trans individual.

    All my sibling's are now parents and all bar one are still young enough to be happy with just a few rounds of peek-a-boo. Not sure what kind of aunt that makes me yet.

    Glad youre feeling ok :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucy: "Quakery" LOL

    Nothing wrong with peek-a-boo, small nippers don't seem to get tired of that. Bless 'em.

    ReplyDelete