Friday, January 23, 2009

"And the problem with success is you become what you detest,
How about that?"

Hello,

I feel the urge to start off with some witty comment rather than the usual "how's you?" But my feet are cold and really I should be sorting out something to eat, so I'm not quite in the zone. Shall we just get straight to it? (Ed: oo-er!)

Have you ever worked for something - a personal goal, some material item, job or holiday - and then when it's just about to arrive, stop and think: is this what I really want?

I'm on that track right now. There's a job opportunity opening soon and for the last year or so I've been thinking: once so-and-so position arrives, I can put my hand to that and leave a lot of this junk behind! Funny thing is, now the new position is about to be released (at least according to the rumour mill - or 'cooler talk' as I hear from overseas), I'm looking at it thinking: but is that really me? Do I really want to go down that route?

I guess parts of it are self-doubt (can I do it?) but more of it is: will it interest me? Do I want to leave my work mates behind? I mean they're a really good bunch - and in the unlikely event they're are reading this, thanks for keeping schtum :-D

(Ed: You know, if someone posts anonymously 'Your secret's safe with us Lynn, Love from all in XYZ Corp' - she'll freak out )

We have a good laugh together and, hand on heart truth: it's more who I work with that makes the job than what I manage to complete. Maybe I'm just weird... Actually, don't answer that :-)

The other factor is the pace - or perhaps my impression of what the pace may be. From down here in the trenches, it seems all rather high powered. It's also change; I know I can do what I do now. This new role will be away from hands-on to something slightly more remote and communication orientated. Funny, because I can talk - and write - for England. I enjoy giving presentations or teaching people how to do stuff. Hell, maybe I missed my vocation: "Smith, take those heels off until you can walk properly in them.... Now, off to Maths, there's a good lad." :-)

So I'm in a bit of a quandary at the mo. Possibly, I should apply when the chance arrises and if I don't get an interview, or fluff the one I could get, it wasn't meant to be. I can always comfort myself with a spot of shopping :-)

I think it's now, now that I've a family of my own, that I sit back and think: is work now just something to pay the bills? Does any of it really matter compared to what happens in my own time? Then I look at what I'm doing now and wonder if it'll last me until I retire. Maybe the time to jump is now. Ahh, to see one's future or not eh? :-)

And on that note, take care,
Lynn
x

[ Today's lyric: The Right Decision by Jesus Jones ]

7 comments:

  1. I think no matter where you end up or what you end up doing, in the end you like the people more than the job. I don't miss General Motors, the frustration, the things I and everyone else told them for years could/should be changed, but I miss the coworkers who right now are out in the cold wondering what the morrow will bring!

    Soon I'll be opening another door or window and without a doubt I know that within weeks or months it will be the people I look forward to seeing (along with the paycheck)!

    Life is so fluid right now; 30 year pensioners like myself are a rarity (here at least) so you need to look out for yourself and yours "down the road"...

    Best of luck no matter what you decide to do! You are one of the "good ones"...one of those I would look forward to seeing!

    alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change can be a bit scary. The reassurance of what we know is often a powerful inducement to remain where we are. Change is, as you note, about uncertainty.

    But sometimes we need change. It can present us with new challenges, new opportunities and new pitfalls.

    Don't imagine, for one moment, that the people you work with wouldn't jump at a chance to change. Some might not, most would. Your employer can change what you do, the people you work with will change over the years. You'll get a new boss at some point; perhaps it'll be someone you currently work with. Perhaps it'll be someone new. Who knows?

    So what if the new job doesn't work out? You'll never know if you don't make the effort to get it. And do you want to wonder, for the rest of your life, what might have happened in you'd made that one change? (What might happen if you don't is fairly predictable... Just look at what you're doing now!)

    Employment is not a static, sure thing, these days. We have to make our own futures. So what if you like where you are? You're lucky; savor the memory - and move on.

    Personally, I've never let liking where I work interfere with what I want to do with my life. When I made a mistake, I enacted another change. Never forget what Auntie Mame says: life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death. :-)

    Not that I'm telling you what to do! (How could I?)

    Carolyn Ann

    PS It's "around the watercooler"! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan: Well, you say that. :) I, like many others, have worked in some complete sh**holes, but let's not dwell on the negative. :D

    What to do indeed? I'm fairly sure I can't keep on doing what I do now. Indeed, to use an old phrase: the one certantiy is change!

    Thanks for the kind words, BTW.

    Carolyn: In my last job, I needed to go. I was at the end of my rope and there was nowhere for me to go other than leave. If anything, moving has allowed me to move up the food chain (as it where) whereas people I know who've stayed in jobs are... well, stuck in the same place. If they're happy with that, that's cool.

    Maybe we're about to go down that route of: better to regret something you have done... and all that. I think I'l apply, If it doesn't happen, then at least I gave it a shot and it wasn't meant to be.

    "Watercooler"? I shall inform the American author of their mistake on your behalf :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess Alan and Carolyn have said all there needs to be said by way of a response, so I'll just wish you luck whatever you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lyn

    Its not easy to come out of your comfort zone. You may have self doubts and not take the risk, but if you do take the risk you will grow with it. You may fall flat on your face but you can dust yourself off and try again and be better prepared next time.

    You can't stay still. You either fall behind or peddle harder and get somewhere worthwhile.

    So,throw away your stabalisers and go for it girl!

    Not that I'm trying to tell you what to do. Ha!

    Good luck.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck Lynn! In the still quite of the night you'll know what to do. Perhaps success itself might be something to be weary of?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alex, Gabriela & Vanessa: Thanks for the wishes of good luck. I think I'm going to need it. :)

    ReplyDelete