Friday, August 07, 2009

"When I get mad,
when I get p*ssed..."

Hi,

This week's been a bit all over the shop. Parts of it have seemed to drag as if someone was holding back the second hand, while paradoxically, certain bits have zipped by in the blink of the proverbial.

Blogging-wise I like to have something in mind by Thursday at the latest. I know that Friday's are generally pretty busy and while some nights I can fly by the seat of my pants, I find with the passing entries, that I like to put a bit of thought into them. Anyone who says otherwise gets a Paddington Bear Hard Stare :) Crikey, the nostalgia's flying thick and fast this time around eh? A bit of Roland Rat and now Paddington Bear. Holy yesteryear of talking mammals, Batman :)

So, stuck of something to write about - well, that's not true. I was thinking about the shower of sh** that's on at the multiplex: the CGIfest that is the summer-time movie. I'm sure there must be some good flicks out, but for the life of me, I've not seen one that appeals to me yet. Maybe my old rule of thumb of 'only go to the cinema between September and May' seems about right. But no, my heart wasn't in that.

In search of a moment of inner-calm, I do what I do when I get tense... no, not dressing up... I bake. No, really. I bake cookies or cupcakes. I find the whole she-bang very relaxing. It's good to concentrate on an activity and have something to show for it at the end. Double plus good if it's edible. :)

Now, one could argue that I like cooking because I'm chasing my feminine skills, which personally, I think is complete tosh. I just happen to like baking. Hell, I like making things anyway: paper models with the kids, Lego with Wee Man and what have you. Baking, I think, is just an extension of that.

While I can throw a few raw ingredients in a bowl, I won't profess to being a good cook. I think there's a big difference between a batch of biscuits and a Sunday roast. Honestly, I don't know how Mrs Jones manages it. There just seems to be too much on the go for a big dinner! Simple stuff - say no more than 4 or 5 ingredients I can cope with, but a few more than that and it's all too much for my simple brain :) Still, meat, 2 veg + sauce and that's 90% of British cuisine covered. The other 10% has something to do with custard and/or cakes. :)

I could never understand the mentality of some of my old mates who didn't know how to boil an egg or make anything more complicated than beans on toast. Not to say that beans on toast aren't a rather nice dish, I just wouldn't want them for every bloomin' meal. I'd probably burn a hole in the Ozone layer after the second day :(

Where am I going with all of this? Actually, now I've come this far, I really don't have a clue. :) I suppose if there is a point to this, it's the strange reasoning that cooking (or baking by extension) is essentially woman's work. I don't agree. Cooking is about being able to feed yourself and others. While I fancy the idea of being able to fix my own car, there's another part of my that's far happier producing scrummy cakes for an afternoon tea. Plus, car work, you get so dirty.... and it wrecks your nails :P

Lastly - and in an effort to stop this being solely one sided - baking, yay or nay? If yay, any favourite dishes you'd care to share? If nay, why not?

Take care,
Lynn

[ Today's lyric: Sh*tlist by L7 ]

9 comments:

  1. The ability to cook is not the exclusive provence of either gender. In my family the worst cook is my mother - and she abandoned the dinner time cooking as soon as my dad stopped working full time. She can do cakes and desserts though. The rest of us however are more than capable of rustling something up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great recipes in Nigella Express. Try the Pear and Ginger muffins - moist and not too sweet. Or the instant chocolate mousse. My daughter calls it is 'killer chocolate mousse'.
    And you really have to try the Mirin-glazed salmon. We use Teriyaki sauce being too idle to look for mirin and we also cheat by just adding plain wine vinegar at the end. Get scottish salmon pieces from Waitrose. Knock-out!
    My dad swears that Nigella's success is down to the way she makes love to the camera, but me, I think she can actually cook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a foodie but a great cook? I'm more of a tasty scientist. I adore experimental cooking with a flare for dishes that overwhelm the senses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved to cook and bake, and hated working on cars. When I was a teen, I did a lot of cooking for my family, but my ideas about gender were really messed up. I wanted to explore cooking from many places, and wanted to check out cookbooks from the library, but I would ask my mom to check them out - I thought cooking was such a feminine thing, that for me to check them out, I might as well have been out about crossdressing. My mom would check them out, but then say things like, "All the best cooks in the world are men" - which somehow made me feel worse.
    Favorite baked things: I love baking bread - even plain white flour loaves, but more exotic things too. My favorite is sponge-cake, with orange, anise, or almond flavoring.

