Friday, April 24, 2009

"Too much, much, much, much, much music"

Hey y'all

Another week flits by eh? Last Saturday was Record Store Day. A special event in the UK celebrating the diversity of music available at your local music shop... At least, one in the eyes of the indie retailers. It' not like we had flags and street parties. Hell, we didn't manage the latter on St George's Day (although I'm guessing we [Brits] did drink a lot :-D ). I must confess, the whole record shop thing passed me by in the rush that is the family weekend. Y'know - trips to the park, lunch, a shufti* around town and then home for a lark in the garden, tea and bed. After that, maybe a spot of blogging and a good cup of tea. :-)

[ * Ed: that's slang for 'look' for our non-English readers :-) ]

My relationship with music is somewhat complicated. It's something I enjoy and its effect on my mood is very positive. If I'm not feeling with it, the right tune - or perhaps more accurately, the right lyrics - can help me break out from under a dark cloud. There's nothing quite like singing your head off (not literally) in the car to a favourite song... at least I think so and it's the only place I will attempt to sing. I'm so out of key I can't even think of a witty way to describe it :-)

Just about every blog post has a lyric quoted from an artist. I started this because certain songs would catch in my head when I was thinking about particular subjects. The two would intertwine and I'd feel in someway the lyric was necessary. I find myself storing up lyrics wondering when I'll have a post that matches them. Part of me wonders if an artist would be upset by this, but then I think, is all advertising good advertising? I know I've seen links to video on YouTube and after listening, I go and buy that track.

Anyway, indie record shops....? In my youth I'd regularly make the trip into town to take a look in my favourite record shops. I'm glad to see that at least two them is still going strong. That's one of the great things about Nottingham, it has such a young population that "yoof culture" shops (and clubs) keep on ticking. No matter what 'tribe' you belong to, there's somewhere for you to top up your identity.

But you make time for the things you like and old pleasures ebb away. I still love music, but I don't make the time to go through the records or CD racks any more. Since the on-line retailers have (thankfully) dropped DRM from music downloads, I'm now buying more - perhaps more than when I was a teenager. Does this help the independent retailer? Probably not, but the stuff I'm buying now - mostly pop or chart indie-esq tunes - wouldn't be the stuff I'd get from them anyway. They lost me as a customer as my tastes altered once again.

That said, it's still fun to walk in to an alternative music shop in your work suit to pick up a couple of CDs.... if only to f*** with the stereotype.

A Visit from the Council

In other news, it was time for the Full Betty (to re-use a gag) as Chameleons was on once again (yay!). I was going to (cross)dress smart this week as we had a visit from the local Council. But in the end I opted for white jeans (so 80s! LOL), my stripey top and some wedges. Well, it is almost Summer isn't it?

Our two visitors wanted to talk about the Complains Procedure and get a some feedback for TG specific issues. Obviously, anonymity was a key point. As someone said - and on an unrelated note - some crimes don't get reported because the person doesn't want to out themselves. Sad, but true. BTW, I'm not saying the Police are failing us here, I'm just reporting how people feel about reporting crime (assault for example) and how the process might go. Interestingly, the Complaints Officer explained how you could make a complaint (or otherwise) to the Council (or Police) and remain anonymous. Useful to know!

There was also some talk about the group being quizzed over the TG community needs within Nottinghamshire. I don't think we can speak for everyone, but we can at least give some feedback to whoever's listening. Food for thought eh?

Take care,
Lynn
x

[ Today's lyric: Poison to the Mind by Pop Will Eat Itself ]

14 comments:

  1. Hi, Lynn! I'm pleased to know that I'm not the only girl daft enough to be writing down snatches of lyrics to use in my blog. I have six or seven loose pieces of paper with roughly seventy lyrics. I just scratch 'em out when I use them. Can't afford to repeat them , right?

    Rock on, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the daughter of a son who begged his father for a beatle haircut. Needless to say I was schooled on rock n roll at a young age turning towards other genres in a form of teenage rebellion. I often wake with songs in my head-this morning it was Warwick Avenue which my brit nephew sang endlessly because I told him he had a lovely voice. I miss him now...and your blog often makes it more so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie Ann: Hi there. Repeats? Well, maybe not particular lyrics, but songs yes. Some writers do pack them in.

    T.C.G: Rock & roll in the blood by the sounds of it then! :) Sorry to hear you miss your nephew. There's always Skype, but it's not the same is it. Ahh, if flights were cheaper, you could have a proper cup of tea, a scone + jam and find out none of us sound like Julie Andrews. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re indie music stores, I remember one in my own neck of the woods that I was a regular visitor to back in the '90s, and from which I bought quite a few tapes (and then CDs) over the years. Called "Thrash, Grind, Grunge" (at least when it started), it stocked a lot of extreme metal and other (to me at the time) disturbing genres of music; and I well remember the macabre thrill I got from poring over its wares, and discovering such "evil" bands as Morbid Angel, Entombed, Dismember*, Massacre and Incubus (not the relatively well-known act of that name, but a death metal band from the US that ended up changing its name to Opprobrium, and then disappearing). Anyway, TGG stayed in business for quite a few years, before, like the aforementioned Incubus, changing its name and then closing down: something that, not surprisingly, saddened me at the time.

