Friday, May 08, 2009

"When I grow up
I'll be stable."

Hey y'all.

Another week rolls by. Tear down a strip from the calendar and toss (Ed: fnarr) into the recycling bin of history. :)

Summer rolls ever closer. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the fact that I don't have to dress for the Arctic and the fact that the kids are not cooped up indoors is a good thing (as any parent will tell you).

The only downside with summer is... summer fashions. More flesh on show and hem lines are, of course, up again this season. Being summer, and it's almost t-shirt weather, the War On Hair is currently on hold. My eyebrows may be neat and my nails tapered, but you have to try and blend in a bit don't you?

So when the summer fashions come out, I look and wonder what'll work for yours truly. Long floaty top, pale leggings and wedges perhaps? The trusty white skinnies and a cute vest? Somethings to consider when work flags and I need some welcome distraction.

In other news, I read an article about 'if I knew then what I knew now..' - you know, one of those filler pieces magazines like to run every now and again. I did do a whole blog post on it... in the style of an email that had gone back in time to the 1989 me. :) But, it didn't really work, so you won't be seeing that just yet! :D

I've thought about this as I queued in traffic. I think I'd be tempted to say:

"Try not to worry too much. It'll be tough in places, but you'll get through it. Trust me when I say it'll all work out. Indeed, far better than you could imagine: a family, self-acceptance and good friends. Friends who know and who won't judge. Just hang on in there."

So bizarre time-travelling texts aside: if you could send a note to yourself, what advice (other than betting tips :-P ) would you send back? Or wouldn't you? Would you rather you go through the learning curve?

Take care,
Lynn
x

[ Today's lyric: Garbage's When I Grow Up ]

11 comments:

  1. Mine would have to say "cut up the credit cards, dummy"!

    alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. * She does like you, she's just shy
    * Start looking for a new job
    * Don't send that email
    * It's a long journey - set off earlier
    * Call people's bluff more

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Don't let this gender thing simmer for the next twenty years. Address it now, before you have kids, and decide what you want without that being in the equation. It'll be much easier at 25 than 45. Plus, you still have hair to work with!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I were to send a message to the 1989 me (and believe me, I would if I could!), it'd probably go something like this: "You know that dream you've been entertaining for the last five years or so of being a champion marathon runner some day? Well, during the next few years, you're going to find yourself losing interest in that a bit, and be seriously tempted to throw it all away. Don't, you'll only regret it. You'll be watching the Olympic marathon some day (say, in 2004 or 2008), and suddenly remember that you'd always imagined you'd be competing in it by then, and you'll wonder why you never ended up doing so." Actually, this would be a very good message to send to myself in 1989, because that was the year when my interest in running first started to flag (it wouldn't be until nearly ten years later, however, that it'd finally die for good). I'd also tell myself that I wasn't too old at sixteen to be contemplating a career as a world-class athlete (seriously, there were times back then when I actually thought I was!); that I should compete in more fun runs (so as to keep my enthusiasm up, and give my day-to-day jogs a more immediate sense of purpose); that I should actually watch a marathon more than once every four years (ie not only when the Olympics were on); and that I should find some famous runners to look up to and be inspired by.

    Other than that, I don't think there'd be anything else I'd tell the adolescent me. Yes, I've done my own share of fumbling, bumbling and stumbling over the last two decades, but for the most part, things have turned out OK for me. Oh, wait, there is one other thing I'd tell myself: simply that the world was still going to be around in 2009. Back then, I half-believed all those silly prophets of doom who claimed that the world would end in 1999 (because, like, they once made some other prediction that actually came true!*); I really could have done with some reassurance that that dreaded year would come and go, yet life as we knew it would go on!

    *Of course, you never heard about the thousands of predictions they made that didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... thanks for all your comments. Quite a mix!

    Alan: Sound advice that!

    Pandora: #4? Very true.

    Leslie: 25? And I thought I knew a few things back then! :)

    Zosimus: Regrets vs advice. I feel there's another blog post for us all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been thinking about this a lot since you first posed the question. If I'm not allowed to tell myself anything about stocks and shares, etc., all I can come up with is:

    * Never buy a terraced house if you don't know the neighbours.
    * Don't worry too much about the gender thing: it gets a lot easier.
    * Confidence will get your further than competence.
    * True love exists, and you'll recognise it when you find it. When you have doubts... it's not the real thing.
    * Avoid Windows M.E. like the plague.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having been giving your hypothetical question a bit more thought, I'm wondering how many of us would, if it was in our power to do so, send our past selves a loooong shopping list of all those fabulous clothes we regret not buying when we had the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suomy: No. 3 is very true.... as is No. 5. :D

    Zosimus: LOL. Things to buy (LBD, perfect courts) and... things not to buy (stonewash jeans, dayglo leggings).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't be afraid to be who you are.
    Don't let anyone tell you how to live.
    Dance more.
    Eat less cake.
    Play squash.

    And whatever you do, don't throw away that gorgeous top! Purging never works.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vanessa: I'll agree with the first three. But less cake? Mon dieu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. You can ignore the ridiged gender binary roles.
    2. That season when town does really well. Enjoy and make the most of it because the rest of the time it'll be depressing.
    3. Follow your heart.
    4. Don't buy that pattened dress.

    ReplyDelete