Friday, October 02, 2009

"I got sunshine, in a bag"

Howdy folks,

A case of so far so good this week. A couple of items in the media and some good news on the Chameleons front.

Regular readers may know - assuming I did remember to blog about it (Ed: uh-oh, dippy moment ahoy!) - that I dropped Boots an email about their make up services. Well, thanks to a lucky gap in my packed work calendar (!) and rather than play telephone tag, I dropped into to branch in question as the whole email thing wasn't working for either party. Sometimes I swear technology eats your messages rather than deliverying them! :-) So we've got a provisional date booked (25th November).... and Boots were kind enough to offer 10% reduction on shop prices. RESULT! :-D

I also popped into New Look as I'd seen they had some bodysuits (remember them?) in stock. I popped a few in my basket and snook off to the men's department downstairs. The black one was okay, but okay was as far as it went. In the end, I put it back and headed home. I got so far to the car and got distracted by some cute looking shapewear in a department store. Again, same trick as before - a pair of blokes trousers in the basket and said item underneath. The item was a medium control body but while it felt gorgeous (and did wonders in tightening up certain curves) the cups weren't quite right. I guess that's because a) I don't have any t*ts to speak of (despite having brought my fake ones along) and b) it was multiway. A 'way' which never seems to work for me, but lessons learned eh? :-)

Which leads us back to the ever circling news story about women's clothes for men. This time around, it's the BBC and this report on mantyhose. Ack! That's an abombination of a word. :-) To be fair, it's more leggings and skirts for men. Kilts, maybes, but skirts? No and certainly not the one modelled in the video. Oddly, I do remember a micro-trend for leggings for guys in the 90s. I think that was part of the Grunge thing going on, but they were worn either with knackered jeans or long shorts. Not sure the netball skirt is a look I'll be sporting in either mode :-)

Also, last week saw the High Heel-a-thon... an event I caught sight of in the paper after it had finished. (Ed: the shame!). A day out in Leeds? In heels? For the good cause of Breast Cancer Haven *and* attendance by the lovely Kimberley Walsh (of Girls Aloud fame)! Drat and double drat :-) Oh well! Maybe next year eh?

Stay safe,
Lynn
x

[ Today's lyric: Clint Eastwood by Gorillaz ]

13 comments:

  1. I love that song "Clint Eastwood", you've inspired me to go buy it since I don't have it.

    Also, I've done the same trick in the store, grab some women's clothes and hide it under some men's clothes all the way into the dressing room :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica: It's a top tune (IMO) and the videos are wonderful. I saw some figures of the band (so to speak) the other day. Jeez, how much? For that? :)

    Yeah, the clothing stuff. Not exactly James Bond level, but funny in that 10 years ago, I'd never have risked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theres a lot of nice things in new look at the moment. Just been in there today. :o)
    Sorry I didnt make Chameleons Lynn Thurdays are usually out completely due to family, but even when the opertunity arose I just ran out of time thanks to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophie: Whatever you do, don't sign up to the Twitter feed :) So many new things! :D

    No worries about Chams! If you are planning on popping along, do check it's on that week. The schedule is twice a month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there and sorry to reappear for a 'hit and run' when I've been gone so long...

    Still: think carefully before concealing any clothing before you enter the changing area. It might imply, to an over-zealous employee, that you were intending to steal said item. The logic would be that if you're scared to try it on, you're too scared to pay for it. You were therefore trying to steal it.

    In an eyeblink, society and store security will have you pegged as what Eddie Izzard calls "A f*&%ing weird transvestite."

    Not good. Be careful; choose wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done with Boots. Whilst I have never tried their make up I have used their cleansing products a lot before I left. I thought their cucumber (sp???) cleaning milk, rinse and moisturise were great.

    As to the changing, I don't think I would have the courage for that. Thankfully I have another route for that - my wife and I are the same size (+/-) so I can get away with just asking if they can be returned. Or maybe I'm just fooling myself :) I did once buy a pair of high heels from new look, and try them before buying - again had the excuse that my ex and I had the same size feet (5 1/2).

    Over here the hiding idea wouldn't work though. No baskets and you have to show what you are taking in with you...

    Oh and I do remember bodysuits. And now I feel old :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suomy Nona: No biggie, you'll be back when you're back :)

    Concealed? Yes, well there's hidden and there's concealed. Somantics, yes, but I think there's a difference. That being between taking a pair of trousers with said stash, as opposed to hiding said stash inside the other clothes. As you say, the latter is weird and could get you into trouble.

    In terms of trying stuff on, I find that most stores - at least the ones I go to - don't seem that bothered about basket security. On the times that they have, you just got tough it out: "No, I'd like to take all of those please." :)

    Stace: Thanks, chuck! Gift receipts are a wonderful thing.

    ps: Don't feel old, just feel wiser :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Groovy (just found your site)!

    Love New Look - their shoes are a gas! When my wife buys them for me, its obvious she's not a size 8, so I wonder how it is she can tuff it out at the cash desk, and not me.

    I'm certain that the shop girls have heard it all before anyway ("Buying for the wife" indeed!) If we all had the courage to do it anyway, then it would no longer be such a deal.

    I buy sooooo much now from Asos, that I think their fabulous sales growth must be funded totally by T's. 'Cos tho' they have 1000+ dresses I never see a real gal wearing them!

    Closetta

    ReplyDelete
  9. Closetta: Hi there and welcome.

    Years ago I used to get really uptight about buying myself things. Yet, oddly, I would shop and buy items for Mrs Jones without worry. After a while the penny dropped and I don't worry about it. A gift receipt is a handy thing to ask for if you're feeling worried.

    Honestly, though, the only time I've had any funny comments - and I think the lady was really just having a joke - was when I took some underwear back. "Too tight was it, love?" she asked. I went redder than Rudolph's nose :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know I'm sure there was a beer advert in the 80's / 90's playing on that situation...

    Funny isn't how when picking something up for the wife it's not a problem but when picking it up for yourself it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stace: A beer advert? I never saw a penny of that money either! :)

    All those years ago, yes it was a bit tricky, but once you get over that hurdle, shopping's a whole lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aaah - I always did have a thing about body suits. 8-)
    After experimenting with so-called 'waist cinch' garments I realised that a body suit made a lot more sense - if only I could get the size right. Choosing the same size as my comfy bra did not work at all - going up one chest size and one cup size seemed to give a much better fit.
    You are correct about the 'multi-way' fad. The straps kept coming unhooked and the strap adjusters needed to be too far up - but these little problems can be fixed easily.
    And as you say, it certainly does help to smooth out the curves. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Penny: A size up you say? Hmmm... maybe that's the answer. Damn. Now I want to go shopping! :)

    ReplyDelete