Friday, August 01, 2008

"Saturday,
When these doors were open-ended.."

Hiya,

Roads are empty, parks are full and shop centres heave with teenagers. The school holidays are upon us once again. How time flies eh?

Just last week I was with my son at his mate's birthday party. The young guests were certainly enjoying themselves and the weather kept things perfect. One of those childhood summers where the fun never runs out and the sun is shining.

There seemed - at least to me - a certain amount of magic in the air that afternoon. Perhaps it was just my parental knowledge of knowing that the school holidays were well underway and maybe the happy recollections of my own childhood. With the sun shining and the kids all laughing, I felt a buzz of excitement: as if we were on the cusp of something. It felt like they were all about to embark on a big adventure, ride out into the sun-set on mini Magnificent Seven vibe.

I don't know if you do this or not, but there are certain days or times of the year that have this feeling of magic to them. Christmas is one of those - or it is now I have kids. In my working life it all seemed a blur of work parties and shopping trips to get things for people. Don't get me wrong, I like shopping and I like giving presents... just maybe not having to do it all when everyone else is would help :) Now we've got kids, things have settled down to a family affair and - as most parents will say - the look on their faces is what makes it all worthwhile.

Another time is Saturday - especially Saturday morning - as this gives me the feeling that I felt at the party. You have the whole weekend in front of you. Two days to do what you like - well almost what you like - with no ties to deadlines or work guff to get in the way. There's the will it / won't it roller coaster of the British climate and understandably the affect that has one where you can go and what you want to do.

Opposite of Saturday is Sunday which to me always feels like Saturday's slower and ploddier sibling. The thrill of the weekend is waning and indeed if the TV can be used a barometer of our mood, then Sunday is the quiet walk in the park compared to the glitzkreig rave that Saturday's TV is. Ironically, I don't watch much TV during these periods. Indeed, apart from a few regular shows, TV use seems to be waning in our house. The Internet seems far more interesting.

So... umm... enjoy the weekend! :-)

[ Today's lyric: Saturday by Fall Out Boy ]

11 comments:

  1. Wish my weekends were like that...

    Doing the VAT return right now, or I should be, instead of reading T-Girl blogs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyday I rise with a list of things I will accomplish in my head...then I turn on this magic box to check e-mail and the news and drop around to see how some "friends" are.

    Then suddenly it's lunch time and nothing is done...

    Sometimes even breakfast!

    alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel > You have my sympathy with filling out those forms.

    Alan > LOL. Oh yes, the Internet is a fantasic way to pass time. There's an old gag:

    "Give a starving man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Show him the Internet... and he'll never bother you again." :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of the funniest lines I've ever read!

    :o)

    alan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ay, it is indeed a curse and an inspiration - wouldn't have it any other way. Just need to know how to reclaim the time.

    Have the government got a form for that, too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weekends - what are those? :) For well over a decade now, I've been working in an industry (aged care) that involves shift work; as a consequence, my "weekend" lies in the middle of the week, a situation that has its share of positives and negatives. On the plus side, it means I can go to places like the cinema or park when no-one else is likely to be there (a most attractive thing for a somewhat anti-social bastard such as myself). On the minus side, it can create problems when it comes to doing things with friends or engaging in other social events. When you work unusual hours, you quickly learn just how many things in society are still geared towards people who work 9 to 5 Monday to Friday (despite the old 40-hour working week arguably well on its way to being consigned to the dustbin of history). It can be a real hassle when your friends are organizing something, and you're the only one in the group for whom, say, 6:30 Saturday night is not a good time to get together. You also find yourself constantly fighting the urge to sink your fist into the face of every simpering idiot who enjoins you to "Have a nice weekend", given Saturday and Sunday are just ordinary working days for you. (The most exasperating of these people I've encountered is a workmate who knows weekends don't exist for me (and indeed works them herself), yet persists in telling me to enjoy mine. Go figure.) Still, all things considered, I find the positives outweighing the negatives (I'm sure I would have done something to change my situation by now if that were not the case). I vowed to myself years ago I was never going to work regular hours after noticing just how frickin' miserable everyone seemed to be on public transport during rush hour; I'm glad I've managed to keep that promise to myself so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah fuck, after venting at people who tell others to have a nice weekend, I've just realized, upon re-reading the original post, that you've done the same thing yourself! Rest assured that my hateful sociopathic fantasies of visiting violence upon such people don't apply to you. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go off to atone for my faux pas by ceremonially disembowelling myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zosimus > LOL! No need for that just yet. :-)

    Backtrack: warp 9! :-)

    I do know what you mean. I did work shifts for a bit and to be frank, it did my head in. The break in the middle of the week - our weekend if you like! :-D - was nice because people would be at work and places like the cinema would be quieter. That said, it was only cool while I was on my tod. I did miss my friends and mentally, I get geared up (not, not as in smacked up) on a Friday that I know I can put my feet up for two days.

    So now I'm back on the 9 to 5 treadmill, but I don't mind. Perhaps it's because I don't use public transport. Mind you, it would help if there was some closer than a mile's walk to the nearest bus stop :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe I meant 'weekend' in its spiritual essence rather than San/Sun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I seem to spend more time online as well, spend a lot of time watching tv on my computer as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucy > I think there's a big shift in people moving away from tradional TV. While that's not to say that everyone will be leaving scheduled programming just yet, things are changing.

    ReplyDelete