Friday, April 17, 2009

"Before I put on my makeup,
I say a little prayer for you"

Hi peeps,

I read about some new research that was quoted on Rose's Forum earlier in the week. The link takes you to a discussion about the findings and how some parts of it go against earlier research. I'll give you a brief sound bite (below) although that clearly doesn't do the full article justice:
"What this study does do, however, is add to the increasing evidence that there
are some detectable neurological differences in the brains of transgendered
people. We're just not in a position to say much about the significance of this
yet.
"
How does one define 'transgendered'? Hell, most of us TG folk can't agree on labels, I wonder how the scientific community managed? :-) Snippy comments aside, let us say - for sake of argument - that if it included everyone in the TG spectrum - I wonder what would come out of such a research project? If - a God knows how - we studied everyone from the the occasional dabblers to those who live full time (or near as damn it); would we find any commonality?

Does this prove that there's no such thing as 'alternative lifestyle' and that we are how we're made? Man, that sounds a loaded statement if you take it out of context. Oops. ;-) It's so easy to say the wrong thing these days! :-) What I mean is, are we who we are by biological lottery of chemistry? Certain hormones at certain times mean certain things, etc. It's going to be an interesting ride that's for sure.

In other - and significantly less scientific and earth-shattering, the Ever Lovely Mrs Jones and I had a day off today for a spot of shopping. Y'see, having a tranny husband isn't always bad news: we don't get bored while you try on shoes or the same dress three times. We know why you would rather wear trainers on a big shopping trip that cute pumps and the phrase 'too many shoes' is as alien to us as the off-side rule (Ed: sweeping generalisations ahoy!).

After lunch we stopped in a department store as Mrs J checked out the new slap that was on offer. She had a quick make-over (Ed: lucky lady!) and she looked very nice. Yes, of course I told her. :-) While she tried on a new foundation, she complained about it being too 'glowy'. So helpful husband and bloke mind thinking 'problem? provide solution!', I handed over a small compact of powder... in the right shade, of course. :-) The assistant gave a big smile and said: "Wow, you do know your way around make-up don't you?"* Mrs J kindly bit her lip, although I did notice a cheeky grin (one of the many things I love about her).

"I'm a new man," I replied hoping that would dodge the issue. "Shall we leave it at that?" Heh. Busted :-)

[ * Well, not really, but then compared to my non-TG mates, yes I guess so. ]

Mrs J was debating the cost while the assistant was looking for other products that may prove popular. I thought I'd treat her because a) she's worth it and b) because it's nice to have the little things that can help you feel good about yourself.

Right ladies? :-)

TTFN
Lynn
x

[ Today's lyric: I Say A Little Prayer For You by Aretha Franklin ]

12 comments:

  1. One of the best things about the crossdresser moving in was all the make up! Sometimes I go to work and I'll get a comment on my makeup looking nice. I'll say, "Oh, I used my boyfriend's today..." It's so much fun to see the look on their face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. T.C.G: LOL. That's a good story.

    Reminds me of a time two Christmas's ago....

    W: "I'm out of opaques. Have you...?

    H: "Here you go, pet."

    W: "Ooo, these feel nice! Where'd you get these from?"

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As in so many other things, a bit of knowledge can prove most useful!

    :o)

    A while back someone was explaining to me about a Kinsey scale and how people fall all along it, not just at either end. Why should being "T" (or anything else) be an exception?

    alan

    ReplyDelete
  4. When, in the past, I have occasionally blundered and revealed a little too much knowledge of the feminine arts, I've found it useful to say "Yeah, well... I'm a photographer, inni?"

    Keep it in mind. Although it doesn't help much if you suddenly find that all the guests around your dinner table have gone quiet, because you accidentally said you were "a Size 14."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alan: A bit of knowledge can also be dangerous!

    "So these are eyelash curlers huh? OW!" :)

    I think that scale also applies to bikers, IT geeks and just about any hobby (or lifestyle) where you have incidentals and the hardcore. :D

    Suomy: Your dinner party line had me chuckling merrily.

    I don't suppose adding the word "apparently" on the end covers the blunder does it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I think "apparently" could be used to cover a multitude of sins. Like great comedy, the secret is in.




    The timing.



    Apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha :) Very smooth reply. My wife is not so enamored with shopping (I think there's a cursed twist of fate somewhere in there), but every once in a while we'll get the spark to go shopping together, and it's usually a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vanessa: Thanks :)

    That is a bit of a turn on the usual attributes in a couple :)

    The Ever Lovely Mrs Jones can be like that too. She's less easily parted with her hard earned cash than myself, so there's normally a bit of 'go one. If you like it, have it' going on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The whole examination of differences in the trans brain compared to the general population is an interesting new'ish area those who are anti-trans will find new explations though. As for inadvertently outing I sometimes open my mouth before thinking offering an opinion or statement on clothes, fashion, makeup etc followed by an attempt to cover up still it probably wont surprise when I come out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucy: If research was done, would you volunteer to be scanned? Not that I'm making a list here or anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good question. (after a little thought) Yes, I would be interested in volunteering myself if they are planning any further research.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucy: Well, there's two of us for the PhD then! :-)

    ReplyDelete