Friday, May 09, 2008

"Among the fields of gold..."

Howdy y'all,

Summer has truly arrived hasn't it? Well, at least in the Midlands it has. The sun's been shining and the Great British public has stripped off due to the warmth. Gone are the coats, jumpers and boots - replaced by cropped trousers and strappy vests. Luckily, apart from a few offenders (wink), this trend is restricted to just the women-folk. :)

Today's lyric is a song title - Sting to be specific, but I'd accept Eva Cassidy too - although I could have gone for 'And it was all yellow' from Coldplay.... but I'm not a fan.

(Ed: *ahem*)

Ummm? Oh yes. So why the line? Glad you asked :) The fields around the southern parts of Nottinghamshire are aglow with oil seed rape. Indeed when driving through the countryside, you seem to be in a sea of yellow flowers. It certainly brightens up the view! Luckily the smell is quite nice and I hear that it doesn't upset hay-fever sufferers. In some ways it's a shame that Google Earth / MS wotsit aren't a bit more real time because I'd like to see just how much rape seed we've got around us. Surely we can't be eating that much marg? Is it destined for our fuel tanks instead as bio-fuel?

This leads us - because basically this blog is a stream of consciousness - (Ed: the Saints' be praised for the delete button!) to the future. I'm obsess- no, 'obsessed' is too strong a word - keen? interested? No... fascinated? Yup - fascinated with the change of the past to the future. I love to see old buildings, new ones go up and even the shift from what was once 'cutting edge' and is now an accepted part of the background. The same applies to fashion and not just because I'm a tranny. Okay. Well perhaps because I am a tranny. Let's face it, most (straight) blokes don't give a hoot do they? :)

In that regard, photos are like the record of our architecture. They let us see who we've been and what was once 'cutting edge' is now old hat. We move. We change. Indeed it seems a shame, to me at least, that a longer term record isn't kept of our high streets and city centres as buildings are ripped up and replaced with new ones. I don't mind change, but sometimes I'd like to see what's gone before. I've read that with the rise of digital storage, we run the risk of losing our photo records as CD corrupt or formats become obsolete. Ahhh, the price of progress. :)

Here's to a sunny weekend!
Lynn
x

3 comments:

  1. One of fascinating things about time is you can't impose a chosen direction to it. Some CDs etc will probably survive, just as written articfacts have. And just as randomly. It will continue to confine anthropology to an impercise science. But its still amazing that we actuall find occassionally a thousand year old document/letter/book.

    I hope if they ever find anything of mine 2000 years from now, its something better than a box of receipts for a hundred pairs of mint condition heels, worn only once. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you say, some things will survive. One of the key problems with any ancient technology is the ability for people to read it. A lot of early computer software is not longer available because the tapes / disks it was on, have perished. So it may be with data too. Unless you can read the format, the information is worthless. Still, fingers crossed eh? :)

    With all our talk and chatter on blogs, there's not a lot of the day to day business of what goes on in our time. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. On one hand you have the history listed in books or other places. Subculture blogs represent what's beneath the radar, what's going on in isolated pockets of society.

    As a side note, there's a wonderful piece in the first series of Doctor Who. The story is set way in the future and the hosts reveal an antique 'iPod' that plays music. They wheel on an old 50s jukebox and it starts playing Tainted Love. Clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have '78's that go back to 1918 (some of my Dad's and some of my own)and have hung onto turntables for them; my LP's and 45's as well. Before this strike came up I was browsing for a portable Victrola...just to have a mechanical way to play something "if".

    My cassettes I will probably try to burn to disc through the next few years before the tape disintegrates.

    Photo storage has become enough of a problem that I'm going to acquire a file cabinet and use the hanging disc glassines that the pros use until the next new medium comes along. Hopefully by then my daughter-in-law will be in studio someplace and she can transcribe them for me!

    We have photos we've inherited from my wife's family that go back 140 years, but so many aren't marked and mean nothing to anyone living...

    On a happier note; cropped trousers and strappy vests...hmmmm!

    :o)

    alan

    ReplyDelete