    When I was on my first professional internship, my supervisor and I used to meet at his house after work to review cases. I would make dinner for him. By my third meeting, he said, "You'll make someone a great wife someday".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clarissa: I found myself nodding in agreement as I read the first statement. :)

    Penny: Thanks for the tip, I'll keep my eye out for that one.

    That salmon recipie sounds top. Hmmm, fish supper I wonder? :)

    T.C.G: I'm loving the term 'tasty scientist'! I makes me think of a lab coat and killer heels :)

    Jill: A good cook is a good cook, I think it's what's in their heart and head, rather than their pants, that makes the difference :)

    Bread making? Oh the smell of freshly baked bread is fab. As to the comments about being a wife, I think that's a compliment. Being able to prepare food so you can care for another person is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cook? Ain't that barbecuing, but indoors? The province of the ladie.... Erm, hang on a mo... :-D

    Me, I'd rather take apart of Chevy of uncertain vintage than try and cook something. Barbecuing something dead, on the other hand - that's firmly within the province of the hairy person.

    Misogynistic outbreaks notwithstanding. Of course. :-)

    Truth be told, I can't cook. I once made some burgers, gave them to Major (my dog), who looked at me with an expression that said "What? You expect me eat this?" And a girlfriend, upon viewing the meal I'd cooked, suggested we eat out...

    Ah. Give me an engine, I'll improve it. Give me some ingredients that make up a meal - you'll end up at McDonald's. Almost the same, really. :-)

    Carolyn Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. That should have been "take apart a Chevy


    Sorry!

    Carolyn Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bake cookies or cupcakes. I find the whole she-bang very relaxing.

    I'm sure it's even more relaxing if you add a certain um... "herbal" ingredient to the mix! Erm yes, enough of that.

    Still, meat, 2 veg + sauce and that's 90% of British cuisine covered.

    That reminds me of a party I once went to where the fare consisted entirely of British dishes. Coming as I do from one of the ex-colonies, I'd assumed up till then that British cuisine would have been something I'd have been fairly well-acquainted with, but no, there were a lot of things there I'd never seen or heard of before, such as a dish with the most memorable title of "spotted dick".

    With regards to the main topic under discussion, I've long had an interest in cooking myself; indeed, it's something both me and my two younger brothers have been good at. I don't think I ever saw anything overly feminine about it (nor indeed about any of the other household skills I'm proficient at) - I've always just regarded it as a useful skill, particularly for a single man such as myself. I seem to have developed a particular forte for making Mexican food, although, really, I've found myself able to follow pretty much any recipe and turn out something that tastes decent enough, and looks like the thing in the accompanying photo.

    When I was on my first professional internship, my supervisor and I used to meet at his house after work to review cases. I would make dinner for him. By my third meeting, he said, "You'll make someone a great wife someday".

    I've had similar comments from people who've observed my prowess in various housekeeping skills. In my case, however, those making said remarks have stated that I'd make a good husband. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carolyn Ann: Yeah, only less fire - unless you have gas that is. Well, gas to cook on. :)

    Sorry, but if you're dog won't eat it, it's really not a good sign :D

    Zosimus: I couldn't possibly comment on the latter. :)

    Spotted Dick? LOL. That's a quality pudding if ever there was one.

    Cooking as a female skill? Well, no, I agree. I mean, if you're on your tod (sorry: "own"), being able to feed yourself is rather important!

    Hmmm... Mexican food. Yum!

    ReplyDelete