    While I don't frequent indie music stores much anymore, I'm still a regular buyer of new music, which I continue to purchase in the form of CDs. None of this newfangled downloading nonsense for me; I still like to have something solid in my hand! (On the subject of downloading, what's DRM?)

    That said, it's still fun to walk in to an alternative music shop in your work suit to pick up a couple of CDs.... if only to f*** with the stereotype.Too true, though it'd be more like a pink satin shirt in my own case!

    *The first Dismember album I saw (at TGG) was the group's 1991 debut, 'Like an Everflowing Stream', which blew me away with its demonic cover art, and the band photo that graced the back of it (a shot showing the members covered in cattle blood and wearing large inverted crosses around their necks). At the time I found the band all too evil for me (I mean, I was no wimp - I listened to "hardcore" stuff like Slayer and all - but these guys seemed to go a little too far with the Satanic imagery), yet within only a few years, I'd overcome my initial aversion towards them and become quite a fan of them. Even more strangely, nearly fourteen years after first learning of their existence, I found myself chatting with their vocalist (one of the people in that infamous band shot) on the phone! In my spare time, I write for one of the local independent music mags, and, during the incident in question, was doing an interview with someone from Dismember to promote an Australian tour they'd soon be undertaking. Isn't it funny how life turns out sometimes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zosimus: Wasn't there a flood of 'Angel' related bands back then? Death Angel, Morbid Angel, Blood Angel, etc. :)

    The thing with the whole Satanic imagery, doesn't it all get a bit panto after a while?

    DRM? 'Digital Rights Management'. It's a technology that's supposed to stop copying. The idea being that you pay and download a DRM protected song from the Internet, but then to stop you trading it with a friend. It'll only play on your computer (or perhaps two).

    Personally, I like making compliation CDs or being able to listen to the stuff I've bought how I want and when I want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wasn't there a flood of 'Angel' related bands back then? Death Angel, Morbid Angel, Blood Angel, etc. :)Yes, I believe there was. Dark Angel is another one that springs to mind.

    The thing with the whole Satanic imagery, doesn't it all get a bit panto after a while?Indeed - especially when the musicians start giving themselves grandiloquent titles; slathering their faces with corpse paint (something that invariably ends up making them look like Imperial Stormtroopers, or, as a friend once put it, Pandas of Doom); adorning themselves with inverted crosses and other occult symbols so large and heavy it's a wonder the wearer can still stand; donning spikes so long and sharp they're bound to take somebody's eye out; and generally boasting about how "evil" they are at every opportunity.

    DRM? 'Digital Rights Management'. It's a technology that's supposed to stop copying. The idea being that you pay and download a DRM protected song from the Internet, but then to stop you trading it with a friend. It'll only play on your computer (or perhaps two).That would be a nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you have any information on how to make a complaint / report a crime while remaining anonymous, please share. My friends in Anonymous who have been the victim of $ci€ntolog¥'s 'Fair Game' policy might find that useful.

    Nothing to do with trans- issues, though. Although Hubbard said that people like us "should be disposed of quietly and without sorrow"... so it's kind of our fight, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suomy : Sorry, but the ladies from the Council didn't give exact information. I did find this about the CrimeStoppers web site though. I hope that's useful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zosimus: I think Pandas of Doom would be a great name of a band! :) Yeah, I've seen a few pictures of guys with spikey gloves on... and I thought I had issues over dressing up :-P

    Well, the DRM stuff seems to be dropping away (thankfully) as the Big Experiment failed. Amazon and lots of other retailers are offering DRM free music. Personally, I think it's great. I can pay just under a quid to get a song I like and it's mind to listen to until I get fed up and delete it. There's no packaging, no trudging around the shops and the artist / session muscians all get paid too. Smiles all round :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The indie music store has long since gone, replaced by a charity shop but while it was there it was the church of cool and a little intimidating for someone whose probably felt more at home among the pop singles at Woolworths.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our last indie went under a few years ago; new and used, you could still buy mint 78's along with 33's, 45's, etc..

    When I borrow song titles or lyrics they're generally older than I am, though a few newer ones slip in on occasion.

    That said, I'll trade you Julie for George Shearing or Marian McPartland (though we seem to have permanently borrowed her, and thank you)!

    alan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucy: Such seems the fate of most shops - to be replaced by a charity shop.

    Yeah, they could be snobby sometimes. Nothing wrong with a bit of pop. Woolworths eh? End of an era! :)

    Alan: Wow, 78s! Who's Marian McPartland? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marian grew up there and was being trained as a classical pianist, but kept getting in trouble for playing jazz. She came over here during the Blitz, fell in love and married a Dixieland trumpet player and never went back. She's hosted a public radio show called "Piano Jazz" for decades now and is still amazing to listen to.

    alan

    ReplyDelete