Friday, August 15, 2008

"We're gonna have a good time,
We' re gonna have a party..."

Hey y'all,

How's it going? All fab and groovy I hope!

After last week's kick in the spiritual nuts, this week's been a bit of a hoot. Thursday saw the annual 'Cream on the Green' at Nottingham Chameleons. Basically, it's an excuse to have a party, eat food that'll make your skirt tight (Ed: no, not like that!) and dance the night away in good company.

For a laugh, this year's do had a movie theme: so come along as your favourite movie star or character. Numerous ideas went through my head as this was suggested. I considering hiring an outfit, but I wanted something that went with the wigs I had in. I fancied the idea of going as Wonder Woman but - and because I'm a perfectionist, I didn't want to do black boots with the outfit. Yeah, I know that's a bit fan boy, but hey, I like to call them "standards" :-)

Thinking about what I had in: black trousers, dark hair (Ed: you mean wig don't you Lynn?) I couldn't help but think Pulp Fiction. A quick jaunt into town and I had a fitted white shirt but no time to road test the outfit.... Well, okay, what if that doesn't work? I had a short grey skirt. St Trinian's perhaps?

Perhaps this next bit'll strike you as odd, but as I drove to the venue, the idea about doing 'school girl' just felt... well... a bit odd. I was going to do the outfit with freckles, bunches and comedy Chav earrings (don't tell me you don't know the type), yet as I drove through town and thought about it, the less I fancied the idea. Is that nuts? I'm over-analysing a fancy dress outfit which frankly, isn't the whole idea to be a) silly and b) over-the-top? Yeah, I mean sure, there's an element of oddness in a guy going to a meeting to dress up in women's clothes, but I hope you catch my drift :-) Odd, but a few years ago (pre-going out to Chams) I would have been more than happy to have done so. Trannys eh? :-) Is it that it could be considered cliche? I just don't know. Anyway, I did a quick try-on in the changing room and my mind was made up: Mia Wallace is was. That or scary tranny waiter. It could be either depending on how you look at it! :-D (Ed: More wine? Sir? Madam?)

The 'Do' itself went well - even though I supplied the music :-) - and we had a treat of home made curry in addition to the usual nibbles. The movie music quiz seem to go down well and then it was on to the raffle. I didn't win, but really that's not the point. We got quite a few quid in and that'll help boost the group's funds nicely. After that we turned the music up and had a dance... only three songs later I found myself dancing on my own. Still, I love to dance even if it was on my tod. I wonder if that's how Bez feels :-)

After that it was time to get changed and help folk tidy up. I felt a twinge of guilt as a few folk had gathered by the door. I don't know if that's because they wanted peace & quiet or if they want to chat with the smokers. Who can tell! There's always the off button. :-)

All in all, I had a grand time.

Later alligators,
Lynn
x

[ Today's lyric: Loaded by Primal Scream ]

ps: The observant amongst you will have noticed a contact form on the bottom right hand side of the screen. So, if you've anything to say you don't want to say in public - for whatever reason - there you go.

pps: A bit of late news... and following on from an earlier post about the 'gay gene' theory. There's an interesting story on NewScientist that looks at the theory from another view point.

4 comments:

  1. I'd love to have heard your playlist!

    Very glad you enjoyed yourself so much, though I can't imagine you ending up dancing alone!

    alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed yourself, Did you dance like the great man as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan > Seeing as you asked, the new CD had on it:

    1 - Louis Armstrong - What a wonderful world
    2 - Marilyn Monroe - Diamonds are a girl's best friend
    3 - Simon and Garfunkle - Mrs Robinson
    4 - ABBA - Mamma Mia
    5 - Rose Royce - Car Wash
    6 - Dolly Parton - 9 to 5
    7 - Kenny Loggins - Footloose
    8 - Jarmiroquai - Deeper Underground
    9 - Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes - (I've Had) The Time of My Life
    10 - Girls Aloud - Jump
    11 - Lynard Skynard - Sweet Home Alabama
    12 - Reservoir Dogs Soundtrack - Little Green Bag
    13 - Presidents of the USA - Video killed the radio star
    14 - Smashmouth - I'm a believer
    15 - The Ramones - wonderful world
    16 - Carly Simon - The Spy Who Loved Me

    I was getting changed so I missed the first few numbers. Probably for the best tho, make-up & exercise don't mix well do they.

    Egotist and show-off that I am, dancing on my own isn't much of a problem. :-D But fun at the expence of others? That's a different kettle of fish.

    Lucy > LOL. Ahh, you're twisting my melon, man :D

    My movement to music (I hesitate to use the word 'style') differs greatly from Bez, aka the Lord of the Dance. I'm pretty sure he never managed to boogie through Footloose in heels. But hey, I could be wrong... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never dreamt I'd see Louis and Marilyn on the same playlist as Skynard or the Ramones!

    As for dancing, it's safer if I just watch...

    Thank you for the smile that list brought!

    alan

    ReplyDelete