Friday, December 12, 2008

"All you need is some friends,
Won't be by yourself..."

Hey peeps,

Crikey the week's gone fast; almost faster than a politician's election promise. Christmas shopping. Christmas concerts and, of course, Christmas parties. My belly's full, my waist line is slowly expanding and my feet are tender. Not that I'd like it any other way. Let the good times roll! :-)

We, the Jones family, are in the chaos that is the Xmas party season. Still, nice to be popular though eh? I had the work do at the start of the week, the Chams do Thursday and we're off tonight for drinks and nibbles at a friend's house. I think we get Saturday off for good behaviour.

The Good

The do at Nottingham Chameleons was, if I may say so, very good indeed. I arrived earlier than usual with the hope of lending a hand, but when I got in most of it was done! The tables were out and decorated, the food table was already groaning, the cooker was blasting out tasty smells and the music centre was lit up like the proverbial Christmas tree.

So... a quick (!!) change upstairs and I was back in the thick of it. The group had suggested a Mama Mia / Abba theme for the night, so it wasn't the usual array of party frocks :-) After much running around town, I did manage to lay my hands on some white leggings (chactastic :-D ), so it was on with a long floaty blue top, white leggings, flower in my hair and knee boots for a TG tribute to Abba. Take a chance? Go on then :-)

BTW, I can thoroughly recommend Rimmel's fasting drying '60 Second' nail varnish. A quick neutral base coat to prep and then on with the colour. You have to be quick mind, but it does dry nicely. Also, Nailene do a varnish remover in a pot: just stick your finger in the tub, give it a spin and it's gone.... UK readers may wish to say "Bang! and it's gone" :-)

I brought a couple of items for the raffle and the winners seemed suitably chuffed. How much will be kept or re-gifted I can't say, but the group's coffers certainly did well out of it. After the food and the raffle, we cranked the music up and had a bit of a dance. The Abba mix seemed to go okay and I think mixing the tracks together will have to be the done thing from now one. I wonder if I can get my MP3 player to link with the stereo? Then again, Nine Inch Nails isn't that festive is it. :-)

The Bad

At Chams we get a fair flow of new people. Some become regulars, some occasional and some folk are once in a blue moon. Anyways, a husband and wife turned up to the Christmas do and Tracey went off to do the meetin' 'n greetin'. As she pointed out, both looked very nervous which is totally understandably. It's a hell of a jump for most people - perhaps doubly so for partners. What is this crazy world they've landed in?

A little while later I popped into the loo to reapply my lip gloss. I wasn't alone, I could hear quiet conversation and there was definitely gentle crying. I felt really bad for both of them. Partly through trespassing if you like (Ed: but not enough to not blog about it eh?) but also because I didn't want them to be afraid. I asked if everything was okay and I got a yes and then I left them to it. They didn't join the rest of us and I wish they had. I hope things work out for them, I really do.

Yes, finding your partner is TG is a shock, but there are wives at Chams who've been through that. Chams isn't just about dressing up and dancing about like a loon - it's about looking after each other.

A note of thanks

I don't know how many of you follow some of the links from the blogroll. Anyways, Vanessa recently asked for some positive TG stories from real life. Rather than leave her hanging, I dropped her a line and she was kind enough to make that available on her blog. If you've got a story you'd like to share with her and us - anonymously or otherwise - please visit her blog.

Take care
Lynn
x

[ Today's lyric: Round Round by the Sugababes ]

11 comments:

  1. So I've spent this evenign listening and watching Abba video's. You, dear lady, YOU! are responsible for this heinous crime! :-D

    Actually, I love ABBA. Please don't tell anyone. Please?

    They were a formative experience; as a youth, I wanted to be the dark-haired lady - all those dark curls, cascading down my face - oh my! I settled on lusting after the blonde - and lusting after being her. Or at least having my hair done the same way... :-)

    (I love Nottingham. I've not been there for years, but I do love the city. I've spent a few too many hours in that pub below the castle; oh, what is it called? And Nottingham is where I bought my first dancing dress. :-) )

    I should have gone down to Nottingham the last time I was in the UK; alas, I didn't have the time.

