Friday, September 11, 2009

"Are you ready boots? Start walkin'!"

Hi folks,

Not sure where to start with this entry. A lot seems to have gone on recently and it's all been a bit of a whirl. Thankfully, in a pleasant fairgroundy wheee-ooooh kinda way. That's far better than the hanging on for dear life as the 'copter takes off in an action film stylee. :)

Remember

Other than the tranny stuff, this week - in fact today - is of course September 11th. There have been a number of programmes on this week, but honestly, I didn't want to watch them. Our family wasn't affected directly by those awful events, but I do remember feeling.... what? I guess a state of shock at the time. I can't imagine what it must have been like for the families and really, I don't want to know. To that end, I didn't watch the programmes. Those type of things just leave me in tears. To a certain extent, I feel a bit of a fraud writing about this because I nor any of the people close to me were not (thankfully) involved.

What happened was.... well, words fail me here. [sigh] What happened was so very wrong. I can only hope that we do not forget. I look back and the bulk of my emotion for that time is sadness. Yet, in that pool, there's also a quiet undercurrent of anger; anger at the people who did it and at the way the events were twisted to suit certain government's goals.

Heavy stuff. Okay, moving on from the deep water to the shallower end in the swimming pool of life. :D

Tranny Stuff

Some time last week - and my apologies if I've mentioned this already - I picked up some new shoes. Matalan if you really want to know. It's odd with Matalan, sometimes the products are bang on in terms of design and value. Then, sometimes they just don't do it for me. Still, can you go wrong with some simple suede heels? So 80s too :)

Regular readers will know I'd got some from New Look earlier in the month, but while they were what I wanted in terms of look, the comfort factor leaved a little to be desired. Replacements in hand, or more accurately, having been 'on foot', that left me with a pair to return. This week I managed a trip into town (another meeting, another day) and took those back.

Talking of New Look, they - like seemingly everyone else except muggings here - now have a twitter feed. Yes, it's about their goods (Ed: Like duh! They are a shop, Lynn). but it does let you see what's coming in and the other day they had links to Hi Fashion (a blog well worth reading!). I noticed from Hi Fashion a link to bodysuits. It doesn't seem long since they were in fashion. More cycles huh? :)

The weather's been rather good this week. Not too hot and not too cool - just right for fussy sods like yours truly. With little rain, it's been good to get out of the office and go for a long walk at lunchtime. The exercise seems to have done me good in that it's cleared the cobwebs away, made my heart work and helped shift the pot belly I was at risk of completing :) Good news all round really.

A Big Night Out

I'd been undecided over my Thursday outfit for Chameleons and the good weather was, strangely, not helping. Go with something more autumnal now the nights are drawing in, or stay with the summer vibe? In the end I thought I'd forsake my usual skinny jeans / top combo and go back to skirts. It seems funny in that I've spent most of the summer - from a trannying point of view - in trousers. So much for the stereotype of microskirts and fishnets :-)

So Thursday's look was a tie-dye skirt, biscuit coloured top and black opaques. I'd gone with my new heels (the ones with the hidden platform) which I'm really liking. I had a cardy in the bag in cast it got cold, but it didn't. To be honest, I really enjoyed the change of clothes. It broke the usual routine of skinnies + heels and it really perked up my mood.

The good news just kept coming that night as the meeting itself was very busy. We started off slowly, but more and more folk kept arriving. It was really good to see the place so busy with new (Hi Rachel & D!), not so new (Gaynor) and regulars. Hazel had brought along a quiz and it being open to interpretation, much laughter and fun was had.

We now come full circle to fashion. I've been reading that thigh high boots are back in. I've seen photo shoots in magazines and Jess has mentioned them on her blog. I'm know some of you out there rock this look, but speaking about my own image, I find them a little too much. Knee boots, hell yeah, but over the knee and I - personally - can't help but feel like I'm on my way to a panto or Rocky Horror. Damned shame 'cos it's a very funky look. Big boots and a sparkly party dress; isn't that tranny heaven? :)

Still.... there was also the remains of the Bring & Buy and in there was a leather skirt (Ed: How short?!) *and* some thigh high PVC boots. Both items seemed popular and for a laugh, I tried these on (thanks to Sandi for the snap). I could walk in the boots, but that skirt was *short*. I daren't bend down and man was it tight. I guess leather doesn't give very much. :-)

Of course, my timing was impeccable was as I collected these, two new visitors turned up: a mum and her son. Talk about how to give the wrong impression eh? Still, I don't think they were looking. Sometimes I'm just too bloomin' respectable! :P

Both were fun items, but neither were really me. The boots were patent and while I am a child of the 80s, I felt more Lilly Savage than Pretty Woman! :)

So while the skirt too was on the short side. I did - ooh, ego! - hear some nice comments, but I don't (yet?) have the confidence for a number that tight and so far up my legs. The good news is that I did lay my hands on a gorge purple dress and that I did take home. It does need a good iron tho. :) (Again, thanks to Gaynor for the photo).

