Saturday, January 23, 2010

"It's a crazy world but tonight's the right situation,
Let it take you there,"

Hi folks!

Two posts in a week? Gadzooks! :) I nearly said 'a double entry', but that would just be wrong wouldn't it. :D

Tonight was very much a contrast to the previous evening. Both nippers are bathed and the bedtime routine is almost done. Wee Man is curled up with the Ever Lovely Mrs Jones watching some Saturday night TV. Little Miss has had her bottle, a bedtime story and, of course, a cuddle before being tucked into bed. Those of you with a strong aversion to kids may throw up now :) All done? Let's move on... :D

Skip back 24 hours - or as they say on TV: previously on YATGB... :) - it was a very different story altogether. I was stepping out from a friend's house fully preened and presentable: well, near as damn it for a tranny. Dancing shoes, that pink party dress and my lace cardie from yesteryear. Our heels echoed off the narrow street as we go into the car and made our way to the Angel's 10th Anniversary do down in Milton Keynes.

Somehow the plans all came together (Ed: feel free to indulge in an A-team quote here if you wish) and despite making just the one wrong turn, Alison and I made it to the hotel opposite Pink Punters. The bar area was fairly busy with trans folk and we spotted Gayna (another member of the Chameleons Massive). Drinks in hand - water for the driver - we mingled a bit and said hello to a few new and a few familiar faces. Fellow bloggers included Clarissa and Helena - both in top outfits - and also a few people who's names have begun to blur. The faces (and smiles) are still in my memory, but the names are on the wane. :(

[ Update: Emma and Louise :) Emma has posted a few snaps of the evening. ]

On the way over to Pink Punters, I bumped into Lucy and given the rain - and that I had to move the car to another car park - offered her a lift. We all made into the nightclub and man, was it loud. I thought Rock City was loud, but I was glad of the earplugs I picked up at the entrance. (Ed: spot the ex-biker). We wandered around and - mais oui - I had a dance pretty much straight away. Downstairs was very smokey and seemed heavy techno; middle area more pop and upstairs a bar/chill out. How you have a chill out area with a roaring fire in it, I'm not so sure, but it was quiet enough to chat.

There was a bit more dancing - Bronski Beat (I think), Lady GaGa, Katy Perry, Technotronic (!), Black Box (!!) etc - and after more chat, I spotted Becky and stopped to say hello (and pass on congrats on family life). Jo was also passing through, so I said a quick hi and thanks. I think Justine was around too, but we were just about to leave, so no chance for a chat.

The journey home was pretty uneventful - although we did need to stop for a comfort break. I'm not sure the punters at Forest East were expecting two 6ft trannys to walk in bold as brass. One bloke looked agog. I couldn't resist: 'Evening' I rumbled at him and gave him a nod. He grinned, repeated the same and strolled on.

Finally back in Nottingham, I got changed and I crawled into bed some time after 2ish. Funny, in my early 20s, a weekend wouldn't be a weekend without seeing the wee hours of Saturday or Sunday morning. Now late 30s, I'm happy to see just the one version of 2 o'clock. :)

All in all, a great night out and a lot of fun. So nice to meet up with people and to show some face and support for the anniversary. I don't post much on Angels - well, any trans forums really - but I think it remains a hub and even a 'rock' in our little community. I remember visiting it back in the days of dial-up - pre 56k at that! - and reading the news, seeing piccies and reading articles from people. Geez, pre-Web 2.0 as well. How things change eh?

Ten years ago I wasn't out. I wasn't yet 30 something and with regards to my understanding of my own tranny-ness, I was very far from sorted. The thing is, sites like the Angels helped. They stop you feeling that there's just you and with forums / chat, you get to talk with people like yourself... and if you're lucky, made a few friends along the way.

Take care,
Lynn
x

[ Today's lyric: Don't Stop Moving by S Club 7 ]

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time (even with stopping in Leicester - impressive ;p )

    I have to say, early 30's (OK almost mid) and I agree with the one versin of 2am...

    Stace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stace: I did, thank you, as it was a very good night out. Certainly worth all the worry over planning.

    Yeah, Leicester. Well, it was the M1 and also the wee hours, so not too much of a biggie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your writing, Lynn. Wish I was there.

    Thanks for reminding me that some of my fav bloggers of yesteryear are still alive and well.

    Calie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Calie: Thanks! What a lovely thing to say.

    I think it really was a case of 'the more, the merrier'. People are so busy and bloggers do drop off the map sometimes. :( Real life is more important I guess! :)

    The Internet is a good thing, but I think meeting up with people is still better... especially if there's dancing involved :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Justine was there Lynn, with our little group. Nice to see you. even if you did have to dash off. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sophie: You too, misses! Yeah, I did have to dash off... mainly due to the long trip back. But better that than no visit at all :D

    I did catch sight of Justine, but not really long enough to talk to. How do you say "I love your blog" without sounding like a stalker? :)

    Are you out and about this Thursday BTW?

    ReplyDelete
  7. by sheer chance the parents have re-arranged for friday. So if youre going I will toddle along. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sophie: Yay. I'll be there too. I wonder if Hot Hair will be about?

    ReplyDelete
  9. There'll be other times I'm sure Lynn. Sparkle, maybe?

    I remember when I could stay out until it was getting light, have a brief kip & then be ready to do it all again. No more, I'm afraid. One late night out & I'm still feeling it several days later. I always used to think getting older was about losing the will to party. Now I *am* older I know it's not about lack of willing ;-) God help me if I ever finish before 3am though, even if I *have* been awake since 6am :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Justine: With a bit of luck, maybes :) It is, however, the Jones Massive birthday season, so the summer is somewhat busy. Still, never say never. :)

    A kip and a bottle of coke and we were good to go. Where did all that energy go to? The spirit is willing, but the body is slightly inflated and knackered :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not sure how you have a chill out area with a roaring fire in it but I'm glad it was there to keep me warm. Glad to meet finally.

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucy: Yes, that does seem rather at odds :) It was good to meet up and have a chat. I can now put a voice to the blog posts :)

    ReplyDelete