Friday, January 30, 2009

"All dressed up just like an English chappie,
Very snappy!"

Hiya,


The other week I was at a conference: a small do of about 30 people - all of them blokes. Well, all blokes bar the lady who organised the whole gig. She had a really nice black shift dress with a faux shirt layered under it... but I'm waffling.

I, like perhaps you, do my fair share of dressing up - cross-dressing if you want to be precise - but what about dressing up the other way? Male dressing up. Some may say 'en drab' but that's not always true. There are some nice clothes if you're a chap. Shirt and tie are typical office garb, but there's other uniforms: a format of clothes that marks us out as a particular type of worker.

Talking of uniforms, one common sight at these conferences is the suit. Or perhaps more accurately, the business suit and tie. I keep my suits for such occasions because like a nice dress, I like to keep them special. To me, a good suit, isn't something you wear everyday. It takes the occasion out of it, but then my attitude to clothes, perhaps like yours, is rather broader than your average chap. :-)

During one of the seminars - where my mind drifted off as per - I started to take in my fellow attendee's clothing. While 'the suit' was the top item, I noticed a number of gents with open collars and no tie. Maybe I'm odd - no, don't answer that - but to me, wearing a suit without a tie just doesn't feel right.

I've read and heard in a few places that the tie is on it's way out, but I'm not sure I agree. Maybe we will become less formal, but I think if you need the right look - perhaps gravitas even - you need to be dressed up properly. A shirt and no tie means 'down the pub'. :-)

Take care
Lynn
x

[ Today's lyric: Putting on the Ritz by Irving Berlin. Something I cannot hear without thinking about Young Frankenstein :-) ]

8 comments:

  1. Nice togs is nice threads. Ergo, wotsit, etc.

    I don't mind the whole suit without a tie thing; I used to wear a thoroughly beaten Sex Pistols t-shirt with a very nice linen suit. (Naturally colored linen, I might add! :-) And tailored to fit. :-D )

    One trip to New York, I did the whole "English Gentleman" thing; cost me a damn fortune, and I wore the costume(s) for about two weeks. It became too much like a school uniform.

    But nice clothes are nice to wear - they should be. The gender of them is irrelevant, really.

    I can tell a cheap suit a mile off, and I won't wear one. Mind you, I haven't had reason to wear any suit in a few years, now. Which is fortunate as none of my old ones fit. They shrank. I didn't grow. Really. Except my tum. And that's only temporary. Really. Etc. :-) (Diet? Isn't that a parliament, somewhere?)

    And don't even get me started about those decorative nooses I was obliged to attire myself with. Which doesn't explain, in any way whatsoever, why I kept the really good ties when I tossed out most of my collection.

    :-D

    Carolyn Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, thanks for raising the idea that my old suit/tie habits (which were rather peacocky seen in the rear view mirror) were perhaps some low grade substitute for the much more entrancing cross dressing that occupies mind and body today.

    And Carolyn darling, so right you are, there really is no wrong setting for a Pistols t-shirt.

    With all that said though, I lament the loss of decent neckwear at least this side of the pond. Grenadine knits, real poplin regimentals, dapper English neckwear is gone. God help the colonies.

    And as far as the suit without tie goes, it is to me the skirt without tights. There are very few who can carry the under-dressed look with any kind of panache.

    Happy dressing from either side of the wardrobe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to dress up as either gender. I've got a number of frilly "pirate" shirts, a rather dapper 40's style brown pinstripe suit, and a number of unusual bits and bobs that can transform a mundane outfit into something special.

    I suspect if men's fashions had been more interesting (consider the Golden Age of Piracy, the Court of the Sun King, or even the Edwardian fops) when I was growing up, trannying may have been less of a draw

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've belatedly come to enjoy dressing smartly. I was a grungy student, back in the day... but been there, done that. Nowadays I feel that there's nothing quite so bad as feeling that you're not quite dressed right for an occasion, either over or under... but under-dressed is usually worse.

    Oh, and I wore a shirt without a tie on Wednesday. The only pink (boy) garment that I own, it calls for a little more raffishness, I think.

    But maybe I worry too much about these things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn: The rock t-shirt and suit is one of those combos that doesn't sound like it should work, but does.

    Clothes can be inexpensive but should never be cheap. :-)

    Petra: Skirt + tightless? In summer maybe, but again, it depends on the person. Oddly this summer I saw a number of young ladies in heavy opaques and miniskirts. That just didn't seem right during the summer somehow. But what would I know, I'm just a simple tranny :-)

    There's nothing wrong with a band t-shirt (IMO) so long as you know who the band are. There was an interview with an old school rocker where he asked the interviewer, "So, which is your favourite Ramones track?" The interview was unable to answer :-)

    Pandora: That's a fascinating point. Oddly, I now find myself wearing more jeans / trousers as I see women in the same garb. If I'm in male mode, I don't like to look dull - I suppose there are some guys who don't care about their appearance - but I always have. I may not have got it right, but that's another story :-)

    When Mrs Jones and I go to a fany dress party - we tend to throw ourselves in... after all, it's a chance to be more than a bit outrageous and have a laugh.

    Suomy: Happy holiday? :-) Yes, men's shirts in pink - unthinkable a few years ago, but now just part of the (office) scenery.

    I remember skinny jeans and bit boots the first time round, so now I'm a little wider, I won't be revisiting that trend.... well, at least for my male wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are some who can pull of that tieless look very nicely, but it takes a very nice shirt...

    I don't own either at this point!

    alan

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last time i wore a tie it wast't in boy mode nicely complementing my trouser suit. Some people can pull off the tie-less casual look other times it looks inappropriate or like a pr has told them to look less stuffy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucy: Tie and trouser suit? That sounds cool.

    Stylists eh? Sometimes right, sometimes a one way trip to 'GoFugYourself' :)

    ReplyDelete