Friday, September 24, 2010

"I'll escape if I try hard enough,
Till King of the Jungle calls my bluff."

Hiya,

This week's post comes from the top of a proverbial hill. The view's rather good and the weather's holding out: neither chilly nor too hot. Through some low cloud I can see, well, mostly. Some of the sky is dark and scary, but most seems a bit misty with bolts of blue if you look long enough. If I concentrate, I can see the path ahead. Sure, it's a bit patchy or rocky in places and there's a few forks here and there where the way's not so clear. But, I'm on the level - no longer slogging to get up the slope and I seem to be the dank of closely packed trees. If I stop and look, I can see that it's not just me that's been walking along here. Sometimes there are other sets of footprint, people who've helped me keep going. All stuff to be thankful for eh? :-) Talking of thanks, cheers to those of you who emailed or commented wishing me a happy birthday. It was very much appreciated.

So, dodgy fictional references aside, what else has been going on? Well, I saw the doctor this week and we had a chat about the ups and downs of the last few months. He reiterated that it would be a slow progress out of that routine, but I guess I'm just impatient. I think after a month or so - I think it's that long - I would expect things to have settled down more. Anyway, that aside, I'm up from 20mg to a slightly higher dose of 30mg a day. That started on Tuesday so I guess it's too early to tell, but Mrs J has said I seem calmer and less withdrawn.

It was time for Chams this week and I had my usual indecision over what to wear. I mean, Monday, it was lovely and sunny: so something floaty and leggings? Then Tuesday it was rather cold and I started thinking about boots & skinny jeans. So, I did what I normally do and I packed two outfits: a skirt, two tops, a dress and some jeggings. I also took in a pair of shoes I'd promised Alison (they are a touch too large for me) and then boots + heels for me.

Bag sorted out, I made my way up to Chameleons. I arrived early to set out the tables, but that was a non-starter because someone had locked the bar area. Well, I say bar, but there's no pumps or optics. So much for the idea of a tranny bar maid eh? ;-)

I decided to leave it and see if anyone else had the door codes. Pat was the next person in and then Alison. Unusually I stuck with my first choice of outfit - skirt, top, heels - and headed downstairs after doing my nails. Tracey and Sandy where back in as they'd come back off holiday. The tykes sprung a surprise on me by buying my a present for my birthday! That was an unexpected surprise (thanks you two!). The card was a lovely touch and very apt.
The evening rolled on and became quite busy. We had some new visitors, a lovely couple from Lincolnshire way (Ed: for our American readers, that's a trip of about an hour), and I tried to make them feel welcome, rather than them be left sat on their own in a corner. I think that's one of the best things about the group: it is friendly without being in your face and you can get involved as much as you do or don't want to. Plus we have a number of regulars, so there's not the problem of feeling like a stranger each week.

I had a chat with Tracey about her & Sandi's holiday and also over upcoming events. With it being darker nights, we get more visitors, so we also do more as a group. Sure, the summer is nice, but with the warm weather and the light evenings, membership turnout is generally lower. As there's a gap in the meeting schedule, Tracey's thinking of a meal out soon. There's two parties on the cards and I finally got my act together over calling Boots. They now have a list of dates from us and the Beauty Manager is sorting out when we could have another visit. No dice on the call from Avon at the mo, but we'll see I guess.

With regards to the party, we decided to have a change from the Chinese take-away option and go for a buffet. This'll mean a few folk bringing items in. I didn't hear the word until I moved to Notts, but locals say a 'fuddle'. Rather than have Sandy take the strain, I tottered around with a list and took the names of volunteers with what they were planning to bring. I bring my lappy along too, so we should be sorted for a few tunes.

Tanya's hen/stag do - well, perhaps 'sten' would be better as it's an en femme outing and abouting. We joked about a 'hag night' but that sounds a bit rude and would totally set the wrong tone. Then there's the risk of it all going a little too Macbeth. When shall we three meet again!? :-) I hope she has a good one. I'm busy with family stuff Saturday, but I'm sorted for the Big Night Out in October. Just a case of swapping mobile numbers with the necessary parties and making sure I turn up in the right place. I guess the only question with that is: what to wear? ;-)

Take care,
Lynn
x

[ Today's lyric: Mowgli's Road by Marina & The Diamonds ]

11 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday you young thing. Delighted to know that things are turning well for you.

    Smashing outfit, love the necklace :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Petra: Thanks for the birthday wishes and the kind words about the outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gefeliciteerd! A bit late :)

    And as Petra said, smashing outfit.

    Stace

    BTW Fuddle? I know fuddle from Leicester as in fuddling something together (not totally sure, but I think it kind of means bodge), but I'd never heard of it being applied to a buffet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stace: Dank je wel. At least, I hope that's right and I've not just said something really wude. :-)

    Outfit? Thanks, mrs. I lost a bit of weight this year, so I could get into that skirt. I felt the top was a bit long, but in for a penny eh? :-)

    I've not heard 'fuddling' about with something... well, TBH, I'd not heard the word at all and I'm only 40 miles along the road from my home village. Oh the joys of English slang! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. A hag night sounds like an attractive concept. A modern take on the hen night theme...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess: Eye of newt, wing of bat, too much fake tan... yes, it sounds like a typical night out in Nottm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to see you looking radiant the other night at Notts Chams. A perfectly sophisticated flirty outfit!

    Sometimes the best hills are those surrounded in mist after a long approach march and a challenging climb but offer no view from the summit. You can't see the dangerous crags that spell disater but you can at least descend relaxed to moderate altitudes and contemplaint all you have achieved. And then the mellow evening sun appears to reveal the glorious summit. Keep climbing.

    Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rebecca: Hello and welcome to the mad house ;-) Thanks for the kind words about the outfit. I saw you swish in the other night and you looked suitably glam as per.

    Mist, yes. A brief roll from the clouds to offer a short view of what might be. As they say, keep on trucking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A hag night sounds very appealing and would be quite seasonal at the moment.
    Hope you're still enjoying those hill views :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucy: Maybe we should start a new trend? Bridezillas and pumpkin lanterns? :)

    ReplyDelete