Mind you, the boots did get a bit of use because I wasn't the only one to try them on. Steph had popped in and gave them a drive too. We also nipped outside for a comedy photo: taking her picture under a streetlamp. All very silly indeed and no, I won't be uploading that.

On our way back through the darkened car park, my mobile started to ring. I thought it would be the Ever Lovely Mrs Jones, but it was someone from work about a server problem. Luckily I did remember to say my male name (phew!) although being stood in a car park talking shop to a work mate *while* in all dressed up in Lynn-mode was a somewhat odd experience. Do you find yourself walking slowly around as you talk? I did and I realised I better stop or make quiet footsteps before the sound of high heels made its way down the wire :)

With regards to activities. I'm still trying to sort out a visit from Boots, although I have managed to talk to the lady in question. Tracey's looking into booking a meal (that'll be fun!) and the idea of a trip to the theatre has gone down well with the group. Personally, the meal is more my scene. Mind you, I better get on with some walking to build up an appetite.

Here's to a good weekend - whatever you're up to! :-)

Take care,
Lynn
x

[ Today's lyric: These Boots Were Made For Walking by Nancy Sinatra ]

9 comments:

  1. A fine week Lynn, and yes the purple dress with a little press will be a complete winner.

    May I however encourage you on the skirt? Stay with the opaque tights, and get a low heel half-calf boot. You will be off to the races, and not too too racy.

    Seriously, you can do this. It is a more modest look than you think.

    Agreed entirely on the thigh boots btw. Those take more conviction (or talent for self delusion) than sensible people are typically able to muster.

    Happy weekend indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am especially fond of your fashion sense. If only I were a touch taller and leaner and leggier, I would so raid your closet! I love the leather skirt and the boots...! You're simply gorgeous and so well put together. Here's to a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Petra: Thank you. Much as I don't mind the crinkled look - at least for a dress - it is possible to go too far. :)

    I'm still not sure on the skirt, not only the length but it was tight in the wrong places too. Maybe a slightly bigger size and we could be talking.

    The boots did go around the group. Perhaps for the novelty of them more than anything.

    T.C.G: Thanks for the kind words. I'd say you'd be welcome to raid the closet, but the shipping would be a b*tch :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. +1 to the other comments. The purple dress looks lovely, and the skirt is really not as short as I was expecting from your description...

    As for the walking when dressed and on the phone... I *so* know where you are coming from here :). When on the phone for 30 mins I can walk a half marathon around the house (including up into the bedrooms and attic, then back again) and into the garden.

    When my other half was on a business trip and I was spending the night dressed and she guessed from the clip clop of her heels on the wooden floor :) (Thankfully she did already know). I do have to be careful when working from home though - my desk phone is always put through the to my mobile. I usually remember to take the heels of when someone calls *before* answering - but when I forget and start the walking I hear it and either start trying to hold a phone, keep a conversation going and slip the shoes off, or suddenly start tip toeing around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stace: Hi there! Love your blog icon BTW. Trust me, that skirt felt short; I'm not used to seeing the tops of my thighs! :)

    Walking and talking: you too huh? :) Even if you sort your heels out, you gotta be careful not to start tapping the handset against your earring. Trannys eh? Sheesh. :D

    PS: Good luck with the new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What can I say 20+ years or so ago (was it really that long ago???) Red was always my favorite character. (Actually I think that my parents may have been worried about me at one stage - I was as much into the girl stuff as cars; though I am a complete petrol head as well) Until I get the nerve to take a shot of myself I think that Red does nicely...

    As yet I've not got the problem of earings :) I can imgine that it would be an easy mistake to make though :)

    Thanks for the encouragement! See if I can keep up the posting.

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  7. No one can ever go wrong with simple suede hills... I'm a a firm believer in that also. lol. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The short skirt and boots are right up my alley! :D Perhaps they are not your particular (preferred) style, but for what it's worth, you look rockin' in them! Glad you indulged if only for a quick photo and some laughs. :)

    I spent some time chatting with a former (male) classmate of mine while en femme. Although I was at home at the time and he knows I'm a cd, it was a bit awkward as I was talking in my male voice and persona during the conversation. It seemed a better fit for our conversation material (common creative interests). My femme voice isn't very good, but I almost never talk in my man-voice while en femme. Had the conversation been face to face, it would have been Gabi-voice and femme persona the whole time. Odd behavior, perhaps, but interesting, is it not? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stace: 20 *cough* *cough* years. No. I think we both mean the repeats on CITV of late. Yeah right! :) Better Red than Trash-heap tho eh? :D

    T.F.C: Thanks for the props. Good luck with the site!

    Gabrielle: Aye, they're more your bag than mine, but it was a bit of fun and I'm glad I tried them on.

    I don't do a voice, but I did panic thinking "Did I say, 'Hi. Lynn here.'? Sh**! Luckily not! :)

    Petrolheads and now creative interests - quite a diverse crowd coming along.

    ReplyDelete