Friday, September 18, 2009

"Time is a distance that you can't retrack by miles..."

Hi everyone,


Good week so far? I hope so. It's not been a bad one at my end. By the time you read this, I'll be on my way to being another year older. Crikey. The Big Four Oh is closer than the slightly smaller Three Oh, but it's better than the alternative! :-) Besides, I hear life begins at 40, so I've a few years to try and find out what that means. Well, unless any of you know in which case that'd save me some legwork. :-)

Birthdays, they're a funny old things. I like the quiet ones. Just me, the kids and the Ever Lovely Mrs Jones. Like my Dad said about Christmas, it's not so much the presents - although don't get me wrong, a gift is lovely to give or receive - it's as much about the company and having a good time together.


With regards to age, I look in the mirror and I've noticed the gradual drift of time. A little less hair on top of my head; a few more wrinkles around the eyes. But it doesn't matter, not really. Make-up's wonderful stuff and I keep my hair very short these days. I had it long, down to my waist, when I was in my 20s, but I grew tired of looking after it and so it had to go. I don't miss it though. Funny, because in my youth I was dead against getting it cut short. Funny how we change eh? It felt so important at the time, but now, I don't think about it. In fact, the last time I wore a long wig, I had a
dress with a low cut back. The feeling of it against my skin took me way back. Memories eh? :)

Talking of memories, the other day I found an old USB pen and I found a stash of old photos on it. They were all tranny related - of yours truly - and, no, I won't be sharing these ones. Some are from when I started dressing up (well, in my 20s, not as a kid). I won't profess to being a stylish Fashionista, but I'd like to think my dress sense has come on a little since I started. On the other hand, though, maybe I should share the snaps because it shows that we all gotta start someplace. Passing? Heh. Dream on! :-)


Deciding what to wear, that's one of my main struggles. I look in the magazines, what other women are wearing or what's in shop windows. I even look at those 'style sites' - MyShape.com, Hi Fashion or Carolyn Franklyn's blog (Ed: The Clothes Show anyone?) - for ideas. Not just ideas for what to wear, but ideas for what - I hope - will suit me. I mean last week, I posted about the miniskirt. I know women my age - late 30s - do wear them (with opaques, natch) and they can look good. I suppose my worry is that I don't want to look silly. Funny, though, it's not just me, otherwise there wouldn't be any make-over and style sites would there? :-)

To be honest with you, my age...? It's just a number. Physically, I still feel the same inside -albeit a bit slower - as I did in my 20s. In my head, sure I have the odd dip (don't we all?) but I feel a lot more comfortable in myself. Funny, as a teenager the idea of being in my 30s was daunting - terrifying almost. Would I be on my own or married? Would I have any kids? Would I be employed? Hell, at one point: would I be male? But I'm all of those now... or still in one case... and you know what: life's good.

On that happy note, I wish you a pleasant weekend.

Take care
Lynn
x

[ Today's lyric: Don't Call Me Baby by Voice of the Beehive ]

16 comments:

  1. Well then Lynn, you graceful young things... a very happy birthday wished your way.

    Having a few more pirouttes 'round the sun under my padded girdle, I can assure you that the impact of each one is less daunting. They go faster yes, but the odometer turns lose their threat.

    You may also find when looking at friends who do not have a femme side that they are aging faster than you. Trannying keeps us all young. This is one part of our lives that we really are still teenagers when it comes down to it, and you can leverage that feeling of youth in the rest of your life too.

    Many happy returns! xoxo - Petra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Petra: Thanks! It was a top day all in all. Age is just a number, it's what's in your head (and heart?) that keeps you young. :)

    As to non-trans folk aging faster, well... they will insist on not using sunblock or moisturiser! Wry comments aside, my skin does feel a lot softer after an evening in make-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes for a happy birthday Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophie: Thanks! So you're another person in the Notts/Leics void then? :)

    Chrissie: Cheers me dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What can I say other than Gefeliciteerd! (Excuse the good chance that I've spelt that wrong :) )

    I was terrified of Thirty. That came and went a little over three years ago and I have to say it wasn't as bad as I thought. The coming big ones... I am not worried about... Yet.

    As for comments about moisturiser and healthy living. Even though no one in the office knows about Stacy, a number of the guys do have ago about the hand creme and other products I use. I ignore them :)

    And one last thing... Another Leicester gal here. Or at least was 10 years ago before I left for countries new.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stace: Thanks for the congrats and yes I did have to look it up. I only speak English and Midlander. :)

    30 was okay, I think it was 25 that threw me more.

    Another Leicester girl? LOL. The East Mids seems to becoming the tranny capital of the UK :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...In the notts leics void.
    Yep that I am. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello, I'm new round here. just thought I'd say a belated happy birthday too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sophie: Not too far for a trip to Chameleons then? The next meeting is this Thursday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. S: Thanks and welcome to the nut house :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheers for the welcome, Lynn! I'm glad to have found your blog. I expect I'll be chipping in with comments every now and then :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A belated happy birthday, Lynne! :-)

    Yeah, the East Midlands does seem to have a lot of trannies! :-) (Of course, I shouldn't use that word... :-) )

    Passed the Four-oh awhile back; it wasn't so bad. Four-one was worse... :-D

    Just thought I'd give some encouragement... :-) (With encouragement like that, who needs Reality TV?) :-D

    Carolyn Ann

    ReplyDelete
  13. Age is definitely something overrated, it's all about how you feel inside.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carolyn: No wonder the rag trade does so well around here then :)

    Lucy: Thanks chuck!

    Jessica: Spot on. It's just a number... sadly, I often forget the number and need to work it out :)

    ReplyDelete