Friday, March 12, 2010

"Yes the universal's here,
Here for everyone..."

Hi folks,

Crikey. Where to start? It's been one of those odd few days were both nothing and everything seems to have happened. Does that make it a quantum effect or more that I'm just confused? Let's move on! :)

It was time for a meeting with the Chameleons Group t'other night. The Centre's doors have been changed as part of the renovation work and for a short time, we were locked out. Luckily some of the Centre's other tenants were kind enough to let us in... at least they did when I knocked loudly on the fire escape door. Maybe we need a key for the group? Something to email the site managers over I guess. Following on from the theme with bright tights, I wore my new skater dress. Shorter than I'd normally wear, yes, but very comfy. Plus, you've got to push against your comfort zone sometimes :)

Rumour had it that we were due a visit from a local branch of Hot Hair. But, for whatever reason, that didn't come to pass. Instead we had a pleasant evening of chat. Swapped a few silly stories and generally had a very good time. Perhaps not the pounding high energy discotastic nights of other times, but after a busy week, I was glad of a sit down and to catch up with friends really.

Self described regular irregular Rebecca popped in to say hello. During a chat in the kitchen about childhood camping holiday, she glibly asked the IT contingent, what did we do before the Internet? Well, for one, I read a lot more and I think I watched more TV back then. Now I seem to write more, read a little bit less and skip on the telly watching.

Talking of the t'interwebs, the BBC are doing a piece on the Net and how it affects our lives. I think I may have mentioned this previously. Maybe I need Google for my brain or something :) Anyways, there's been a few reports and shows about the history of the web and whatnot. There's also a few on-line articles about the growth and - for me at least - the social effects of it. Just last week there was a news item about how important people felt Internet access was.

A recent article also listed how important people consider Internet access to be. Indeed, it's become a necessity for many. To be honest, while I think I could stop using it for a while, it would leave a very large whole in my life and to an extent, my identity. With WiFi and Mrs Jones's laptop, we have so much information within our grasp. Stuck on an actor's name? IMDB; wondering about a recipe? Google; etc. Mentioning WiFi, it seems whole cities are contemplating the idea of a public network. Sure, we'll still have to pay for high speed links, but for everyday access, I think this will really drive change hard.

It seems that for all the technology that's not at our fingertips, we use it for one key thing: communication. To state the obvious, I guess we're just a social bunch when it comes down to it. Perhaps it is somewhat ironic that people can be so connected and yet feel lonely at times. Equally, and coming back to last night's meeting of like minded souls, on-line friendship is one thing, but actually meeting and having friends in the real world feels more rewarding. Don't get me wrong, I do like an email, blog comment or Facebook update to see how friends and family are getting on.... I just don't think I'd want to live in a bubble (so to speak) where that was my only means of communication. I guess I'm lucky in that regard. Sure, I'm not 100% out, but neither am I completely stuck in the closet either.

It's funny in that I'm friends we people I've never met in the real world. I exchange emails, as no doubt you do too, with individuals I'm unlikely to ever meet. Yet I know them as well as I do my friends in real life. Modern life eh?

Take care,
Lynn

[ Today's lyric: The Universal by Blur ]

9 comments:

  1. I know that I would much rather meet friends face to face, but without the net I wouldnt have met most of them. You and I wouldnt have been chatting last night for instance. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No internet? I'd be out of work for starters...

    At home we only got a connection when I had to start either working from home early in the morning, or get up even earlier to do the hour drive before I started. Since then it's been used more and more - but not 24 hours a day yet.

    Stace

    ReplyDelete
  3. First m'dear - the outfit is first rate. Never mind the length - the opaques work well. Keep pushing boundaries.

    As to the internet, could not imagine life without it, but am glad to be of an age where I grew up without it.

    I was in a government bureau a little while ago, renewing American residency, and cell phones were prohibited. 2 solid hours of being off the grid, no possibility of being called, of checking email, etc.

    And I still had the reflexes to bring a book and to enjoy reading it. It felt like a spa day.

    Here is to enjoying the best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophie: Funny that we start to meet people through the web, rather than through work and other passtimes.

    Stace: There's been times at work when the Internet link has gone down. It's surprising how much stops - at least in the IT office. Not so much, stuff stops working. But the slow down in research and systems development. It's almost like going back in time - refering to books and magazine articles :)

    Petra: Thanks, Mrs; very kind of you to say so.

    Sometimes being out of reach - from a mobile/cell point of view - is a good thing.... especially if you're enjoying a good book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too must confess to having become pathetically dependent on the Internet (for leisure only, however; I don't use it at work), although, surprisingly, I still don't have one of those newfangled mobile telephone thingumajigs all you young 'uns seem to have these days. I'm not sure why I remain such a Luddite with respect to these particular devices - it's probably just a combination of my antisocial nature, paranoid fear of running up massive phone bills on one of the infernal things should I get one, and exposure to far too many insufferable wankers who wave them around at every opportunity, evidently suffering from the delusion that anyone else remotely gives a [censored] that they actually have one. (And the mind control rays I'm sure they all emit; we mustn't forget the mind control rays!) Bah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zosimus: Luddite...

    The lack of keyboard, a small screen, vendor lock-in (some, not all), the vacantly smug stare of a cellphone stroker? :) No, I'm not a fan either. Clearly we're Old School and will be swept away in the rush that'll be Web 3.0 :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. The net is full of information especiallly for a geek like myself and entertainment. I have met friends through it some far away, others nearer to home. Sadly there is plenty of misinformation, FUD, trolls, virus' and spam for little blue pills.
    I now even have it on my mobile, so you could say i'm hooked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do sometimes wonder though - are we trapping ourselves in a dark room with a computer and enjoying the veiled pretense of social interaction. Or are our online contacts a truly uplifting and socially connecting experience.

    The jury's out for me... Though I guess a good balance of friends in 3D and those you share contemplative thoughts in writing may be healthy.

    - says she who spends way to much time on the computer as it is...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anon: Hi. Is it real or is it Memorex? :) Don't get me wrong, I like blogging and email, but they are not a subtitute for the real world. Like other technologies - telephones, mobiles, Twitter, Facebook, etc - this medium puts you in touch with other people. They are enablers, but not (IMO) replacements. With the Internet, I get to keep in touch with people I've not seen (physically) for some time - people who've moved away or who are simply too busy to catch up with for nights out or lunch.

    I think you're bang on the money about balance, tho.

    ReplyDelete