    :-)

    Carolyn Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many in this world walk past those every day who could obviously use a kind word; thank you for having the courage and the heart to care!

    alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the nightmare. You have The Conversation (yes, that one) and after a long pause summon up the courage to visit a local group. And persuade the Wife to come. And she really really doesn't like it. What then? Tough one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A NIN christmas album would be a welcome change from the usual songs played endlessly :)

    Hard to know what to do in such situations, hope they can work it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn Ann: LOL. Your journey to the Dark Side is almost complete.... :)

    You mean The Trip? It's still there. :)

    Alan: Thanks - I think! :)

    Penny: Hi Penny. I guess keeping talking - but not keep on about it.... if that makes any sense. It is a hell of a jump for a partner to come along. Some like it, some don't. I guess it's very hard to tell.

    Lucy: LOL. That would be excellent. Tootling through the supermarket until 'Wish' comes on. Oh the carnage! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can not tell a lie, I caught ABA fever many, many moons back and I still enjoy them... To this day. In fact I'm listening to ABA Gold right now, this very minute.

    Glad you had a great time partying, that's awesome! Yes Virgina you can plug your MP3 player into the stereo, just plug it into the line in and set that balance right, and off you go. No brainer that...

    I read what you wrote for Vanessa, right o! I've got plenty of success stories, but I don't know they'd apply. I never really dressed before I transitioned. Well there was the period when I had some electric blue spandex pants that I wore roller skating... Then again, lots of folks wore them, so I don't know that it counts.

    The conversation? Ha, never got to have that one with my love. He had it with me first. Yeah, leave it to me to marry a closeted bloke. Worked for a while, sort of. Eventually the pressure became to much for him and he died, and me, I finally did what I'd wanted since I was five. I transitioned and fixed this horrible problem of mine once and for all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Samantha: Maybe your story will apply, maybe it won't. Why don't you drop Vanessa a line if you think it'll help someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...Nine Inch Nails isn't that festive is it. :-)

    This reminds me of some Christmases back in the late '90s when I did a radio show called "The Black Christmas Special". Basically, since none of their regular programmers were on the air on Christmas Day, the Adelaide University radio station (which I had some association with at the time) would give airtime (in generous two-hour slabs) to anyone who wanted to be a radio star for the day. I took advantage of this enticing offer a couple of times, and as you may have guessed from the name of my programme, dedicated my time on the airwaves to playing the most un-Christmassy songs I could find in my CD collection. Some of the songs I remember playing were Love is Dead by a long-running German metal band called Atrocity (I think that one was from their Gothic phase); The Funeral Seemed to be Endless by the Swedish black metal band Marduk (to this day, that one remains the hands-down winner of the 'Metal Song with the Cheesiest Title' honour); and Fuck Christmas by Tankard, another German heavy metal band. (The last one had its chorus tastefully set to the sound of ringing Christmas bells, and ended with the vocalist muttering, "He was fucking born in August anyway.") God, I was such a Scrooge back then... I still am! (Sigh. Looks like I'll be getting that visit from those three depressing ghosts on Christmas Eve again. God, I hate those guys!)

    On another Christmas-related topic, I've attempted to do some Christmas shopping, but so far, the only presents I've bought have been for myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zosimus: Quite possibly just what you want to hear after weeks of being in the shops hearing the same old Xmas tunes again... and again. :) Ahhh.. Tankard. LOL. Feed the Lohocla? :)

    Xmas shopping for oneself? Sounds fun!! :) I've been unusually good this year and bought nothing (bar last week's leggings) but pressies for everyone else... indeed, Mrs Jones' present box is overflowing. And no, it's not a small box either. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Lynn,

    Thanks for the shout out. You post also reminds me that I need to spend more time out as Vanessa. I can't be too old already for some good dancing and fun, now can I? :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vanessa: You're welcome... oh and happy new year! :)

    ps: Remember, you're as old as you feel. :-P

    ReplyDelete