Friday, March 19, 2010

"I know Saint Peter won't call my name"

Hi folks,

The old song line - 24 little hours - rings true once again. A good night's kip and a walk in the refreshing Spring weather has helped lift a small weight from my shoulders. Nothing serious I hasten to add, just the welcome return of a slight smile instead of the troubled brow.

So, in the words of a barman talking to a horse: why the long face? :)

Iffy jokes aside, the last few days have been a bit frantic. I had a dose of flu... proper in-bed-hot-and-cold-shivery-flu... not the man flu that we blokes normally get. As in, sssh, don't tell the wife... a cold :) I was okay after about two days of resting up. I could have dosed myself up and go in to work, but really, that would just be presenteeism. I really don't think I'd have been up to scratch and worst case, I'd have been infecting the my co-workers. Besides, I got to beta test the new remote access system the night before I went back. Not a total loss then :)

Minor illness over with, the Ever Lovely Mrs Jones and I got on with the packing. We're both off to foreign climes for a wedding. Not ours, we've done that... although I think a blessing would be nice. Hmmm. Where was I? Oh yes, packing. That's done and all that remains now is the flight. I must say - otherwise this'll be a short blog post :) - that I'm less of a fan of travel that I used to be. All the rushing around, the cramped leg room and the duration of a long flight don't exactly install me with good vides. That said, I've not seen my mate for a while - can you count Facebook or Skype chats? - and he's a good friend. I feel it would be poor of me not to make the effort and go. Plus there'll be lots of cake :D

Little Miss and Wee Man are not coming with us. They're staying with family back here and I think that's at the heart of it. It's been so long since I've travel alone, or with just Mrs J, that I know I'll miss them. I did when I travelled with work to a conference a year or so ago. The bright side in that was that Mrs Jones was still at home, so they had Mum for cuddles and stories. Yes, I know Granny & Grandad will cuddle and read, but I wonder if it's a pang of loss knowing I won't.

There is also.... a tiny whisper of fear in the back of my head. The fear is this: what if we don't come back? There I've said it. The rational Spock-like part of me says - and maybe even *knows* - that flights are statistically far safer than driving... and just don't go there with the odds on being a biker. :)

But I'm not 100% rational: never have been, never will be. My worry is that if something really bad was to happen, my kids won't have us around. Maybe this sounds nuts, but it's not my death I'm worried about. I've had a few laughs, had some great times, met some good people and met a lovely lady, Mrs J. Sure, I'm not ready to leap up for Carousel - although I'm certainly old enough! :) - but I don't think I fear it. Death that is.

Larks, this is proving to me a laugh-a-minute chuckleathon isn't it? :) Funny, I don't have a Faith. I just don't get the latter. I have friends and family who do, but to me it just doesn't click in my head or in my heart. The romantic in me wants to believe there is something after death, but the cynic in me argues that that's just something we tell ourselves when the pain of loss is too great. What I will say is this: if there is nothing afterwards, it's what you do now that matters. Look after the people who are important to you. :)

(Ed: Other fortune cookie cod spirtuality is also available. :P )

Ooo, cod fortune cookie. Yuk! :)

Talking of things not clicking, I don't get Coldplay either and I've used on of their lyrics for today's post. I'm not going to diss them because with my musical taste, it's best not to get into a snob fight over which band is better. Plus I do like that particular track. If there is a God, I'm very sure He - or She possibly - has a very good sense of humour.

So you don't like that artist, eh Jones? Zzaapp Heh. Laugh that one off while you're blogging. :D

See you in two weeks.... fingers crossed ;)

Take care,
Lynn

[ Today's lyric: Viva La Vida by Coldplay ]

5 comments:

  1. Have a nice time Lynn. Where is it you are going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynn,

    I hope your excursion is fabulous, I too get those worries whenever I travel by air. You'll be fine and don't forget to enjoy your amazing wife and the moments at the wedding. Cheers!!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit that, like you, I'm no longer a big fan of travel. To me, flying isn't that much different from taking the bus (with the added negative of having one's eardrums "pop" near the end of the journey), and most of the time, I find myself getting terribly bored wherever it is I go (the one big exception to this would be a trip I made to the States some years back, which I'm always glad I made).

    As for death, I won't lie and say that I'm not scared of it myself, for it still leaves me petrified whenever I reflect on it too deeply. I'm in two minds about the whole Faith thing; while it may be a source of comfort for the bereaved or anyone simply contemplating his or her own mortality, the depressing thing about most religions which believe in an afterlife, I've found, is that they also believe that that afterlife is going to be unspeakably horrible for the vast majority of the human race. That said, part of me still likes to think I'll have another chance to see (in pleasant surroundings, of course!) those I've known who've passed away. Not just people either. Last year, we had to have the family cat (who'd been a part of my own life for over a third of it) put down because of terminal cancer, and it left me absolutely GUTTED (I was there when she was put to sleep, and the moment I was told she was gone, I became like one of those weeping, wailing women the news seems to love showing whenever it reports on some disaster in the Third World). You wouldn't think the death of a "mere" animal would do that to you, but it does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophie: North America... out into the sticks. A bit like where we are, only with higher mountains and bears. :)

    Stace: Thanks!

    Jessica: The wedding was wonderful. Perfect weather and seeing the expression on my friend's face as the happy couple tied the knot was worth the 8+ hours on the plane.

    Zosimus: If I can say this, - and not to take your words out of context - I agree that a pet isn't a mere animal. Our dog is currently with my Mum and the house doesn't feel right without him.

    Still, so far, so good. St Peter wasn't required and the flight - if overly long - wasn't that bad. I've had worse :D

    ReplyDelete