Friday, September 25, 2009

"The kids are grown up but their lives are worn"

Hey folks,

Larks, unusually for me I've left today's blog entry to the last minute. In the last few months I've been writing ahead of myself during the week (if that makes sense), so I've got something ready for Friday night. This week? Well, I've just been up to this & that and with a lack of anything to get off my chest, ummm, it's a bit quiet :-) Still, quiet is good neh? The old cliche about 'interesting times' aside, quiet can't be over-rated some days.

A little slow time can be good. It gives you space to catch up with things you've been meaning to do. It also lets you look back and take stock of where you are. Not that I'm overly-analytical. :-)

This week was Chameleons again and after pondering what outfit to wear, I settled on a simple white fitted shirt and that pink skirt (from the photo shoot). I'd taken along my skinnies and a hippy style top in case it didn't work out. I bumped into Alison while I was sorting out my nails. I'd picked up a matte grey shade (supposedly all the rage) but I'm not 100% sure on that. Maybe that'll make it's way on to the next bring & buy sale we have. While chatting I offered to do Alison's nails: I'm not sure why, just a spur of the moment thing.

Once downstairs I said hello and I'd brought some herbal tea bags along. I've been off caffeine for a while (Ed: is it possible to be on caffeine?) and it was a nice change to have a large cup of tea, rather than my usual glass of water. Talking of drinks leads me to food, I've been out walking most lunch times and that extra inch around my middle seems to have departed for the winter months. Phew! Just in time for the big party at Chams next time too. Hurray! :-)

There was also a new face along that night. A young lady called Nicola and I had a good long chat with her. She'd come from a town just up the road and like most folk who walk through the door, was (understandably) nervous. Lots of folk are, I know I had the shakes as I drew up all those years ago. Crikey, it's been.... hold on while I use my fingers... I think nearly 5 years.

On another note - and as you may have read in other trans blogs, The Sun ran another story about a young trans child. Young as in pre-teens. Needless to say, it wasn't in a hugely positive light, but one bit did jump out at me. It's this:
But James Caspian, who counsels people on gender issues, said: “People
should not be surprised that a child so young has these feelings. What is more
of a surprise is that the child has been able to express them openly and that
because of changes in society those around the child have been so
supportive.”

It's the last part that... what?... Okay I'll say it: gives me hope for the kids who feel like this. Hell, I'm just a tranny and for 99% of the time, I'm happy as a guy. I know there are some of us in the trans community who are not: for them, full time is the only option because that's how they feel inside. I can say that as a teenager, and probably for a small proportion of my early 20s, I struggled with coming to terms over who I was. Yet I had the luxury of being okay over being a chap. Sure, I wasn't keen on the whole massive jaw and hairy pins situation, but you can't have it all can you. :-)

Take care,
Lynn
x

[ Today's lyric: The Kids Aren't Alright by The Offspring ]

9 comments:

  1. "...because of changes in society those around the child have been so supportive."

    I haven't seen too many of these changes first hand, but maybe that's because of the generally conservative area in which I live. I certainly wish I got some support years ago when I was struggling with this... and that fateful day when my mother busted me as a kid! Oh well. At least the next generation will (hopefully) not have such a hard time with it as I and many others did.

    I know society is evolving, but it's going ever so slow. Would like to enjoy that evolution before I'm too much older, personally. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the world is changing more and more.

    Live out loud!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gabrielle: I think society's like this huge, dinosaur-like beast. Slow to react (yet easily spooked by the new) and it keeps on plodding forward. :)

    I'm afraid that certain parts of the world do take a long time to catch up with 'civilisation' and there'll always be people who won't try to understand. You know, idiots :)

    T.C.G: It is... and seemingly at an ever increasing rate. Let's hope it goes in the right direction. Well, not right, but in a favourable and accepting direction. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that with all I have read (on Blogs and new sites) that line is the by far the best. Maybe there is hope for mankind...

    And I can match you on the grey nails. Online mines rubber paint from the new bathroom I'm (still) fitting :) (And I prefer red to be honest ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stace: I hope so too :) Realistically, the paper is The Sun and it's not reknown for being a bastion of political correctness or champion of those outside its target demographic. :)

    Do you do bathrooms? Any chance of a quote? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Sun putting in a sentence that was balanced. Ice skates to get to work down below tomorrow then :)

    As for the bathrooms... I really, really do not do them. But as my brother does and he came over to fit this one, I am trying to help where it's not going to affect the final finish :) Tanking the shower cubicle is nicely hidden so I can get away with it.

    As for the quote... I'm sure he'd be happy to gice you one (depending on where on the Leics / Notts border you are); but some cover story is needed as he doesn't know Stacy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is something that I ponder from time to time, that as crossdressers we have a certain luxury not afforded to those who wish to live full time as women. We can camoflauge ourselves behind our outward male appearance meanwhile nobody is the wiser. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stace: LOL. Aye, and be wary of porcine air travel units too :)

    Fancy passing me his card when you're up at Chams? :D

    Jessica: Thanks, very kind of you to say so. I think that because we get to dip our toes - so to speak - that the 'TG revolution' will be a long and slow process. I don't think it'll be as in Society's face as the race, feminist or gay movements were.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Given the censorous and sensational coverage work still needs to be done.

    ReplyDelete