Friday, July 11, 2008

"Walking round the room singing stormy weather..."

Howdy y'all,

Another week zips by eh? Where does the time go? It's funny, I think as an adult time moves differently than when you where a child. Well, okay, the perspective of time at least :-) As a child, time would (on occasion) *really* drag. You know, certain lessons, queuing, is it Xmas yet? Whereas as a adult time seems to be the opposite: it zips by and there doesn't seem to be enough of it. Even with that extra 25th hour, I think they'd be stuff that just didn't get done. But then, how much of what we do is important in the big picture?

There was a good turnout at Chams the other night - quite a packed event in many ways. I met a couple of new people, Sarah and Cherrie (thanks for the nail varnish remover, Cherrie!). In a nod to the 80s, I'd gone for leggings and a long top. Such is fashion eh? Apart from the usual witty banter and chat, the group decided that next month we'd have a party. After chucking about a few ideas for a theme, we settled on 'movie stars'. Someone suggested a Chewbacca outfit but if so, that's going to be one hell of a waxing appointment. :D Now, the questions are who to go as and how to put the outfit together? Something to think about during meetings eh? :)

While driving through the rain the other day, I found myself pondering how much of a link there is between fashion and our climate. Yes, I appreciate it's quite obvious when you consider it in terms of 'what to wear today'. However, I was thinking a bit broader than that. What if you lived in a climate where it was less varied than the UK? I wonder what it's like for countries (and TG people in those countries) where the seasons are less defined. I mean make-up and a wig during the hot months? No thanks! :) Then there's all that skin that's bared when in hotter climes. Equally, in a cold climate those summer dresses aren't going to be of much use. While we may live in a world of global branding, some items are just not going to sell well.

While I do look at other people's blogs, the places I go to a pretty much limited to the ones written in English (Ed: Babelfish? What's that then?). I wonder what it's like to be a tranny in another country? Africa, Japan, Sweden or South America for example? Perhaps there's a bit of homework. :D

Take care,
Lynn

[ Today's lyric: Weather with you by Crowded House ]

10 comments:

  1. Coming from a country with a fairly variable climate myself (ie Australia), I couldn't tell you how cross-dressers dress in places like the tropics, although if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say they probably dress a lot like the ones in our own respective corners of the globe. I recently read a book about the "Democratic" Republic of Congo, a country that straddles the Equator, and discovered that there's a dandy subculture there (known as "La Sape"), whose members wear suits and other items of clothing that you'd assume would be hideously impractical in the tropics. Maybe it's the same for CDers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know there are some here in "the Bible belt" but I can't imagine trying to get through life here, as opposed to either Coast!

    Perhaps that's why Dorothy went "Over the Rainbow" to escape this place!

    alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to your research paper on trannies living in other countries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zosimus > Suits in the tropics? Mind you, in hotels in hot climates you often see the staff with a jumper or vest with them. I guess to them it must be freezing! :)

    Alan > There's a lot of stuff in the Bible Belt that goes on, but isn't talked about :)

    Rachel > LOL. I think you'll have to wait a bit for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess in hotter climbs you just don't go out in the heat of the day. Only mad dogs and English trannies do that :)to paraphrase Noel Coward.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn > Actually, I once had a teacher who said that he'd had kids from various parts of the South Pacific in some of his classes, and that they were often in jumpers when everyone else would be sweating away in short-sleeves - to them, it really was freezing. Of course, the hotel staff you mentioned might have been carrying jumpers and vests because the air-conditioning was on an arctic setting - it's something that happens over here a lot during the summer.

    On the subject of suits in the tropics, not even they could be as impractical as the stuff women are compelled to wear in public in places like Saudi Arabia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucy > Yup. That rings a bell. I think we've all see a bright red Englishman (sans sunhat) strolling through the noonday sun.

    Zosimus > I guess temps are relative then. Maybe a couple of cold northern winters are needed to make you think the English seaside is actually tropical! :)

    The less said about restrictive dress in certain countries the better. I've noticed that dress arrive over here. Culture or oppression? There's a heated debate in the making.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, temperatures certainly are relative. It's currently winter down here in the Southern Hemisphere, and although the temperature where I live seldom drops below zero, it nonetheless feels unbearably cold a lot of the time. As I often remind myself, though, it could be worse; I could be living on one of the moons of Neptune, for example. :) As for your comment about the English seaside, yes, I've heard that that's not terribly warm, even during the summer. And all your beaches are covered with pebbles too (or so I hear?)! What's up with that?

    With regards to Islamic dress, back when I was at Uni (around the first half of the '90s), I'd see a lot of female foreign students - probably from places like Malaysia - in Islamic garb. The stuff they wore tended to look very pretty, though - lots of brightly-coloured, often silky, fabrics - and they always showed their faces. Some would just wear a headscarf with typical Western garb, which often looked quite good. I've nothing against such attire from a purely aesthetic or cultural point of view, although the religious aspects of it can be disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zosimus > LOL. Ooo, look another Methane volcano. :)

    There are beaches with pebbles - which I know contradicts what most of us would consider a beach - but (obviously) not all of them are. There's a few which are pebbles, then sand, then stink sea-weed and finally surf + sand. Luckily tho, there's no sea wildlife that'll kill you.... unlike more tropical climates. :-)

    I've noticed a few Islamic women with the full "eye's only" head to toe gear on when in Leicester.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw one of those women myself when up at Queensland's Gold Coast about a year ago. It was weird; for just a moment, I felt as if I'd been teleported to the UAE or somewhere like that. As for some of your other comments, yeah, we don't have the pebbles on our beaches, but we sure do have the deadly marine life - sharks, sea snakes, lethal jellyfish, blue-ringed octopuses and more! We have the stinky seaweed as well; I once spent a few years living on the coast, and there were days when the weather conditions were just right to cause that lovely stench to be hanging over the whole town. Mmm mmm!

    ReplyDelete