Sunday, November 02, 2008

"Yesterday was easy,
Happiness came and went."

Hi folks,

This Saturday I had the good fortune to attend the Harmony event up in a big old hotel near Matlock. Despite having a fair bit of time to get ready, the journey up there took longer than expected. But, the Fates smiled and I did arrive with enough time to park up, pick what I wanted from the menu and get a drink in with the usual suspects. :)

How can I describe the event? I think it would have to be: interesting. One the one hand, I had a great time talking to friends, enjoying the meal and, of course, being a disco fiend, the dance that followed.

So why 'interesting' and not 'fabulous'? Well, truth be told and no disrespect to the organisers, I don't think Harmony was 'me'. Do you find you go to a film, a club or a venue and find that you don't quite click? The thing is good, but there's a little something missing. I mean, I've had some killer nights out just dancing the night away at Chams, murdering pop songs at tranny Karaoke or just having a good chin-wag with friends.

I think it's because I'm one of the lucky ones. I get to go out fairly regularly and visit a great bunch of people (four of which were also at the do: Sandy, two Tinas and Anna-Lou). I don't need to bottle myself away for a weekend once a year in a place far, far from home. So maybe I'm spoilt and it's that that's colouring my perceptions. :)

But that's not the whole truth if I'm honest... and I feel a bit bad about saying this, but the beauty pageant thing they did after the meal felt rather odd. I think there must have been a good hour between the meal finishing and 'the tour' starting up. I was asked if I'd like to judge the entrants and I politely said no. It's not my thing. I don't like competitions like that. It's kinda like you're going to point your finger at the people who don't win and say "you're sh**". Perhaps that's why I'm not a fan of talent shows that pepper the television schedules.

As I was saying to Rebbecca, and her to me for that matter, we're all just blokes in frocks at the end of the day. Sure, we may be able to look well presented or stylish on occasion, but 99% are not going to look female. Maybe I'm getting the wrong end of the stick, but to run a competition for the best dressed or prettiest etc, well, it feels - what's the word? Unnecessary? Maybe, but 'antiquated' feels closer to what I'm fumbling for. Anyway, they'll be a video on YouTube later in the week, so you can make up your own mind if you want :)

Other than that intrusion, the evening went well and I had a good time. I just wished they'd run the pageant in another room and just let the folk who were interested in seeing it go. After all, those same folk may not have been interested in being subjected to the Scissor Sisters at full volume. :)

I guess you can please some of the people some of the time and all that. :-D

Take care,
Lynn

[ Today's lyric: America by Razorlight ]

13 comments:

  1. I think I understand your reasoning here. For me, the dressing is a means to an end, not the end in itself. I dress up and go out dancing, or singing karaoke or whatever.

    For others, the dressing is an end in itself.

    If an event focussed on the dressing at the exclusion of other activities, I don't think it would be my kind of thing either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I was worried I was coming across as a complete Scrooge. :)

    I feel a bit bad in posting my honest thoughts on the above. I think there's a risk of dwelling on the negative, when really, the meal, the time in the hotel bar and (mais oui!) the disco were top banana.

    Like you say though, we have the luxury of getting dolled up and then just going out. Oh the vanity! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dolled up is appropo for you...I've seen photos!

    My soon to be 10 year old grandson was trying to stand in the center of a (push) merry-go-round in the park yesterday shouting "Do the disco" as he tried to keep his balance. I don't know where he picked that one up...

    alan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alan: You flatterer you! :) Luckily no photos are available to show that the camera really does lie :D

    That grandson comment make me chuckle. Where do kids get it from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always a problem: if you're a bloke in a dress, and look like it, does that negate what you're doing? Not really. (It's one reason I don't have more than that one picture of me up; I look like a bloke in a dress.)

    Honest writing is always the best; if people can't figure out the bittersweet, it's not your job as a writer to guide them by the hand to that point. Such writing tends to the pedantic and tedious.

    It's always seem to be the case that the negative takes more words than the positive, though! I don't know if that skews the impression, or not. I doubt it for the intelligent reader, however.

    I've always liked Matlock; haven't been in years, though. There was a great real-ale pub there, on that road by the cliff and park; I forget the name of the both the road and the pub. Sorry.

    Pity about the lack of pics. :-(

    Carolyn Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carolyn: I don't know about you, but I kinda gave up on the whole 'passing' thing. Why worry about the unobtainable? :)

    I didn't get to see much of Matlock - considering the it was pretty much pitch black by the time I rolled in. I'm guessing sweeping views and fantastic moorland crags awaiting.... if I had nightvision. :) The hotel was nice and the staff excellent. As to pics, well, if I get any off the folk who went, I'll let you know. Just be careful what you wish for. Still, should keep the kids/cats away from the fire :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep. I know what you mean about passing. I know girls who look far better than me and still stress over passing.

    I'm now at the stage where I just do my best, and then think "stuff it, I'm going out anyway". Any subsequent passing (real or perceived) is a bonus :D

    And remember, no better how bad you think you look, you'll find a worse looking GG passed out in a gutter, somewhere in town on a Friday/Saturday night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pandora: maybe it's a confidence thing. Needing to pass. I like your attitude tho! (attitood?) :)

    Oh, there's almost always someone who looks scarier... Certainly going out on a Saturday night with the boys one weekend, I saw some sights... and not always in a good way. It's not just trannys who have fashion uniforms. Short skirts, footless tights + heels seemed mandatory for 95% of the young ladies in town. :) I wouldn't mind, but some of them did struggle to walk.... the lightweights :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. "but I kinda gave up on the whole 'passing' thing. Why worry about the unobtainable? :)"

    Totally agree with Pandora. Let's all get real and accept that we're going to get sussed. That's my view and consequently can go out and enjoy myself, regardless. If there's a twat about that wants to show off his/her powers of obvervation in a loud his, I'd happily recommend a therapist to him with his/her issues.

    Personally, I think passing is overrated.

    Good post Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rachel: I think passing's a nice to have - like the perfect pair of heels :) - but realistically - and given the genetic hand we're dealt, it's unlikley. Broad shoulders, height, big hands, etc.

    I think it's all to easy to fall into the trap of dwelling on what you don't have rather than looking at the good things. Your own sense of style, ability to not walk like a docker in drag, make-up skills, etc :)

    ps: Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think sometimes we may have a distorted view of what woman are like, and in striving to fully experience womanhood we fall into our own male-conceived notions of what we should do - hence a beauty contest as a fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ditto on the comments about passing. While it's nice to be mistaken for a girl (and it has happened to me a few times, almost invariably when I've not been expecting it), I'm not going to be heartbroken if it doesn't happen; indeed, one thing my own CDing has taught me is that you don't need to pass to look good in women's clothing (and as you say Lynn, CDing does help give you your own sense of style).

    Regarding another matter that was brought up in the original post - the fact that the beauty pageant was set to the Scissor Sisters being played at deafening volume - I hate being anywhere where the music's so loud I have to shout just to have a conversation. I used to frequent a music venue that was actually pretty good in that regard; there was a room out front where things were a lot quieter and you could carry on a normal conversation. Unfortunately, there always seemed to come a certain point in the evening when some arsehole on staff would turn a jukebox in that part of the building on, and leave it on for the rest of the night (the volume set, of course, to ear-shredding).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Zosimus: Lucky you! :) Sorry, my post may have been a bit jumbled; the pagent was without music - just a rather witty commentary - and the disco didn't kick off until later. I won't be able to listen to that Scissor Sisters' track without think about Harmony now :)

    ReplyDelete